Another Blur died suddenly...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Another Blur died suddenly...

Post by BuddyRaton »

So we went on a trip up the east coast and hauled the 11 Blur 220i. We were staying at Shenandoah State Park (I HIGHLY recommend!) and was happy to finally take the Blur on other than city roads.

Overcast, had been raining but road was dry. Headed to Luray...about a 40 mile or so round trip.

Having a blast on the Blur! 55 mph speed limit. Nice sweepers running 55-60, not WFO. Come to a little rise and I stall. Luckily it was a bridge with a nice wide shoulder. Stop, hit the starter and the motor fired right back up. Revs great but no power to rear wheel.

I was about 9 miles out, no cell service for quite a distance, had been riding geared up. Stowed my jacket under the seat and stuck my thumb out wearing mesh armored pants holding my modular helmet. First time I have hitchhiked in about 35 years.

Thank you so much for the ride Junior! I will pay it forward!

Haven't opened it up yet but I changed the belt and rollers like 1,500 miles ago. Scoot has about 6,500 miles on it. I think it's the belt (didn't see any oil) or could be the clutch. No bad noises when it stalled or after I started it again. I will report after I open it up.

I'll take this kind of breakdown over seizing a vintage 2T at 65 any day! It was a great ride while it lasted!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh yeah...it was a bear to push to the yard shed. feels like something is hung up.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Did you find the problem? I had the retaining nut come loose (my fault for not torquing properly) and it was similar to what you described. Curious to know what you found.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Curious as well.
Let us know.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like a belt to me...usually a variator asploding will make a racket
I will update. Need to rebuild the 90 Riva 200 carb first!

Replaced the bath exhaust fan in the attic today
And I need to fix the a/c duct in the attic (I didn't do it!)
Rebuild the deck
Floor the bedroom
Strip and repaint the kitchen cabinets
Kitchen floor
regrout tiles

There are other items but my eyes got blurry!

You get the idea!
www.teamscootertrash.com

scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

TOTALLY get it!

And if you're ever in Cali, you're cordially invited to come work on my house!

So, best of luck on your "to do" list, and we'll look forward to the answer of the 'Great Blur Mystery' when you get to it (if you get to it?).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

scootergrind wrote:TOTALLY get it!

And if you're ever in Cali, you're cordially invited to come work on my house!

So, best of luck on your "to do" list, and we'll look forward to the answer of the 'Great Blur Mystery' when you get to it (if you get to it?).

Oh I'll get to it. The biggest disappointment is that it was the first time I had it out of a "city" environment on some real scenic sweeper roads.

Oh well...that was a fantastic state park and will visit again. Oh yeah...it was the only time the roads were dry too. It was pretty rainy so we couldn't zip line either.

If these are my biggest problems...life is good!
www.teamscootertrash.com

KileyC76

First Post

Post by KileyC76 »

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Was running WFO when it vibrated then just stopped pulling. No smells or oil leakage. I've been working to much to open it up to see what is the culprit.
KileyC76

Finally!

Post by KileyC76 »

I was finally able to tear down the Blur. My belt exploded. Now I'm searching for a new belt. Anyone know the size, part number, where to buy?
Thanks
Kiley
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The OEM belt part number is C81220000000, if ordering through a Genuine Dealership. Measurements are 860x20.3x28

Very oddball size, I don't know if anyone is even making them aftermarket.