gas indicator: range remaining when empty?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

gas indicator: range remaining when empty?

Post by Edwub »

I usually fill up when the electronic indicator has 1 blinking tick left, and fit in around 1.40 to 1.45 gallons. Today, I crossed over into the dangah-zone! No ticks left, for the first time ever. My odometer shows I'm at 82.5 miles...a new record for me on a single tank! I am going to fill up as I'm leaving work tonight.

I saw a dealership do a review (on youtube) and they had mentioned they get 15-20 miles past empty....that really surprised me. Then again, as I usually fill up to 1.45 gallons, I suppose I have a little wiggle room if the tank really does hold 1.7g. Maybe not much, since I seem to get worse MPG than average.

Was wondering how far people have pushed it? What's the largest fill-up you've done, and have you ever tracked how far you've gone once the Blur shows you're empty?
TygerCub

Post by TygerCub »

When I rode the Blueridge Pkwy, I took a gallon of gas with me since finding gas stations is problematic. I pushed the 220i to 110 before chickening out and filling it from the can (I was in an area with cliffs for shoulders and no scenic pull-offs in sight).

Granted, this was when the scoot was still under 1000 miles old, so things were still spiffy new. It will be interesting to see if I can repeat that performance now that I've crossed 3000 miles...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It's very conservative.

On short trips in the city with plentiful gas stations, I never ever fill up until all the bars are gone. I carry a MSR fuel can on longer trips to be safe, and let it run on no bars, telling myself I'll let it run out unless I see a gas station, and I always hit a gas station before I run out. I bet there's a good 10+ miles even on ZERO bars, probably 20+ with two bars blinking.

They're probably not all exactly the same, but I've had two Blur 150s, and they seemed pretty similar.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

I have seen over 1.6 gallon fillups a few times (1.65 being the largest) when the gauges reads empty. The tank is 1.9 gallons so you could probably squeeze some more out of it after "empty" like most vehicles... But hard to say how much... If you could run it to bone dry and are getting 65mpg probably like around 20 miles...

The most miles to a tank i've seen so far is 116.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

As mentioned, most of my fuel-ups are 1.4 to 1.45 gallons with 1 tick remaining on the indicator. On my first time venturing into the "no tick" zone, I made it to 83.5 miles before I chickened out....and filled it up with 1.57 gallons. (53mpg this time)

Guess I need to
a) hit the gym and shed a few pounds
b) move to a city without such horrible driving conditions (West LA <.<)

I could have gone further, but I wanted an idea of how much gas it'd take shortly after hitting the '0 tick' zone.

I was under the assumption that the tank held 1.7 gallons. Omniphil, it seems you're right: the manual says 7.5 liters which would be 1.98 gallons --- so it's actually almost a two gallon tank!! Surprised me. No wonder the video I mentioned said they can go another 20 miles or so. I'm just barely above 50mpg, so I guess that safely puts me at about 5 miles for every 0.10 gallons.

So if I usually fill up at 75 miles with 1.45 gallons...I could go to 95 miles and expect to be around 1.7ish per fill up! Maybe 90 to be safe <.<
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think you'd be safe in most cases, but keep in mind mileage does not equal volume, your mileage will vary quite a bit based on wind, weight, cargo, road surface, tire wear, quality of fuel, engine tune, tire inflation, road grade, ambient temperature and humidity, altitude, etc. so don't push it too far!

Bb.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I did almost 10 miles on zero bars in city stop-and-go traffic the other day, for what it's worth. YMMV. :) I haven't ridden since, maybe I'll do laps around the block until it dies.
rew750

Post by rew750 »

I ran my 150 completely out of gas a couple years ago. Had to walk it a half mile to a gas station on a hot summer day. But even though the manual says the tank is about 2 gallons it took 1.79 gallons to fill it up. So I wouldn't trust what the manual saids.