Hello all - New Blur owner here!!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thespivster

Hello all - New Blur owner here!!

Post by thespivster »

Howdy from Texas. Just got a new 2013 Blur SS 220i at a dealer in New Braunfels, even though I live in the DFW area. they have a great special on the 2013's at $3,199 plus TTL.

That put me out the door at a little over $3,500. I consider that a pretty good deal.

I don't see a whole lot of model specific stuff out there for these scoots but I have to say...after owning several Chinese scoots that I have chopped and modified and several sport bikes that I have also "personalized," I'm not at all worried that I don't see things out there with Blur listed. Other than a few body parts and maybe the ECU tuning stuff...just about any part will fit if are willing to do a little fab work.

I've seen a few exhausts out there for 800+. That's crazy talk! Any scooter exhaust with a 1 1/4" inlet diameter will slip right on. You just have to make your own bracket/clamp.

Everything else on the bike is pretty much standard GY6 stuff. I'll be looking for a shock soon...Even though I love the stiffness of the stock one, I know from experience that it's bound to be short lived before it regresses into a "spring on a pole." There are a ton of shocks out there that will fit...just take a few measurements like overall length and diameter of the spring; then a few things like total bike weight and bike/rider as well. Once you have that, the sky is the limit. You could buy Ohlins if you wanted to spend the $$.

I'd post a pic of mine but you've seen plenty of stock pics. I'll be starting a thread with my mods as they come about...which won't be toooo quick since I really bought this one as a daily commuter. I have other bikes that I tear apart and rebuild regularly...now I know I can play with those without fear of being without a bike.

That being said, I know that I can never leave well enough alone, so within the next month or so I'll be doing the following in no particular order:

1. Lower the bike between 1" and 2" inches.
2. Fender eliminator.
3. removing the stock indicators and relocating them to the integrated ones in the fairing.
4. Reshape the seat foam.

These might take a bit more time as I will have to research the availability of ECU re-mapping/modification tools.
5. New intake with UNI filter.
6. New Exhaust.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

That was an excellent deal on a new '13 Blur! Your mods will certainly draw interest here as there are not many options specific to the Blur for us out there. Enjoy!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Sounds like fun. Let us know your top speed after you have it more broken in.
$3500 would a great price for a new freeway capable scoot, compared to $5-6000 for a Bergman or Forza.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
2wheelfun

Post by 2wheelfun »

Great price, msrp is $3999 plus fees usually. Probably $4500. I like those scoots but they were out of my price range. Gotta love the EFI, there's a reason ALL cars are EFI nowadays...........wheelbender do you ride MABs too?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

2wheelfun - I sold my gas assist bike because the roads in my area are not suitable (high speed limits). I still ride my electric assisted bike and tinker with it.
2wheelfun

Post by 2wheelfun »

Wheel you have an unusual nn, thought I recognized you from motoredbikes. I have 1 mab I'm keeping for good and now I'm into scoots.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I am a bit infatuated with the thought of buying a Blur 220, but I still love my Buddy 125,
e-bike and pedal powered mountain bike. I enjoy different things about different contraptions.
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

The Blur looks like a lot of fun. Truth, its 10 times better when your riding it and looking at it in your garage. The smiles just get bigger every day.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I began drooling over a blur last week, I just want to be able to do 10 mph faster than my buddy 125 piped & cdi, with a more stable ride and better brakes. Is an actual 10mph faster an unreasonable expectation?
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

I moved up for the same reasons and it feels and looks real good. Buy it.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

iamryan25 wrote:I began drooling over a blur last week, I just want to be able to do 10 mph faster than my buddy 125 piped & cdi, with a more stable ride and better brakes. Is an actual 10mph faster an unreasonable expectation?
What is your top speed now? The Buddy is a lot lighter than the Blur which makes a difference. A realistic top speed for the Blur is ~70MPH. Comfortable cruising speeds are 60-65MPH.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I can do an indicated 65 no windshield and if I tuck it'll creep towards 70 bmph. My speedo is roughly 5-7mph generous on the top end so I can prob top the buddy at a real 60mph.

I do want to be able to accelerate faster more than I want to cruise at top speed. The buddy cruises at 50-55 comfortably for me, I'd like to add 10mph to that.

The 13" wheels look appealing, my main curiosity is for those new blur owners coming from a buddy 125/150/161/170... is the blur suspension handling braking and added power worth the transition to a larger frame with extra weight and limited step through (the buddy step through holds and hauls quite a bit for me) ?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

iamryan25 wrote:I can do an indicated 65 no windshield and if I tuck it'll creep towards 70 bmph. My speedo is roughly 5-7mph generous on the top end so I can prob top the buddy at a real 60mph.

I do want to be able to accelerate faster more than I want to cruise at top speed. The buddy cruises at 50-55 comfortably for me, I'd like to add 10mph to that.

The 13" wheels look appealing, my main curiosity is for those new blur owners coming from a buddy 125/150/161/170... is the blur suspension handling braking and added power worth the transition to a larger frame with extra weight and limited step through (the buddy step through holds and hauls quite a bit for me) ?
I came from a TGB Laser 150 to the Blur. The TGB had a floorboard like your Buddy and the Blur is not nearly as convenient to get on and off of because of this. It also loses the storage aspect of a flat floor. The handling/braking of the Blur is second to none though as far as scooters are concerned which is its claim to fame. You need to take a Blur for a test drive to see if it will be enough for you. It sounds like you would get another 5-10mph out of the Blur which isn't much IMHO. The engine isn't the Blur's strong point. I wonder if the Buddy 170i would be better for you since it retains all you are used to and adds more power.

There is a smoking deal on a '13 Blur in the classifieds. $2,200 with only 825 miles!