BMPG - Blur Miles Per Gallon

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurblaine

BMPG - Blur Miles Per Gallon

Post by blurblaine »

Just as happy as can be today as I just topped off my mighty (orange, baby) Blur after riding back and forth to work. It was another beautiful day in The 'Nati, but it got so much better when I found that it only took .56 gallons to top her off. $2.20 was the gas tab for the day. I covered 76 Blur units = the odometer reading on my Blur isn't miles or Kilometers, so I call 'em Blur units.

If I had driven the highway in my MINI Cooper it would have been 44 total miles and a bit more than a gallon of gas or $4+ at my local rip-off joint. The back roads I take the Blur on is a longer route (which I'll cover tomorrow in the MINI to get an odometer reading) that is so much more fun and only takes about 7 minutes more each way. So even if I covered 30 real miles each way, I'm getting some sweet milage on the Blur!

I'll report back tomorrow with the 'real' miles covered on today's adventure.

Happy Reporter Blaine
Attachments
blurrish.JPG
blurrish.JPG (80.18 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

So far I've only put gas in once since new, though I'm getting close to needing more hah. But the first time around I got almost 110 BDU's/ gallon.

135 BDU and 1.25 gallons.

I'm clocking 2.9 miles to work, and it's only 2 miles in the car. That's almost 50%, that's just stupid. The speedometer/odometer issue really bugs me since I can get a cycle computer for $9 at WalMart that is more accurate. But of well, if that's all we have to complain about, I guess they figure they're doing OK.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Follow Up on BDUs, mileage and more...

Actual mileage on my 'backwoods' Blur route to work was 22 miles = the same as my MINI highway route. So my estimate on that was way off.

76 BDUs were really 44 miles

Strange Blur math = BDUs are shorter than a Km! Km would roughly be .62 miles and that is .5789 miles on the Blur! At least on mine...
Still cool to cover 44 miles on .56 gallons of gas.

The MINI covered the Blur route averaging 39.2 MPG = so I get over twice the distance at less than half the cost of fuel when comparing the Blur vs the MINI. Nice!

If you are wondering, the Blur route runs on Remington Road in Montgomery, right onto 126 in Miamiville, left on SR 50 in Milford, right on SR 222 in the middle of nothing, right onto Main Street in Batavia, and up the hill to UC's Clermont College. So I go through 4 small towns, typically get stopped at 7 or 8 of the 16 traffic lights, and have 4 longer blasts at full trottle / top speed. Plenty of fun curves on SR 222 too!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

tempalte

Post by tempalte »

Strange Blur math = BDUs are shorter than a Km! Km would roughly be .62 miles and that is .5789 miles on the Blur! At least on mine...
On my 2006 the speedometer is around 11% off. 55mph indicated was 49mph per GPS. 45mph indicated was 40mph per GPS, etc.

My odometer reads in KM, but is also almost 11% off. That just about matches what you are saying. To find my "true" mileage I just multiply my odometer by .56. I think that is pretty close.

With my fuzzy math I get around 70mpg on my blur.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

If my BDU-mile conversion is correct, I'm getting 65-75 mpg from tank to tank. I think it's alcohol in the gasoline that's doing me in.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
NathanielSalzman

Oh and by the way, blurblain, viva la MINI! I'm rockin' a '06 MINI Cooper S myself.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm getting about the same mileage on my '06 (65 -70ish, but I'm fat), and my gauges roughly match yours. I think the odometer on the '07 was closer to miles.

Are you in Montgomery? I grew up there (Montgomery Elementary, Greene Middle, Sycamore Jr/Sr High). I haven't lived there since '91, but my parents still live right by the park, next to the old Montgomery City Hall & Kroger on Montgomery Road. I wanna try the Blur out on Hopewell sometime.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
santa

Blur Miles Per Gallon

Post by santa »

I found that a Blur unit to be .58 mile also, which would make it about 6% off.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

illnoise wrote:I'm getting about the same mileage on my '06 (65 -70ish, but I'm fat), and my gauges roughly match yours. I think the odometer on the '07 was closer to miles.

Are you in Montgomery? I grew up there (Montgomery Elementary, Greene Middle, Sycamore Jr/Sr High). I haven't lived there since '91, but my parents still live right by the park, next to the old Montgomery City Hall & Kroger on Montgomery Road. I wanna try the Blur out on Hopewell sometime.

Bryan
I can roger that. I find the '07 odometer to be pretty accurate. I'll do a test when I get a chance, but spot checking it with the GPS I have the feeling it's about 10 percent off and that I'm getting 70 MPG. I too, am a fatty, so that I'm asking more than the average Joe out of that 150ccs of pure Tiawanese thunder.

BTW, the speedo is pretty good. At 47 on the GPS, I'm doing about 50 according to Blur. I think, about 5 percent off.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

i do 1.4 miles to work this is the reading i get in my f-150 the same rout on my blur is 1.6 so it 2 tenth over. so that pretty close. ill take it.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

illnoise Hopewell is fun - especially all the curves closer to Weil and again coming down in Loveland.

NathanielSalzman
Yes - MINIs rock! 3 years of perfection...so far. My '05 Cooper (non S) has been the best new car I've ever owned.

Keep enjoying your BLURz!
Attachments
ID the car in the background correctly and win a cookie!
ID the car in the background correctly and win a cookie!
My_MINI.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

Racenut

Post by Racenut »

blurblaine wrote:ID the car in the background correctly and win a cookie!

Ferrari Daytona
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I just (re)filled my first tank of gas and by my calculations (see below) I got 68.1mpg - not bad, I guess for the first tank. I ran it pretty hard at times and let it coast when I could. Trying to modulate the throttle but run hard to expedite the break-in process. Under normal conditions - commuting 6 miles each way on surface streets, <45mph posted speed limits, I expect the mpg's will improve pretty drastically, but time will tell.

My first ride to work was 11.7 bdu's, TGB measured 6.2 miles. My calculations are based on the accuracy of the TGB ODO, the accuracy of my rounding off of the tenths on the ODO (both scoots) and whatever difference between fillups in the tank level. I will also try to get a more accurate ratio of bdu/mile with a GPS in the near future.

first tank = 184 bdu
11.7bdu/6.2miles(TGB units)=1.89bdu/mile
1.43 gallon fill up.
184bdu/1.89/1.43 gal = 68.08mpg
NathanielSalzman

blurblaine wrote:illnoise Hopewell is fun - especially all the curves closer to Weil and again coming down in Loveland.

NathanielSalzman
Yes - MINIs rock! 3 years of perfection...so far. My '05 Cooper (non S) has been the best new car I've ever owned.

Keep enjoying your BLURz!
Nice! Here's mine!

rassilon22

Post by rassilon22 »

I just got 68 '07 BDU/gallon on my first tank fillup. I'm sure it would have been better if I didn't need to drive between 45-50mph on various parts of my commute to work.

I'm loving the gas savings though!

Bill
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've brought this up on 20 other threads, but it's worth repeating:

It's interesting to compare actual fuel cost savings per mile as opposed to MPG, you'll find that the law of diminishing returns means that fuel savings taper off after a while and there's not a huge difference between, say, 60mpg and 100mpg when compared to the difference between 20mpg and 60 mpg.

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4158

Obviously, higher MPG is always better, but the savings per mile kinda start to level off around 60-70mpg.

I guess my point is, don't sweat your exact mileage too much, you're doing just fine. : )
NathanielSalzman

Funny this topic should come up. I just finished a spreadsheet of tracking my mileage. Not only has my mileage been great, but it's amazing to see where gas prices have gone just in the few months I've had it.

More than anything I'm curious about the variance in my MPG. There are some pretty big swings in there. I think one part of it is whether or not there's alcohol in the gas and the rest of it is just a heavy right hand. I'm going to ride this tank of gas a little easier and see if I can't get back into the 70s where I belong.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

That doesn't surprise me at all, Nathaniel, Speed, traffic, gear weight, passengers, wind, grade, road surface, tire inflation, even fluctuations in your weight and the amount of gas in the tank can make a huge mpg difference when a vehicle is so light. I'd bet any of those symptoms as much of or more of a difference than the quality of gas.
Davek

Post by Davek »

I'm getting similar to what rassilon22 posted, or a little less (edit: much worse, didn't notice his was an 07 so he doesn't have to do the .58 conversion). I'm starting to wonder if my Blur badly needs a tuneup, or if I need to start taking Valium before I ride so I don't do more than barely crack the throttle.

I've only paid attention to the last three fill-ups, but on the first I got 25 MPG, the last two 35 MPG when I did almost no full throttle (trying to keep the RPMs at or below 6000 when accelerating). I think I save money by driving my car, although I didn't get a scooter to save on gas money anyway.

I'm curious what the three or four other Blur owners in San Francisco are getting.. maybe all the stop signs/lights are what is killing the mileage.

I weigh 165 and don't have a top case.
Last edited by Davek on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I'm getting over 100 BDU's per gallon. I have not charted it out, but I've got 450 bdu's on the clock and I've only put gas in it 3 times since new.

25-35mpg would tell me something is way wrong, even on hills and such.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yes, it should be well above 30mpg for sure, unless you weigh 400 pounds and you ride mostly in 3" deep tar on flat tires with a topbox full of lead on an uphill street with a speed limit of 65 and stop lights every ten feet.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Davek wrote:I'm getting similar to what rassilon22 posted, or a little less. I'm starting to wonder if my Blur badly needs a tuneup, or if I need to start taking Valium before I ride so I don't do more than barely crack the throttle.

I've only paid attention to the last three fill-ups, but on the first I got 25 MPG, the last two 35 MPG when I did almost no full throttle (trying to keep the RPMs at or below 6000 when accelerating). I think I save money by driving my car, although I didn't get a scooter to save on gas money anyway.

I'm curious what the three or four other Blur owners in San Francisco are getting.. maybe all the stop signs/lights are what is killing the mileage.

I weigh 165 and don't have a top case.
I weight 270 and get about 65 MPH - corrected - (My '07 Blur's Odo is only about 9 percent off). I ride in a suburban area, rarely above 45, and gun it whenever it's safe. In other words, I don't ride it with fuel economy in mind, but it gives it to me anyway.

So, something's wrong if you are only getting 35 MPH. My 1980 BMW 320i gets better than that with 167,000 miles on its odo.
Davek

Post by Davek »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was towing my Civic as a backup.

Seriously though, I guess I should check with Barry at SFSC about taking a look, but they just did the first checkup a few weeks ago. I did mention to them that it backfires on deceleration sometimes, but it still does that.. not sure if that's normal or not.

I was kinda hoping that the MPG would improve with mileage but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Still wouldn't mind hearing from other SF Blurs.. Come on babblefish!
nickwhite44

Post by nickwhite44 »

I've done numerous GPS checks with my 2007 Blur and I'm consistently getting 1.11 BDU's per mile. I've been keeping a log of fill-ups, so I'm going to calculate my mileage later tonight and post.

Nick
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

nickwhite44 wrote:I've done numerous GPS checks with my 2007 Blur and I'm consistently getting 1.11 BDU's per mile. I've been keeping a log of fill-ups, so I'm going to calculate my mileage later tonight and post.

Nick
Sounds pretty close to what I'm getting on my 07.
Im doing a 4.5 mile trip to work in 4.9 miles on the Blur som Im looking at about 9% optimistic. Still close enough for me to just forget about it and treat it as "happy miles"

Ive still only used about 1/3 of my second full tank of gas after a month driving to work and back and around town when i have to run out real quick. My Blur is only about halfway broken-in based on the Bluromoeter reading.
nickwhite44

Post by nickwhite44 »

Here's my current mileage data. I have an MRP pipe on there too, so that might have a negative effect on mileage.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
itcardoc

mileage+car inn background

Post by itcardoc »

I,m getting just shy of 90 mpg when all the math works out.

Blaine, I think I win a cookie,the car in the background in the garage is a 365GTB4 Daytona Coupe (Ferrari). 6x2bbl. Weber DCNF Carbs, 365cc per cylinder, 60 deg v-12 with 2 distributors with 2 points each (if it is a US car). -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!