Hot CV Drive Cover - How hot should it be?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kirknkona

Hot CV Drive Cover - How hot should it be?

Post by kirknkona »

Is it normal? After a short ride my Blur the CV Drive cover is too hot to touch. I'm asking because I have burned through 3 belts in 2k miles. The bike seems to be running perfectly now. The last time I changed my belt I had to replace the clutch drive face. A faulty weld on the drive face plate may have been a factor in my last belt failure or the belt failure may have damaged the drive face plate. I'll never know. I've been told that the burning through belts is related to coasting downhill with the engine off. Something I will never do again but I've done it and so maybe that was the reason my belts failed.
HanShan

Re: Hot CV Drive Cover - How hot should it be?

Post by HanShan »

kirknkona wrote:Is it normal? After a short ride my Blur the CV Drive cover is too hot to touch. I'm asking because I have burned through 3 belts in 2k miles. The bike seems to be running perfectly now. The last time I changed my belt I had to replace the clutch drive face. A faulty weld on the drive face plate may have been a factor in my last belt failure or the belt failure may have damaged the drive face plate. I'll never know. I've been told that the burning through belts is related to coasting downhill with the engine off. Something I will never do again but I've done it and so maybe that was the reason my belts failed.

I'll check mine next time I ride it which will be tomorrow. How short of a ride are you talking?

But it does not seem normal for it to be that hot.
kirknkona

Post by kirknkona »

It was a 15 mile ride going 45 mph.
Christophers

Re: Hot CV Drive Cover - How hot should it be?

Post by Christophers »

kirknkona wrote:Is it normal? After a short ride my Blur the CV Drive cover is too hot to touch.
That doesn't seem right at all!
I have never had the CVT cover on any of the scooters that I've ridden or owned get that hot - if they've gotten hot at all.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Check the filter on the cover's breather to see if it's clogged or if you have something else blocking the air flow, like leaves, road gunk, etc.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

At times I think I could fry an egg on mine! My guess for the extra heat is the larger clutch and variator packed rather tightly into the CVT case on these Blur 220s.

I'd taken the risk of removing the front plastic cover and filter to see if it would run a little cooler but didn't notice a difference. I know some people run theirs without the entire cover at all, but it's certainly not advisable.

So, as already suggested by others, I occasionally check for anything that might impede airflow, keep the filter clean, and figure that's good enough.