The ignition cover is stuck...help?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

The ignition cover is stuck...help?

Post by 360 »

Has anyone had any issues with the metal cover that slides over to lock the ignition keyhole? In the past, I would sometimes have difficulty unlocking the cover when it was cold, so eventually I stopped using it. However, the other day someone stuck bits of wood in my keyhole (that sounds like a euphemism. ha) and after getting it out I decided to maybe start covering it again....that was a mistake, because now I can't get the cover open. I've pushed and pulled the little cover key in every direction, used force, pushed lightly, and it won't open. Any ideas?

Next, I'll try WD40 I suppose, but just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the keyhole cover getting stuck?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Maybe some graphite in the slot underneath?
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Never locked mine for fear of what happened to yours, but I'm curious if you got it un-stuck?

Post by 360 »

I still haven't. :(
Also, I tried the graphite...didn't work. :(
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Sorry to hear that. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd try carefully heating it up a bit to get things to expand and hopefully break loose. Best of luck!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Call a locksmith?

Post by 360 »

Finally got it!

I used a flathead screwdriver, and pushed the shield upwards while I had the key in it...and it slowly opened. A very happy (fist in the air) moment. Haha
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

In case this issue recurs and your solution doesn't work next time. You can buy a set of keys and new security cover for $49 bucks at www.scooterloungeonline.com You could then swap the key blades from your working keys to the new key heads and install the new security cover.

The part number you need is - M25520300004