How easy is the Blur 220i to work on?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dkw12002

How easy is the Blur 220i to work on?

Post by dkw12002 »

I like to do my own maintenance. Presently I own a Vespa 300 Super and while it is a very good scooter, I am looking for something that does not require so much work to change spark plugs and adjust the valves. You have buy a couple of specialty tools for the body panels removal, remove some stuff like the exhaust, then pull off the fuel line and rotate the engine. Not rotate as in to find TDC, but rotate the entire engine at the swing arm pivot to gain access to the valve cover. Even the spark plug is very difficult to access. The Blur just came on my radar screen now that AF1 racing in New Braunfels started stocking Genuine scooters just a week ago. I like the lighter weight, 2-year warranty vs. 1 year for the Vespa, and 1 inch larger tires for highway riding. But I never even heard of the Blur until yesterday. What do you think? I would trade in my 2012 Vespa for a 2014 Blur 220i if maintenance looks manageable and everything else works out. I'm test riding one tomorrow. Your thoughts. I also own a 2013 Zero S, a 2014 Grom, a 2014 Ninja 300, and a 2006 Honda Metropolitan. Thanks.
skipper20

Re: How easy is the Blur 220i to work on?

Post by skipper20 »

dkw12002 wrote:I like to do my own maintenance. Presently I own a Vespa 300 Super and while it is a very good scooter, I am looking for something that does not require so much work to change spark plugs and adjust the valves. You have buy a couple of specialty tools for the body panels removal, remove some stuff like the exhaust, then pull off the fuel line and rotate the engine. Not rotate as in to find TDC, but rotate the entire engine at the swing arm pivot to gain access to the valve cover. Even the spark plug is very difficult to access. The Blur just came on my radar screen now that AF1 racing in New Braunfels started stocking Genuine scooters just a week ago. I like the lighter weight, 2-year warranty vs. 1 year for the Vespa, and 1 inch larger tires for highway riding. But I never even heard of the Blur until yesterday. What do you think? I would trade in my 2012 Vespa for a 2014 Blur 220i if maintenance looks manageable and everything else works out. I'm test riding one tomorrow. Your thoughts. I also own a 2013 Zero S, a 2014 Grom, a 2014 Ninja 300, and a 2006 Honda Metropolitan. Thanks.
Since no one has responded it must mean that the 220i Blur is so reliable and maintenance-free that nobody has to work on theirs. Do you suppose?

Bill in Seattle :D
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

It is rather strange that there is not much even on YouTube. With my other bikes, the forums plus YouTube has tons of info and I've even found pdf files for the service manual for the Ninja 300, Grom, and Metropolitan...well the Ruckus anyway which is close enough. I have kinda given up on the Blur though, because I found that hump very difficult to get over. Even more troubling the seat ht. of the Roughhouse seemed higher than the spec suggests and the quality of the Buddy was just not quite what I expected plus the colors were weird. Then I looked at the Stella and almost dropped it on the heavy right side. I am not encouraged with Genuine scooters I guess.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dkw12002 wrote:It is rather strange that there is not much even on YouTube. With my other bikes, the forums plus YouTube has tons of info and I've even found pdf files for the service manual for the Ninja 300, Grom, and Metropolitan...well the Ruckus anyway which is close enough. I have kinda given up on the Blur though, because I found that hump very difficult to get over. Even more troubling the seat ht. of the Roughhouse seemed higher than the spec suggests and the quality of the Buddy was just not quite what I expected plus the colors were weird. Then I looked at the Stella and almost dropped it on the heavy right side. I am not encouraged with Genuine scooters I guess.
So, why did you join a Genuine forum?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

To ask the question that nobody seems to be able to answer about how hard it is to work on the Blur. Now I don't care so much that I sat on the Blur and found it too hard to get on and off of. There is still hope for the Hooligan though. Don't take it personal that I don't like the Blur.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dkw12002 wrote:To ask the question that nobody seems to be able to answer about how hard it is to work on the Blur. Now I don't care so much that I sat on the Blur and found it too hard to get on and off of. There is still hope for the Hooligan though. Don't take it personal that I don't like the Blur.
No problem. We all have our likes and dislikes and thank goodness, we don't all like the same things or the world would be a pretty boring place. However, there is some hope on the horizon for the Blur seat which is one of the scooter's weak points. ScooterWorks has a low profile seat for the Blur at $189.00 + delivery. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
upandcoming

Post by upandcoming »

dkw12002 wrote:It is rather strange that there is not much even on YouTube. With my other bikes, the forums plus YouTube has tons of info and I've even found pdf files for the service manual for the Ninja 300, Grom, and Metropolitan....
I had to make a forum post just to ask where the idle adjust screw is. The service manual that is available has some photos but not a detailed breakdown of how everything fits together. I did recently find a parts manual which gives schematic breakdown of all parts which is semi-useful.