Accessories!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Accessories!

Post by illnoise »

Just got a "thanks for buying a Blur" letter with some brochures to give to friends.... and there's photos of the rack, topbox, and windscreen. The rack looks like the one jsrjr had, i really don't think it looks 'right' on the bike, but if it's functional, what the hey... The topbox is the one in the new scooterworks mailer, it's generic silver and also doesn't go particularly well with the bike. It has a built in backrest, but I'd have to see a photo with a passenger, it looks kind of not really in the right place...

The windscreen actually looks pretty perfect on the bike. I don't like windscreens in general and rarely do long fast rides, but it looks pretty nice. It'd be nice if there was a shorter option, because that front of the headset always looked a little wierd to me and i think with a half-screen it would look better, even if the screen was useless.

I'll hook up the scanner later and post some scans.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Just got my letter today.

The flyer is the same one available online as a PDF here.

I like the looks of the wind shield, except it seems smallish to me.

The top box needs to be redone in gloss black, and hopefully that red sticker is real reflective film.
Attachments
Blur Top Box
Blur Top Box
BlurTopBox.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Blur Rack
Blur Rack
BlurRack.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Blur Windshield
Blur Windshield
BlurWindshield.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Pretty nontraditional-looking windshield, but it looks pretty damn cool.
masssheltie

Post by masssheltie »

Does a small windshield really do alot on a scoot?

Thanks

Chris
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

masssheltie wrote:Does a small windshield really do alot on a scoot?

Thanks

Chris
This one looks like it's more of a medium -- a good 10" or so off the headlighht. It would definitely have in impact on reducing drag. Smaller ones do, too... but it depends on what you mean by "a lot."
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Like I said earlier, I just don't like windscreens on scooters, especially if they're mounted to the handlebars. the wind blows you around enough. Look at the thread on the Modern Buddy about Renae's accident... I don't blame that all on the screen, but it probably didn't help. The buddy is so much lighter than the blur, but still...

Also, on many of the scooters w/windshields i've ridden, the edge of the screen is inches away from your face, on the kymco bet and win, I smacked my visor into it every time i braked...

Bb.
RunRun

Post by RunRun »

illnoise wrote:Like I said earlier, I just don't like windscreens on scooters, especially if they're mounted to the handlebars. the wind blows you around enough. Look at the thread on the Modern Buddy about Renae's accident... I don't blame that all on the screen, but it probably didn't help. The buddy is so much lighter than the blur, but still...

Also, on many of the scooters w/windshields i've ridden, the edge of the screen is inches away from your face, on the kymco bet and win, I smacked my visor into it every time i braked...

Bb.
I can’t wait to get a windscreen and a rack I think the arrow dynamics are completely different on the two scooters between the Bur and the Buddy. Also the windscreen appears to look small and not to high that’s a plus. I need the rack so I can carry my camera and the mount for the camera for some photo ops on nice days... :lol:
Don Cobb
Genuine Blur 150
Run 2006 Model

Post by 360 »

yeah, I was in between at first, but hearing the renae story kinda turned me off to windscreens. Everytime it gets windy now I just think about "sailboat sail" and feel glad that I don't have one adding any more to any steering for wind compensation that I have to do.

May get a rack though...although so far, I've actually been doing pretty well with the stock rear handle bar and some bungie cords. I've bungied all types of things from packs of toilet paper, to pizzas, to boxes of CDs, to window blinds... I'm starting to think I don't need a rack. I just always keep three bungie cords of different length in the trunk and that usually can get my xyz axis to secure most things. ha

...the little speed boost (if any) from a windshield WOULD be nice though.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Renae said that the large windshield was the problem. She said that the smaller windshields shouldn't be a problem.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
BlueMark

Saddlebags

Post by BlueMark »

Motorsport has SX Appeal saddles bags on sale. Says they will fit the Blur.

Looks to me like they could be a bit larger for the Blur, but looks like it would look good matched with a
Prima rear bag. Are there any good saddlebags made for the G-Max?

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Saddlebags

Post by illnoise »

BlueMark wrote:Are there any good saddlebags made for the G-Max?
I was thinking that a m/c tank bag in the center channel would be great, but I haven't had a chance to look for one yet. too bad none of that is metal (if the orange crossbar was, that'd be perfect) so the magnets wouldn't hold it down, but there has to be some way to strap something in that area, since you can't get your leg over it anyway. 'Course, you'd have to remove it to fill up your tank every 70 bdu, but it'd look so much better than a mismatched topbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Saddlebags

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:
BlueMark wrote:Are there any good saddlebags made for the G-Max?
I was thinking that a m/c tank bag in the center channel would be great, but I haven't had a chance to look for one yet. too bad none of that is metal (if the orange crossbar was, that'd be perfect) so the magnets wouldn't hold it down, but there has to be some way to strap something in that area, since you can't get your leg over it anyway. 'Course, you'd have to remove it to fill up your tank every 70 bdu, but it'd look so much better than a mismatched topbox.
One word: Velcro.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

One word: Velcro.
Even better - use epoxy or Gorilla Glue to glue magnets behind the plastic where the bag attachment magnets go.

-Mark
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

BlueMark wrote:Even better - use epoxy or Gorilla Glue to glue magnets behind the plastic where the bag attachment magnets go.
tricky! I just might try that, if I can find the right bag...

Bb.
RunRun

Post by RunRun »

I'm still waiting for the shield and the rack anybody have update on availability?
Don Cobb
Genuine Blur 150
Run 2006 Model
BlueMark

Rack and Windshields now shipping

Post by BlueMark »

Just got a call from my dealer Scoot Around Town with the news that the blur rack and windshield I ordered back in November have arrived.

-Mark
BlueMark

Installed Windscreen

Post by BlueMark »

I finally got around to installing my new windshield. It is a nice solid piece of plastic.

It came well wrapped in sheet foam and shinkwrap with hardware, but no instructions.

My dealer thought it would be pretty straightforward - unfortunately I didn't take my scooter to the dealer - it is a two hour backroad ride on the Blur, and the weather is uncooperative.

Installation wasn't quite as intuitive as we thought. The hardware doesn't attach to the mirror mounts like on the Buddy, it mounts below the handlebars behind two cutouts in the plastic. Two hefty bolts for each of the windscreen rods - I think it is a firmer mount than you can get for the Buddy. But it sure would help to have four or five hands to get them in place. I managed somehow (it helps to use masking tape to hold the bolt assemblies in place until screwed in from below).

Of course I didn't think to photograph the process. 'doh

I'll try to get some pics of the finished project with a few helpful annotations. I've added one below that is modified from the flyer.

I also got the rear rack. Looks like it couldn't be simpler to install. Just pull the grab bar off, flip it over and bolt the rack underneath. Then bolt the grab bar back in place.

Unfortunately my allen wrench set was entirely inadequate to loosen the massive grab bar bolts. I'm guessing there is some lock-tite involved. No worries, now I have an excuse to go buy some more tools. :)

-Mark
Attachments
WindscreenMount.jpg
WindscreenMount.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
BlueMark

Test ride

Post by BlueMark »

It was 35 Degrees after work yesterday, and the snow and ice was mostly gone from the street out front. So I took the Blur out for a ride for the first time in a month. The main roads were clear and dry - nice.

This was my first chance to test the windscreen. It looks great, but it really is pretty small. Shields my torso from the some of the wind, but not my neck or head - will still need to wear a gaiter in cold weather.

Once on the main road I spun up to an indicated 55 mph without even realizing it - normally with my 250 lbs this bike hits a wall at 50 mph, and only slowly increases from there depending on conditions. On a long straight section yesterday I hit 60, but didn't have a chance to really settle back and see how fast I could get it. Previously the most I've done is about 62 (Those 70 mph reports are from skinny riders!).

I can't prove it, but my impression is that the improved aerodynamics of this little screen has added a good 5 mph to my easily reachable cruising speed.

Only issue with the screen is that it isn't clamped down as tightly to the rods as it should be even with the mounting bolts as tight as they will go.

-Mark
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Test ride

Post by ericalm »

BlueMark wrote:I can't prove it, but my impression is that the improved aerodynamics of this little screen has added a good 5 mph to my easily reachable cruising speed.

Only issue with the screen is that it isn't clamped down as tightly to the rods as it should be even with the mounting bolts as tight as they will go.
I had a similar result with the small windshield on my Vespa.

As far as mounting bolts, does the hardware include metal or rubber spacers? I actually had a windshield crack on me overnight, I suspect due to mounting it when it was warm outside then storing in the garage overnight where it got cold, bolts contracted, crack! (It wasn't due to overtightening, though—that windshield, which only lasted a few days before I had to exchange it, came loose every time I took it out.) So, it may help a bit to use rubber washers. My current windhield has rubber pieces on both sides of the shield which also seems to help with vibration.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BlueMark

Re: Test ride

Post by BlueMark »

ericalm wrote:As far as mounting bolts, does the hardware include metal or rubber spacers?
All metal

No instructions

I pre-fitted all the hardware before installation - and it seemed to me that the front and back bolts never fully engage the rod. Perhaps there is a missing rubber or plastic sleeve. Perhaps the front bolt is too short, or the windscreen is thicker than originally spec'd (the metal spacer that the front bolt goes through is recessed into the screen, so there is no slippage at the shield mount, the looseness is on the clamping to the rod. There is a bolt on the front and back of each mounting assembly, but neither appears quite long enough to engage the rod as a set screw.

I'm thinking a small disk of rubber - say from using a hole punch on a bike inner tube - could be dropped below the front bolt to give it something to push against the rod while also preventing metal on metal contact from marring the finish.

-Mark
Attachments
WindscreenMount02.jpg
WindscreenMount02.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
BlueMark

Shakedown ride

Post by BlueMark »

I went on an end of winter blow out the cobwebs country shakedown ride this afternoon. The new windscreen seems solid - even though I can grab it and adjust it on the rods by hand, it does not move during the ride. I think my 'rubber' disk hack will be all I need to secure it.

It was sunny and 45 degrees, with the windscreen shielding my torso I was able to wear a light jacket and stay plenty toasty.

No doubt about it, The windscreen adds at least 5mph to the top end. My top speed was just under an indicated 70mph today - the most I ever got previously was 62. I'm convinced a properly skinny rider could hit 75.

Even with the improved windscreen aerodynamics the Blur 150 isn't a highway cruiser (it can manage a 55mph state route) - But I bet the new 200 will be.

-Mark