engine noise?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

itcardoc

engine noise?

Post by itcardoc »

Hi there, I have a 2006 Blur with 6100 bdus that recently started making a metallic rapping noise internally. It just got towed to the dealer and I'm waiting for a report. Any one else have a noise or problem, or am I the only lucky one? -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Was it still running?

When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My '06 Blur has a little over 10K on it and it's also making a noise. Seems to be coming from the right side of the engine and makes it sound like a little single cylinder diesel. I've heard that a lot of GY6 based engines have this problem, but I can't seem to get an answer on what is the cause. I'm suspecting it's the starter clutch/gear because it's on that side of the engine. The oil pump is the only other thing on that side of the engine, but I hope it's not that 'cause I'm still riding mine.
Please do let us know what the dealer finds out.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
itcardoc

engine noise...

Post by itcardoc »

I did a valve adjustment, intake .001" loose , exhaust .001" tight nothing to cause a noise. I also took the variator pulley off to eliminate any trans or belt drive noise. Neither made any difference. The dealer is waiting for a call from Genuine Tech. Department. I hope it's a engine swap with a new engine. I will post what is found wrong as soon as I know.-Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

My Blur had engine noise - sounded like a slightly open header - I thought the exhaust seal wasn't working.

Then it got worse, and I lost power.

Upon disassembly it was found that the power shaft had nearly a centimeter of play - well on its way to breaking.

Apparently that is a known problem with some GMax and Blur engines, Genuine replaced mine under warranty.

-Mark
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

BlueMark wrote:My Blur had engine noise - sounded like a slightly open header - I thought the exhaust seal wasn't working.

Upon disassembly it was found that the power shaft had nearly a centimeter of play - well on its way to breaking.

how many bdu's on the clock when you noticed it and how many when you got it diagnosed??

Apparently that is a known problem with some GMax and Blur engines, Genuine replaced mine under warranty.

-Mark
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

BlueMark wrote:My Blur had engine noise - sounded like a slightly open header - I thought the exhaust seal wasn't working.

-Mark
What is the "power shaft"? I've never heard that term before.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

BeachBuzz wrote:

how many bdu's on the clock when you noticed it and how many when you got it diagnosed??

-Mark
7500 BDUs. The noise started very early, but it wasn't until the near break down that we figured out we had to look at the engine - thought it was an exhaust problem or CVT problem before that.

It was the 'power shaft' or 'output shaft' of the engine that delivers power to the transmission.

Apparently there was another Blur with a similar problem in Columbus, OH.

There have been reports of earlier GMax engines with power shaft problems that typically manifest after 25000 BDUs. Which should have been fixed after 2005 (my Blur was a 2006 model). I don't know if that was the same problem or not. Maybe a few 2006 Blurs shipped with old shafts?

-Mark