Sudden loss of engine power

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

muzakmonk11

Sudden loss of engine power

Post by muzakmonk11 »

I was cruising along at the top speed of 50-55 mph and suddenly felt like the engine was running out of gas while I had half a tank at the time. That is, the engine would lose power & then seemingly regain it several times for 1-2 seconds at a time. I pulled off the highway and the engine died in a parking lot. I let it sit for a few minutes while I called a mechanic friend for instructions. When I tried it again, it had some trouble starting and then fired up after 3-5 seconds of trying to turn over. Idle seemed totally fine so I drove around the parking lot without issue and then took back roads home.

Two things on the way home:

1) I still experienced the lugging sensation some while going up steep hills 40+ mph.

2) The tachometer (which has been stuck at 6k whenever the bike is on for months now) went from 6k at idle or just above idle down, down to zero whenever I gave it a little speed.

Anyone have ideas on what is going on or what are the steps to check this out? I'll call my local scooter shop tomorrow but I am hoping to take a look later this evening still. Thanks all.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I dunno about the Gmax 125 (if that is the bike you are referring to) but my 220 has a built in overheating fail safe on it that will kick in and does exactly what you are describing. Once it cools down things are fine but yea it feels like there is no power.

Your Tach is broken as you stated. I wouldn't think the two are connected in any way, just that the Tach is broken.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

Just based off of general vehicle mishaps could this also be an issue with the fuel delivery system? Maybe an injector or carb is clogged up or something of that sort?
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Could also be bad gas.