Tire Talk

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SevenhertZ

Tire Talk

Post by SevenhertZ »

So I replaced my back tire on the Blur. I only have a bout 100-150 miles on it but I don't feel like it is under me yet. I feel shaky on turns and it just feels strange. I have asked some of my bike friends and they say it is normal. Is it? I feel a lot less confident than the last back tire I had. For the record I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport Scooter Rear Tire 130/60
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Get out some good soap (one that will not leave a residue), some simply green and a good stiff brush (not wire, should be plastic for scrubbing floors or similar). Go to town on the tire a few times over making sure to also hit close to where the sidewalls start. The final scrub should be done with the simply green to get any final residue that may have been left over. This is normal... when you have scrubbed the living daylights out of it, it will feel much better. I won't open up any of my bikes until I hit at least 500 miles on either tire.

When the tire is formed, they have to spray in a releasing agent before filling in the mold. That releasing agent sometimes seeps into the molten rubber while the shape is being formed. Doing the tire scrub will help back down the break-in period to under 500 miles... but I like to be better safe than sorry.
SevenhertZ

Post by SevenhertZ »

great tip, thanks.