custom seat

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurblaine

custom seat

Post by blurblaine »

many a blur owner has commented on the seat of this mighty scooter. some like it, while many do not. i know the subject has been explored in the past, but i am taking a new approach = DIY.

got a 'extra' project seat from 'rush' (thanks, buddy) which was slightly cut down in the front area in the hopes it would allow his wife to get her feet on the ground while sitting on the seat.

i am 6'1", so i have the opposite problem = the natural seat hump pushed me too far forward and into a less than comfy riding position ... especially on longer treks.

i used the handy-dandy Thanksgiving electric knife to do additional surgery and remove the stock seat 'hump'. next i will add memory foam and more until i get a feel that i like ... so more pictures to come...

Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

since 'rush' had removed some foam before I used the 'turkey knife', I shaped the original foam into what I hope will be a good shape. Because of the seat frame under the foam, I wasn't going to be able to remove much more original foam with having to cut/change that frame = which I didn't want to touch. The original foam was now fairly thin in spots, so it is time to add some new foam to make for comfy riding.

traced the seat shape ... cut the foam with scissors ... added Elmer's spray adhesive to the top of the old foam and the bottom of the new foam and stuck 'em together... now I'm waiting for them to dry a bit before I get the 'turkey knife' back out to shape the sides of the new foam to match the angles on the old foam...

Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Blaine,

I've seen some of the seats Genuine were prototyping a while back (nothing apparently came of it) and they pretty much did it the same way, ha.

It seems like their goal was to flatten out the hump, and lower the profile, which probably turned out to be impossible. But if you're not worried about seat height, it's probably going to work out great. Looking good, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rush

Post by Rush »

To add to the intrigue this was originally Lostmycage's seat. Lookin good Apelsin Orkan.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Okay, I used the original seat cover fabric, and attached it over the foam with staples to sit and 'test ride' 4 versions last evening. After each attempt, I removed the staples and the seat fabric, then continued to cut down the foam with my electric 'turket-knife', then reattached the fabric to take another test ride...

ATTEMPT 1:
reshaped foam for initial test

ATTEMPT 4:
after continuing to 'cut down' and flatten the seat ... the result is not any better than the stock unit. :-(

NEXT STEP:
The biggest issue isn't the foam, it is the forward-pushing angle. The hard plastic seat frame has a large bulge in the middle to allow for helmet stowage under the seat. This bump is what won't allow further 'flattening' of the foam to create a better seating position for taller riders.

2 options:
- remove the seat frame bump to see if a better result can be achieved.
- add a ton of foam to the front part of the seat, adding many inches of total height to the riding position, and don't mess with the plastic seat frame...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

Rush

Post by Rush »

Cut into that seat pan man! Believe it or not I actually rode the Blur with just the seat pan and no padding for a little while.

BTW I was very happy with my recent SV650 seat modification done by Spencer. More here - http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Get any further on this project Blaine?

I'm only 5'6" and the seat pushing me forward has been my only complaint. Needs at least a few more inches of 'sittable' backwards space. Always feels like the seat is trying to push my butt forward and that little arc makes your hindquarters and pants keep rolling forward.
~~
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Tristik wrote:~~
Get any further on this project Blaine?

I'm only 5'6" and the seat pushing me forward has been my only complaint. Needs at least a few more inches of 'sittable' backwards space. Always feels like the seat is trying to push my butt forward and that little arc makes your hindquarters and pants keep rolling forward.
~~
i've not continued the project. made about 10 adjustments to the one in the pictures ... took rides too ... but never liked it better than the original. i would have to cut into the hard plastic to make it lower and have yet to do so...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250