No more lurking for me / 3rd switch position question

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

No more lurking for me / 3rd switch position question

Post by Lostmycage »

So, I got my Blur today. Well, I got the title and such. Due to the horrid timing on either my part or this Hurricane on the east coast this evening, I opted to leave it in the nice garage where it's at now till tomorrow evening. I got my share of down-pour riding coming home from work on the Buddy. At least I'll have legal tags on when I drive it home.

As soon as we drove off, we headed to ScootRichmond and picked up a Nautilus. I got spoiled on the Buddy. Looks like my Dr Pulley kit shipped today as well, so it's gonna get re-purposed to the Blur now.

Let the tuning begin! :twisted:
Last edited by Lostmycage on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Welcome to the Blur club! :D
If you're used to Buddy handling and brakes, you're going to find new limits to explore. As far as parts are concerned, stock replacement parts shouldn't be a problem, but you might have to wait a bit longer for some of the more uncommon parts as they have to come from Taiwan. Upgrade parts, on the other hand, may be harder to come by due to the fact that the US is still behind the times in scooter technology when compared to the rest of the world. I'm currently looking at some oversize front and rear disk brake rotors for my Blur and will definitely post pictures when I find some.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you find them.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

babblefish wrote: I'm currently looking at some oversize front and rear disk brake rotors for my Blur and will definitely post pictures when I find some.

I curious to why? Have you ever actually experienced fade? The stock brakes are really good, I'm more concerned with using too much rather than not having enough for sure. I don't see a reason to increase rotational weight.

Of course if you just think they look bad ass, which they do, then rock on :D
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Racenut wrote:
babblefish wrote: I'm currently looking at some oversize front and rear disk brake rotors for my Blur and will definitely post pictures when I find some.

I curious to why? Have you ever actually experienced fade? The stock brakes are really good, I'm more concerned with using too much rather than not having enough for sure. I don't see a reason to increase rotational weight.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could do an endo on the Blur if I set my mind to it. I sometimes have to tell myself to brake earlier because I fall into the habit of braking at the last second because I know I can.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

One day I was goofing around in the driveway. Stock brakes will grab enough to get the back wheel off the ground. :twisted:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The rain stopped today and I went to go pick it up.

You know, I honestly did think that the Buddy handled pretty well. The Blur is just amazing, though.

I'm gonna have to do a little tweaking to it first chance I get, as the Buddy's definitely got more pep to it. I'm thinking a pipe and rejet along with a Variator should hold me till I start cramming pistons that are too big in there. Do you guys think that 11g sliders in the Dr Pulley kit is too light?

And until then, I'm thinking of putting either 9.5 or 11g sliders in there mixed with the stock Blur rollers. The 11 and 9.5 mix works wonderfully in the Buddy. I'm thinking of mixing in the 11's with the stock Blur weights and seeing how that does.

Still looking for a windshield, for both the Blur and the Buddy. :(

Oh, and I'm just in for the looks of the bigger brakes, lol. There's some NCY discs at my dealer that look just plain wicked. Bigger area, better shape, possibly better cooling. I'd put something like that on the Blur. But yeah, as fantastic as this thing is around turns and such, the brakes too my breath away. Again, the Buddy's brakes are hands down great. The Blur's braking almost threw me off with no skidding (slight exaggeration, mind ya). Just phenomenal. The Brakes would be last on my list of mods, but they're on there. First is the Nautilus.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

I just wanted to comment on the 'vintage blur' listed by 'lostmycage'.

Has it come to that? lol!

I feel like I should be listening to oldies radio now while I ride on my Blur!

Welcome to the few, the proud, the Blur owners!

Enjoy.
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

blurblaine wrote:I just wanted to comment on the 'vintage blur' listed by 'lostmycage'.

Has it come to that? lol!
Nah, I'm a smartass by nature. It's hardly vintage, more like 1 of 2... I think I might just be pretty darn proud to be a Blur rider. I definitely feel as if I've done a service to this particular Blur. 1300 BDU's in 2 years? I did that on my Buddy in a little over a month. This one's gonna get a lot of love. More mods, but still, a good amount of love.

If it weren't for the rain today and family (extended :cry: ) tomorrow, it'd already have the Nautilus, a full compliment of Silverstars, a brake light modulator and a wee-bit lighter variator weights. With the shipment of the repurposed Dr P kit and 11g weights on the way, though, I might just hold off on swapping weights for the time being. We'll see.

Now.... about that digital dash.... but in blue! I've got some emails to send off.

Pics after the de-oranging.
slowpoke

another readon

Post by slowpoke »

When i rode home from work the first time after getting my blur it was dark and the lowbeam doesn't carry far. I was going 30 and saw the stopsign was about 30 feet ahead of me . I did a stoppie, a small one , and it scared me more than a little. The brakes are great
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

trhird position on light switch?

Post by Lostmycage »

So I have a bit of a question here. I could be completely daft in not observing the function of the third position of the light switch on the right side (where the emergency flashers are on the Buddy).

Far right: Running lights and dash lights off

Middle: running lights and dash lights on

Far left: ??

When i switch from the middle to the left, the lights blink, so I can tell that the switch does something, I just haven't been able to figure out what that something is.

If it's the eject button, it's not functioning....
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Mine does the same thing. I figure that it's just an unused position that might have originally been intended for a hazard flasher.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Seems that way, doesn't it? I wonder how much of a pain it would be to wire up that position for Hazard lights.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Probably a whole lot easier to just stash one of those cheapo emergency flashers in the pet carrier. In any case, it's all academic since most cagers around here don't see the headlight, don't see the high beam, don't see the brake lights, and don't see the turn signals. I imagine, therefore, that hazard flashers would be even less effective than a rabbit's foot.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Man, and to think I was gonna put a rabbit foot on my Blur just this evening, right after I finish putting in the Nautilus...

I'm still curious about that switch and making it functional.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I think it's that the headlight is on all the time, so the final position of headlight on doesn't make a difference. Just like most cars.

I thought about seeing if I could wire it up so I could turn the headlight off since the Silverstar bulb seems to be slowly killing my battery over time. Then I could just turn it off and let the battery charge up.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

That switch, in the USA version, turns the tail light on/off.
Far left = tail light is on
middle = I can't remember
far right = tail light is OFF
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

EP_scoot wrote:That switch, in the USA version, turns the tail light on/off.
Far left = tail light is on
middle = I can't remember
far right = tail light is OFF
Hrmm... I'm not sure about that. I've flipped the switch to the middle and left and looked at the rear and found no difference. Hope a tail-light isn't out. Judging from the icons on the label, it really seems as though it should be parking lights and full on lights. So we might just have a switch that's been "Mericanized".

I still wonder what it would take to rig it up so that the far left activated the hazard lights.

Still no brake light modulator or Nautilus. Tonight was "Teach the wife how to scoot" on the Buddy. I did manage to find a little time between that and a smallish cookout to swap out some roller weights. 3 stock and 3 Prima 9.5's. Took a short test run to make sure it wouldn't over-rev, which it didn't. It seemed a little quicker, but not just right. I love that it only takes like 20 minutes to swap out weights (10 of that involving dragging out the compressor and tools).

Has anyone found a good slider weight set up with the Dr Pulley variator kit? I've got mine sitting here ready to go in, but I received different weights than I had ordered. I'm about 210ish if that makes a difference (which as much as I'd like to pretend it doesn't, it does)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

You did notice that the amber LEDs come on in one position, right? Is that what you're calling "parking lights?"
Lostmycage wrote:Judging from the icons on the label, it really seems as though it should be parking lights and full on lights. So we might just have a switch that's been "Mericanized".
That's what I've figured all along. But it seems weird to me that you can't turn on the headlight with the engine off (well, actually you can, if you hold down the "PASS" button), it seems like that would be a good idea for safety in case your engine crapped out on a dark road at night. What's the Buddy (and other scooters) like in that respect, can you turn on the headlight with the engine off?

Let's talk about those amber LEDs. Anyone do anything fun with them?

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The Buddy's light stays off if the engine is off. Once the engine is running, the light stays on.

As for the ambers, I'm hesitant to swap them out for anything as I'm not sure how the local law would like that. There's a ton of potential for making them look absolutely awesome, but it's not worth the added attention.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I found a strobe kit that would easily drop in place of the ambers :twisted:

But yeah.... local PD probably wouldn't think it was so cool.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Racenut wrote:

No fade, just a pulsing braking action that might be a warped rotor. So, instead of replacing it with a stock disk, I may as well install something that looks cool. It's like guys replacing stock wheels on their cars with something bigger and flashier (is that a real word?) or someone jumping out of a perfectly good airplane - not necessary, but fun. :D
A bigger disk will make the brakes stronger and in a way I do need that because I tend to ride a bit fast all the time. 8)
I enter turns fast, brake hard then throw the scooter down into the turn. One of these days I'm going to hurt myself.

Note to Lostmycage: Since you're new to the Blur; be careful on left turns if you ride fast because the centerstand will touch down sooner on that side and may lever the rear tire off the ground in the middle of the turn. Exciting, yes, but bad for the cleanliness of your underwear...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Babblefish, thanks for the heads-up on the center stand.

Do you know if it's about the same as the Buddy? It seems like they're in about the same position, but because of the wheel size difference, the Blur might have a little more lean before the scrap. I've gotten both sides of the Buddy to scrap (second time was 2-up coming out of a parking lot, that was a little worry-some).

Side note, when I was changing the Variator weights in the Buddy, I noticed that it wasn't the side stand that had scrapped, it was that little black plate on the front underside of the CVT.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

we are all talking about an 06 blur right?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

justscooten wrote:we are all talking about an 06 blur right?
Yes, but I'm not aware of any difference in centerstands with the '07s.

On mine, it is definitely the centerstand that is touching down because I can see where it's scrapping. I've never ridden a Buddy so I don't know if they have the same problem.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

justscooten wrote:we are all talking about an 06 blur right?
I guess I was talking about the 06 because that's what I got. Am I not aware of differences between the 06 and 07 other than the color and odometer inaccuracies?