Hitting fuel cutout often

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

omniphil

Hitting fuel cutout often

Post by omniphil »

It seems I hit the 9500 rpm cutout pretty often now at a lower speed than I normally hit it at. So I assume something is wearing out. Sliders? Belt?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

More than likely the belt. Pull out a good gauge and check the measurements.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

spr0k3t wrote:More than likely the belt. Pull out a good gauge and check the measurements.
I was hoping it wasn't the belt, my first belt died at 2000 miles. And I have 3000 miles on the current belt.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Something tells me there may be something wrong with the scoot... for a belt to die so soon is not a common thing. Two belts dieing so quickly is odd. Check the driven and driving face pulleys to see if there's any mars or other things out of the ordinary. It's possible the driving faces may be chewing the belt little by little over time.
relenger

Post by relenger »

I'm not sure how long the belts last but if you killed off the first belt in 2000 miles then I'm sure the second one is dieing if your at 3000.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

I checked the drive faces before everything looked clean. The dealer installed the last belt so they inspected everything in there and said it looked good.

I ride probably 90% highway at 8000 to 9000 rpms, Other folks seem to do the same with theirs and they don't go through belts this fast. I'll have to open the case and measure the belt, maybe the belt if fine and the first one was just a fluke... I'm not go to keep this scooter if I have to replace a belt every 6 months at $150 per belt.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I'm not sure if the 220's the same as the 150, but have you checked the cooling inlet on the belt case/cover. On the 150, there was a foam element designed to keep crap out of the housing. If that gets all caked up with road crud, then you could be overheating your belt and shortening its life.

Another trick is to completely remove the foam element and replace it with some mesh material stretched over the mouth of the inlet and secured with a rubber band or cable tie. Something like the foot/toe from pantyhose or stockings.

Like I said, I'm not sure about the 220 being the same as the 150 in this respect.
relenger

Post by relenger »

charlie55 wrote:I'm not sure if the 220's the same as the 150, but have you checked the cooling inlet on the belt case/cover. On the 150, there was a foam element designed to keep crap out of the housing. If that gets all caked up with road crud, then you could be overheating your belt and shortening its life.

Another trick is to completely remove the foam element and replace it with some mesh material stretched over the mouth of the inlet and secured with a rubber band or cable tie. Something like the foot/toe from pantyhose or stockings.

Like I said, I'm not sure about the 220 being the same as the 150 in this respect.

You sir are correct! My 50cc burned up a belt in 600miles from heat! Make sure that belt stays cool! On my 50 I had to end up cutting the belt cover for more air flow. (it was bored to 80cc)