Blur vs buddy

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

m9k5j

Blur vs buddy

Post by m9k5j »

I've been debating between getting a buddy 170i and a Blur 220i and settled on the Blur since I'm 6'1 and it seems to fit me better. After reading posts on this website, I get the impression that the buddy is less likely to have problems. Is that a fair assessment? My dealer is about 50 miles from my house and I don't want to be making frequent trips there.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

After over 2000 miles, I've never had any real issues.

My MPG is worse than what others see, but I live in West LA and suffer through much higher traffic and stop&go driving.

For the first few months, I was a bit annoyed with the seat latch but it seems to have eventually loosened up. Never needed to take it in for extra service or warranty or anything. (Gone to a dealer twice in the 10 months of ownership: once for first service, once for my 2k checkup).

I love my Blur :) It's a lot of fun, and after being on one for a while a "normal" 150cc seems a bit too tame to ever go back to! (I've never been on a 170, but expect the Blur effect to be similar).
m9k5j

Post by m9k5j »

Edwub wrote:After over 2000 miles, I've never had any real issues.

My MPG is worse than what others see, but I live in West LA and suffer through much higher traffic and stop&go driving.

For the first few months, I was a bit annoyed with the seat latch but it seems to have eventually loosened up. Never needed to take it in for extra service or warranty or anything. (Gone to a dealer twice in the 10 months of ownership: once for first service, once for my 2k checkup).

I love my Blur :) It's a lot of fun, and after being on one for a while a "normal" 150cc seems a bit too tame to ever go back to! (I've never been on a 170, but expect the Blur effect to be similar).
I appreciate your comments. It's helpful to get feedback from someone who's spent some time on one. I'm planning to go out tomorrow to pick mine up. I'll have to come back and share my experience with it here.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A friend has a blur220. Only just over 1K miles so far, but no issues at all other than she complains of a stiff suspension a bit. I've ridden it a few times. Great brakes, fun to ride.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

at 2600 miles the only problem i have had is with the tach. some days it is just way off but it seems to reset itself.its not a problem that affects being able to ride though,after riding the 220 i cant imagine going to a smaller cc scoot.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I had my Tach go and the idle sensor go bad. Both of these issues were addressed under warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a blur due to these concerns.
m9k5j

Post by m9k5j »

Thanks for all your comments. I picked up my Blur yesterday and I enjoyed my 50 mile ride home. It's a 2013 and I'm interested in seeing if they've corrected the overly optimistic spedometer. Now I'm looking forward to getting through break in so I can enjoy better gas mileage.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

m9k5j wrote:Thanks for all your comments. I picked up my Blur yesterday and I enjoyed my 50 mile ride home. It's a 2013 and I'm interested in seeing if they've corrected the overly optimistic spedometer. Now I'm looking forward to getting through break in so I can enjoy better gas mileage.
My Blur was manufactured in 6/11 and the spedo is only about 2mph off according to the fixed radar units I pass daily.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Only problem I've had is that I stripped my gearbox oil drain plug, which seems to be common with all scooters. And one of mine got stolen, ha.

So I've had two and never had any Blur-specific problems. Both of mine were 150s, it may be that the 220s are more prone to issues, but from what I've heard on this list and the others I read, I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary, new models often have hiccups, the problem is when the manufacturer/distributor refuses to acknowledge and repair them under warranty, which is rarely an issue with Genuine.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Welcome to the Club M9k5j!

Higher psi on the tires (perhaps as high as 40 versus stock recommendation of 30) and a windshield seems to be the answer to the mpg question.
m9k5j

Post by m9k5j »

chickdr wrote:
m9k5j wrote:Thanks for all your comments. I picked up my Blur yesterday and I enjoyed my 50 mile ride home. It's a 2013 and I'm interested in seeing if they've corrected the overly optimistic spedometer. Now I'm looking forward to getting through break in so I can enjoy better gas mileage.
My Blur was manufactured in 6/11 and the spedo is only about 2mph off according to the fixed radar units I pass daily.
That's good to hear. On my ride home from the dealer I took a highway with a posted speed of 55. I kept my speedometer close to 55 the entire time and based on the traffic going the same direction I got the impression that the spedo wasn't very far off.
m9k5j

Post by m9k5j »

illnoise wrote:Only problem I've had is that I stripped my gearbox oil drain plug, which seems to be common with all scooters. And one of mine got stolen, ha.

So I've had two and never had any Blur-specific problems. Both of mine were 150s, it may be that the 220s are more prone to issues, but from what I've heard on this list and the others I read, I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary, new models often have hiccups, the problem is when the manufacturer/distributor refuses to acknowledge and repair them under warranty, which is rarely an issue with Genuine.

Bb.
Bummer about the stolen scooter.

That's good to hear about Genuine. I seem to be getting that same message from other posts as well.
m9k5j

Post by m9k5j »

Rush wrote:Welcome to the Club M9k5j!

Higher psi on the tires (perhaps as high as 40 versus stock recommendation of 30) and a windshield seems to be the answer to the mpg question.
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to give those a shot. Is the genuine windshield the way to go?
Rush

Post by Rush »

I like my genuine windshield because it is so easy to remove and put back on. Does a great job of improving aerodynamics and keeping the bite off in the winter. The mount looks like warthog tusks with the screen removed haha.

Someone on here suggested - http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/cit ... /f227-r26/

You may want to start a new thread called "windshields" or do a forum search to get a more comprehensive answer.