Blur engine oil

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurryface2020

Blur engine oil

Post by blurryface2020 »

Would anyone recommend T-4MXR SAE 15W-40 oil for my 220i Blur? I cant seem to attach a picture of it because it says its exceeding maximum size. If so would 1 liter be enough? First time trying to changing the oil. The previous owner was very meticulous about the first two oil changes and this will be my first time doing it. Also does anyone know of any on-line tutorials to guide me through it? I have watched the one on youtube that Mitch does for a buddy but being a Blur, I wasn't sure if it's much different?
Thank You
Rob
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

1 liter is more than enough. And you don't have to use motorcycle specific oil because the GY6 type engines don't have a wet clutch.

Sounds like you don't have an owners manual:

http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/G-MAX_OWNER.pdf
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
blurryface2020

Post by blurryface2020 »

Hey thank you! I have the owners manual but felt it was kind of vague on the oil part. Just says 15w40 but when I look at forums some people advise other oils etc etc!! ugh
Thus I went with Torco T671544CE T-4MXR 15w40 Four Stroke Racing Oil Bottle because one forum that seemed legitimate recommended it and I'm trying to keep this 220i blur tip top because of all the 15+ mopeds I have owned this is by far the best ride I have ever had.
ONe quick question that maybe you can help me with. So I changed the oil and changed the oil filter today. I feel its hard to read the dipstick. I let it run for a bit then shut it off and check it. When I do that, it reads full. However when I put the dipstick back in to check it, it seems significantly low? Any thoughts? Thanks again!!
blurryface2020

Post by blurryface2020 »

Update. I was checking the engine oil level while the bike was on its kickstand and it showed low. Like significantly low. When I put it on the center stand it shows a perfect reading. Do you think this is why I was reading it low in the previous response I sent?
Thank You
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Yes, You should have it on the center stand on a fairly level surface. The gas station pad is a perfect place for this. Pull in, fill up and check your oil before you leave.
Capt Kenny

Oil levels

Post by Capt Kenny »

Hey guys sorry to piggyback on your post but you’re talking about oil dipstick levels and I didn’t see any other post on this when I did a search. I have a buddy 150 and just completed an oil change myself. My online manual states oil capacity at .9 L and when I check the oil on the center stand it’s close to the high mark without putting all of the oil in. I know as small as the oil filter is it would not contain that much oil and after riding to fill the filter up it’s still reads a little high on the dipstick. My question is when checking with the dipstick do you screw it all the way in and check it like you do with a lawnmower or do you just put it flush with the opening and then pull it out to check? Thanks in advance for any help.
blurry150

Post by blurry150 »

I think I read somewhere that you do NOT screw the dipstick back in to check the level. It's the way I always do it...and from personal experience, I can assure you that too much is WORSE than too little...unless you LIKE welding your crankcase back together and rebuilding your engine after sourcing and replacing parts that can't be fixed...As an aside, I also read a piece by an engineer that stated categorically that Shell Rotella full synthetic oil was, for the price at that time, the best oil for ANY vehicle you had with the exception of 2 stroke engines. This means your Big Rig, your pickup truck, your Porche Cayenne, boat, motorcycle, and scooter, and Sthil 4 stroke weed eater. LOL... I read this in 2012 or so and have been using the 15w40 with excellent results in my Blur 150. It's gone from $17 a gallon to $23 a gallon since I first started but Wallyworld always has it in stock.