Blur 2011 vs. Blur 2012

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

WyoScoot

Blur 2011 vs. Blur 2012

Post by WyoScoot »

Hi folks - brand new here and have a very quick question: I am looking to purchase a new Blur 220i. I have a good deal on a 2011 model, but have a dealer wanting to sell me a 2012 model (actually, my bad, it's a 2013).

Did Genuine change this model from 2011 to 2013? Am I missing anything in taking advantage of a good deal on the 2011?

Thanks for your help - I can't find anything by searching here, looking on Genuine's site, or Googling this question...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

someone might correct me, but I don't believe they changed anything significant in that time. They're both fuel injected 220's. I'd love one but the brand new price is a bit much, even though I know it's worth it.

I say go for the 2011 if it's brand new unless the dealer gives you a big incentive.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I had posted this a while back in response to someone talking about their "2013 Blur"

What's funny is I just saw that my Blur was actually manufactured in August 2011 in Taiwan. I bought it at the end of August, it must have been fresh off of the line and imported! So I'm surprised you[Ormond] have a 2013 *this early* in 2012. In all honesty, I'm pretty jealous - the resale value difference between ours will probably be a hefty chunk, and they're at most manufactured only about 7 months apart!

That is my issue. If I had had the choice, I'd have jumped for a 2013 model. I might even have delayed my Blur purchase a few months just to get a "new" model year (esp since it skipped '12 to go to '13!). A two year difference seems silly when they're both new, but I imagine in five years time it will be a substantial difference in resale, and more importantly, perceived value. (5 year vs 7 year old scooter is how it'll be described, even if both new)
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Just saw Phil at the Genuine Scoot ride in RVA last weekend. I was on my Blur and he mentioned that they "tweaked" the computer system a bit in the newer ones. Obviously, you should theoretically be able to do this to an older model too, how one would accomplish that though would be a different story. Really, I don't think there are any significant differences I can see other than that maybe.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I'll ask him about any changes when I see him next week at Amerivespa. If anything, perhaps they made a tiny change in the overly pessimistic high temperature warning functionality that some of us have experienced. There may be a new program in the ECU that changes the value of when the high temp warning comes on. I think that they got a total of five complaints.

All things considered, it's still the perfect scoot
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Emgersh

Speedo accuracy better?

Post by Emgersh »

Could be totally random but my 2013 speedometer isn't as far off as the previous models seem, from comments here and elsewhere. 5% to max of 9% more optimistic than GPS. Maybe that's one of the small changes.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

How would you know what year your scooter actually is? I got mine yesterday(7/10) and it had a key tag which was marked as 2012, but the COO states the manufacture date was 6/11. Would mine be considered a 2011 or 2012? Funny thing is my dealer had my scooter and a gray one and said he doubts Genuine will have any more Blur's for him to buy. He suspects they may discontinue it due to poor sales. Has anyone else heard this?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

you could always call some other dealers and feel it out. sometimes they might do that to try to pressure the sale. Our local dealers don't sell them in droves like the Buddy and Stella, but they're still well loved.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I hope they wont stop importing the blur. Its a great bike but I have to admit I have had my scooter a little over a year now. But I have not seen another blur. My dealer went out of bussiness. He had two blurs when I bought mine a white and grey one. I bought the white one. He closed reasently but he still had the grey one.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I don't even own a Blur anymore so I'm not sure I should be posting.

The price premium on the Blur 220, in my opinion, doesn't really hold up against something like a Vespa. I've ridden both brands and comparing the two is, in my opinion, like comparing apples and fighter jets.

I really liked my Blur, but the Vespas I've ridden were, in my opinion, superior in every way.

And, as I see it, the problem is that if you're comfortable in the $4K price point range for what is arguably a toy for many people, it's not that much harder to get into the $6K price point range for a better bike with a much better resale value, better dealer network, better accessories.

I think Genuine made a huge mistake which they can rectify if they have the will: what they need to do with the Blur is re-market it as a performance bike but bring the aftermarket modifications to the table as well. Those of us who bought early were more than willing to spend more money on parts to improve the already fairly impressive performance. But Genuine left us - and the dealers - twisting in the wind. Something as niche-driven as a performance scooter requires more than the bike. It requires the community and the support of the manufacturer (PGO/Genuine in this case) to make it successful.

But Genuine sorta dumped the bike into their product line without really supporting it the way they should have. Again, I'm just Monday Morning QBing here.

They could solve the problem. I doubt they will, and the Blur will likely fade into obscurity. Which is sad, really. It's a delightful little bike, but it's too expensive for what it delivers, and not well-supported for the promise it supposedly holds.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Billy,

I spoke with Phil from Genuine at the ride here in RVA and basically said that the power plant on the Blur is maxed out more or less from the factory. I'd love to see a 250 or 260 kit for the thing and I am sure something is available in Asia (although I only speak English and Spanish so no way to know for sure) but that Genuine weren't going to be doing much to support the bike in the way of aftermarket stuff since so few of them are sold. I agree with you that it would be awesome to have Blur's get a sweet mod treatment here in the states....I doubt that will happen though.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:Billy,

I spoke with Phil from Genuine at the ride here in RVA and basically said that the power plant on the Blur is maxed out more or less from the factory. I'd love to see a 250 or 260 kit for the thing and I am sure something is available in Asia (although I only speak English and Spanish so no way to know for sure) but that Genuine weren't going to be doing much to support the bike in the way of aftermarket stuff since so few of them are sold. I agree with you that it would be awesome to have Blur's get a sweet mod treatment here in the states....I doubt that will happen though.
It won't happen at all - I think you're totally correct.

The travesty is that it was never going to happen. I think Genuine was short-sighted in their approach with this scooter. In my opinion, they should have fleshed out the performance accessories and made a "hop up" tuning community right from the beginning.

Doing so would have overcome the north american reticence toward performance scooters, which are obviously much bigger everywhere else in the world.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:Just saw Phil at the Genuine Scoot ride in RVA last weekend. I was on my Blur and he mentioned that they "tweaked" the computer system a bit in the newer ones. Obviously, you should theoretically be able to do this to an older model too, how one would accomplish that though would be a different story. Really, I don't think there are any significant differences I can see other than that maybe.
According to the person I spoke with at Genuine today there is no difference between 2011, 12, 13 or the upcoming 14 model Blurs. They are all the same. I was also told if desired I could have Genuine reprogram my ECU to the higher limits at no cost(I may have to pay for the R/I of the ECU by my dealer though.)