Starting Issues - 2011 220i Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Starting Issues - 2011 220i Blur

Post by skipper20 »

My 220i Blur has recently developed some starting issues. It only likes to start, and it starts quickly, when the battery is fully charged. If the battery is down just a little bit, the engine turns over nicely but it won't start. As such, I have to keep it on the battery tender full time which is a PITA. Anyone have any clues as to what the problem might be?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

I'm guessing here, but it might be the battery itself. If it won't hold a charge then it might be shot.

It sounds like it has enough to run the starter but not enough to also run the fuel injection, at the same time.

Since it starts when it's fresh off the charger, that's what it looks like to me.

You could try to charge the battery on a 2 amp charger rather than the Battery Tender. That might help for a little while. But it sound like the battery is on it's last legs.
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Yep, if it's less than a brand new battery, it's always on the charger. Anything less than a full-up battery (in the cold weather) and she will not start. And get a good battery, that might be the problem with mine, as I think that I've an auto parts store battery in there now. My next one will be a good one from http://www.partsforscooters.com
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Terr Bear wrote:I'm guessing here, but it might be the battery itself. If it won't hold a charge then it might be shot.

It sounds like it has enough to run the starter but not enough to also run the fuel injection, at the same time.

Since it starts when it's fresh off the charger, that's what it looks like to me.

You could try to charge the battery on a 2 amp charger rather than the Battery Tender. That might help for a little while. But it sound like the battery is on it's last legs.
My thoughts too so I pulled it and took it to my BatteriesPlus store where they tested it under load and pronounced it "good". After getting it back home I checked the charging output and at idle speed my digital voltmeter reads 14.9 volts. With no load on the battery and fully charged it reads 12.5 volts. It's been very cold recently here in the Seattle area but starting to warm up with temps now in the high 30s. Do you think it could be temperature related? Incidentally, things seem to be regressing as even fully charged, starting is now a hit or miss situation.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Interesting. I will tell you these batteries don't seem to last long. 2-3 yrs is what I got out of may last scooter. Tenders will help but with no kick starter available, you want to make sure the battery is good. It sounds like you may have another issue since the battery tests out. Is yours still under warranty?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

chickdr wrote:Interesting. I will tell you these batteries don't seem to last long. 2-3 yrs is what I got out of may last scooter. Tenders will help but with no kick starter available, you want to make sure the battery is good. It sounds like you may have another issue since the battery tests out. Is yours still under warranty?
The problem has regressed to the point where she won't start at all even with the battery fully topped off. I'm thinking fuel pump as in past start efforts I have occasionally smelled gas. Anyway, as soon as I retrieve my trailer it's off to the local MC repair shop who is OK with working on Genuine products. I'll keep you posted. As far as warranty is concerned I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think the warranty is transferable. And, it's soon to be 3 years old with 3,500 miles so the original warranty has most likely expired anyway.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

While checking out the Blur's bugs I found your post and decided to chime in. I had a Yamaha Zuma 125, 09 model. I know, its not a Blur, but stay with me. At around 20,000miles it started to not start when it was cold out-45degrees and below. Tried a new battery, fancy iridium spark plug, hi-torque starter, rebuilt the whole EFI system and even let my local Yamaha dealership run a diagnostic test on it with their exspensive Yamaha CDI/EFI test kit. They could not figure it out (didnt charge me by the way!) and I eneded up trading it for another scooter. Come to find out from another Zuma 125 owner with the same problem (via forum site) that it was traced to a chafted wire to the "choke circuit" from a sharp weld under the floor board, causing it to short out and not choke. He apparently had more patience than I for figuring that problem out. So test the choke circuit just in case.....
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

skipper20 wrote:
chickdr wrote:Interesting. I will tell you these batteries don't seem to last long. 2-3 yrs is what I got out of may last scooter. Tenders will help but with no kick starter available, you want to make sure the battery is good. It sounds like you may have another issue since the battery tests out. Is yours still under warranty?
The problem has regressed to the point where she won't start at all even with the battery fully topped off. I'm thinking fuel pump as in past start efforts I have occasionally smelled gas. Anyway, as soon as I retrieve my trailer it's off to the local MC repair shop who is OK with working on Genuine products. I'll keep you posted. As far as warranty is concerned I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think the warranty is transferable. And, it's soon to be 3 years old with 3,500 miles so the original warranty has most likely expired anyway.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Did you ever get it figured out? My Blur has been a huge head ache for the past few months. Pretty much what you described. Cold starts are impossible without a jump. Even after fully charging the battery. Even after replacing the battery.

It's been at the shop for 2 weeks now. They don't know what to do with it, and yes they are an authorized genuine service shop. As far as I know, they are waiting on word from genuine.

My blur is only 10 months old, has 8,000 miles and has been useless to me since December. It has a perfect maintenance history, I always used 93oct, I always let it warm up a little before taking off and when I do take off, I ride gently for the first few minutes.

It is very disappointing.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I am interested to hear what the outcome of these cases are myself. Mine has not had this issue yet(4k miles on the clock) but a couple of days ago acted very strange the morning after my overnight shift at work. It was a bit slow to start and then the red check engine light stayed on. As I drove home the engine wanted to idle at 3k rather than the usual 1800rpm's. It got me home and when I shut it off and restarted, the check engine light was off. It ran perfectly the next day. The Blur seems to be a bit of a strange bird with some random quirks.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

chickdr wrote:I am interested to hear what the outcome of these cases are myself. Mine has not had this issue yet(4k miles on the clock) but a couple of days ago acted very strange the morning after my overnight shift at work. It was a bit slow to start and then the red check engine light stayed on. As I drove home the engine wanted to idle at 3k rather than the usual 1800rpm's. It got me home and when I shut it off and restarted, the check engine light was off. It ran perfectly the next day. The Blur seems to be a bit of a strange bird with some random quirks.
It is a strange bird indeed. Ever since I did the first posting about starting issues, it's been starting right up without a problem. Idles and runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever. But, the question is how long will this last? Will it continue to be kind to me or let me down when I'm out and about and a long way from home? In any event, my cell phone is with me at all times. That and my AAA Plus card.

Bill In Seattle
'11 220i Blur :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If this is your original battery on a 2011 Blur, it is time for replacement in any event. Just do it and eliminate the battery from the list of possible issues. (comments: "good" may not be good enough, and 12.6 volts immediately after charging doesn't tell you much of anything about the ability of the battery to start the bike)
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

My 2011(purchased 7/12) is still using the original battery and it seems to be fine. I trickle charge it monthly to keep it conditioned.
smeunier

Post by smeunier »

I just saw your post on the Blur starting issue. I have been trying to diagnose my daughters 2011 Blur issue, but have not been successful.

Ran perfect last summer, but not used terribly much. She decided to sell it after a year, because she got a dog, and well, the dog rides better in a car!

At any rate, spring has finally arrived and she took it out to start it, but nothing. Battery dead as doornail, which is surprising, as it was stored inside in warm temperature(coat closet). I went over and investigated and was able to get the scooter running, by jumping it with my car. Tok it out for a long ride, figuring it would add some charge to it, at least to light the lights up. Nothing. As soon as I shut it off, it was just as dead as before. Jumped it agin, started right up. OKAY, so the battery is dead. Took it to parts store, they tested it, and sure enough, it was dead, even after the charged it for an hour. Bought new battery. All lights, came on, everything seemed fine. Tried to start it, but nothing, not a click buzz or anything. But the lights did dim.

Round 2 - jumped it again, and it started right up. Ran it for about 20 minutes, turned it off, but nothing. It appears to me, that the battery is compromised again and does not have the amps to turn the starter. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, and I do not have the tools to test charging output, but just wondering, if you have run into this issue again and what the final cause was?