Alas, good gentlemen (and lady), I am no longer a Blur rider

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NathanielSalzman

Alas, good gentlemen (and lady), I am no longer a Blur rider

Post by NathanielSalzman »

That's right, I sold the Blur. Not for contempt of function or even style, but simply fit. I'm too tall for it and after 'bout 30:00, my arse would start hurtin' something awful uncomfortable. So last week I made a local guy very happy (and myself happy for basically breaking even on the bike) and sold my dear buddy Max.

In his place, I'm now the proud owner of a silver 2008 Vespa Grantourismo 200L. It's fantastic, I must say. The style. The comfort. The POWER. It's so nice to finally ride something that I can sit comfortably on. I picked it up yesterday and I'm already up over 100 miles. Wait a second, those might actually be miles! No more BDU's!!!

One thing I know I'll miss is the brakes. The GT feels like about 150% of the power the Blur had, but only about 80% of the brakes. It stops well enough to be safe, but I just don't have that confident bite I had on the Blur. Alas, you can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Anyway, I'll keep watching this board from time to time and I'll try to chime in if I can be helpful. Although I'll probably be much more active over on ModernVespa now too ;-)

The king is dead. Long live the king! And long live the Blurs of MB!

Photos of the new scoot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniels ... 183686642/
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm sorry to hear you go. Those brakes saved my wife and my self's lives the other night. Brakes are on the short list of any bike I consider from here on out and the Blur has set the bar extremely high.

Have fun on the new bike!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Hope the new bike serves you well. And hopefully you told the new owner about this place ;)
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Good for you Nathaniel !
You have been looking for a better ass placement for quite some time, so this should do the trick !

D.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Happy riding, Nathaniel. I'm looking forward to following your Stebel instructions for the second time this weekend, because I am once again a Blur owner! : )

Indianapolis is a cruel mistress, she takes away Blurs, but she returns them later, in a roundabout sorta way.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
NathanielSalzman

EP_scoot wrote:Good for you Nathaniel !
You have been looking for a better ass placement for quite some time, so this should do the trick !

D.
You need to drop by and see this bad boy, D!
illnoise wrote:Happy riding, Nathaniel. I'm looking forward to following your Stebel instructions for the second time this weekend, because I am once again a Blur owner! : )

Indianapolis is a cruel mistress, she takes away Blurs, but she returns them later, in a roundabout sorta way.

Bb.
I'm told the Stebel will fit under the horn cover on the GT, so that's probably in my future also. Although the horn on the GT ain't too shabby to begin with. This scooter continues to amaze me.
BGK

Re: Alas, good gentlemen (and lady), I am no longer a Blur r

Post by BGK »

The first mod I'd try would be to put on a kickstart lever!

http://scooter-center.com/catalog/produ ... s_id=12006

Mod 2: Maybe the brakes could be improved with full steel braided lines. But I think rather than something special about the Blur brake components, any difference may be due to the weight distribution. I bet the Blur is more evenly balanced from back to front and the GT is a bit more heavy in the rear. Interesting that it's so noticeable though!
NathanielSalzman

BGK wrote:The first mod I'd try would be to put on a kickstart lever!

http://scooter-center.com/catalog/produ ... s_id=12006

Mod 2: Maybe the brakes could be improved with full steel braided lines. But I think rather than something special about the Blur brake components, any difference may be due to the weight distribution. I bet the Blur is more evenly balanced from back to front and the GT is a bit more heavy in the rear. Interesting that it's so noticeable though!
Yeah, the lack of a kick starter is kinda disconcerting, but I only ride local, so I'm not too worried. It starts beyond instantly.

Looking more closely today, I think that the Blur has a much larger diameter disk on it, for one thing. The brakes are also getting better each day as they break in and as I get used to how to use them most effectively.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I love these. I've riden a GT and a GTS just enough to know I really like them. Can I ask why you opted for the 200cc GT instead of the 250cc GTS? Also, what about cornering. I love to lean, which is why I like the Blur. Similar, different, etc? I wonder if there's that much difference in performance and whether it would be worth the $700 extra. I love my Blur, and comfort is not a problem, but I really love the feel of the Vespa - the way you sit, etc.

You can really help me decide, because of your Blur experience, which is the same as me.
NathanielSalzman wrote:That's right, I sold the Blur. Not for contempt of function or even style, but simply fit. I'm too tall for it and after 'bout 30:00, my arse would start hurtin' something awful uncomfortable. So last week I made a local guy very happy (and myself happy for basically breaking even on the bike) and sold my dear buddy Max.

In his place, I'm now the proud owner of a silver 2008 Vespa Grantourismo 200L. It's fantastic, I must say. The style. The comfort. The POWER. It's so nice to finally ride something that I can sit comfortably on. I picked it up yesterday and I'm already up over 100 miles. Wait a second, those might actually be miles! No more BDU's!!!

One thing I know I'll miss is the brakes. The GT feels like about 150% of the power the Blur had, but only about 80% of the brakes. It stops well enough to be safe, but I just don't have that confident bite I had on the Blur. Alas, you can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Anyway, I'll keep watching this board from time to time and I'll try to chime in if I can be helpful. Although I'll probably be much more active over on ModernVespa now too ;-)

The king is dead. Long live the king! And long live the Blurs of MB!

Photos of the new scoot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniels ... 183686642/
NathanielSalzman

KCScooterDude wrote:I love these. I've riden a GT and a GTS just enough to know I really like them. Can I ask why you opted for the 200cc GT instead of the 250cc GTS? Also, what about cornering. I love to lean, which is why I like the Blur. Similar, different, etc? I wonder if there's that much difference in performance and whether it would be worth the $700 extra. I love my Blur, and comfort is not a problem, but I really love the feel of the Vespa - the way you sit, etc.

You can really help me decide, because of your Blur experience, which is the same as me.
I opted for the GT because of a handful of reasons:

A) I wanted a pure scooter — fuel injection, as great as it is, just seemed antithetical to that. As does the little on-board computer.

B) I used to have a P200E, in silver also, and this bike is just in so many ways the modern incarnation of that first scooter I used to have, but without the things that made me hate it. (really ass-heavy, no brakes, shifting, 10" wheels) It sounds silly, but I wanted another 200 just because of my nostalgia for that first scooter.

C) Price — One shop in town offered me a good deal (well below MSRP), and the other shop (who I actually like) matched it. They also helped me get the Blur sold, so I was happy to do business with them. The GTS just ended up being too much money in the end. And at only 2 mph faster, what am I really getting for my money?

D) Even though fuel injection has its merits, the GT200 is a mechanically simpler scooter = less to go foul in the engine and electrical.

E) All the GTS accessories and such fit the GT, since they're identical in chassis, suspension, wheels, brakes.

As for the handling, with the rear suspension adjusted to firm, it tucks in very nicely. It's got a different balance point than the Blur though, so it's a very different experience. The CG is aft and low compared to the Blur, which makes it corner in and lean just fine, but turn in differently. It's not better or worse, just different. The lighter front end (and 12" wheels) make it a bit more flickable than the Blur, but the Blur is more precise. For lack of a better way to describe it, it's got more character in the turns than the Blur did. Where the Blur is a precise, clinical cornering machine with lean the spare, the Vespa is so much more European in feel — has so much more character. It's a very sporting machine though, no doubts there. It's not like an american muscle car — great in a straight line and useless at everything else. It's astoundingly powerful for such a tidy little scooter, but you don't ever feel like you're over-riding the suspension.

What I really like is that with it being a little more rear-heavy than the Blur, the balance is absolutely perfect if I tuck my feet under me and lean forward over the bars. I have yet to really put it through it's carving paces though, just because it's gotten cold and the road just isn't as sticky as it was in warmer weather. It's very capable and nimble in the turns, but one thing it does that the Blur can't touch is that it will calm down and turn into a byway cruiser by simply sitting back up straight.

Bottom line though, I don't miss one single thing about the Blur. Seriously. What Blur? The GT's brakes have broken in now so they're more than adequate. If I want to get silly about it, maybe I can track down some larger diameter disks or some two-piston calipers. There are a set of grippy front brake pads for it that are pretty cheap. That's an over-the-winter thing though, if I did it at all.

All in all though, in a lot of ways I feel like the Blur was a waste of my time, but that's mostly just because of fit. It's brilliant in its own way, but now I get what all the fuss is about. The GT will absolutely walk away from the Blur. Actually, it will walk away from most cars. (I smoked an Audi A4 turbo the other day without meaning to — he was racing, I really wasn't) The speed is just incredible. That plus the ride comfort, the authentic scooter character, and the achingly gorgeous looks of the thing just win me over hands down. You really do get what you pay for. It's not just a premium on the name. It really is a magnificent machine.

Warning to you other Blur owners. If you like your bike, stay away from the GT/GTS!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Wow, thanks. What a review! Thanks for taking the time. this really helps me and probably gives me the confidence to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Vespa.

I do have one question. What about top end. At 60 MPH are you WOT or is there still a little to give?

Again. Thanks for the supurb answer to my question.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If Vespa made a sports scooter without the vintage look, I'm in! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
NathanielSalzman

The GT gets to and holds 60 mph the way the Blur does 45 mph. It's effortless. So far I've cruised at 65 no problem and there was still plenty left. Ill wait until after break in to look for the top. If the Aprilia SportCity is Any indication, the actual top speed on the GT is probably north of 80 mph. But top end aside, what will really blow your mind is how it blows through city traffic. The mid range power is just amazing.

I will say though that it is in desperate need of at least a minimal windscreen. With that in place, the advertised top end of 74 mph is probably easily surpassed.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

NathanielSalzman wrote:I will say though that it is in desperate need of at least a minimal windscreen. With that in place, the advertised top end of 74 mph is probably easily surpassed.
I don't know exactly how fast it can go, but I can tell you that a flyscreen was the secret to getting the maximum top speed out of my 2004 GT200. That and a slight tailwind. :wink:
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Just to give my own POV, having owned the 2004 Vespa GT 200 in the past. I should first add the caveat that the Vespa was my first scooter ever, so things like sentiment and rider inexperience may contribute to some of my impressions. I mean, heck, someone in Bajaj beat me as a newbie Vespa rider, and people often say Bajaj's are slow. But having said that, I think while some things can be improved with rider experience, like fast acceleration, handling, etc., some things, like top speeds, should stay the same regardless of rider input.

I'm inclined to say the Blur is better balanced and handles better. I feel like the Vespas are a tad rear-heavy (I feel this effect even more exaggerated in bigger scooters with a similar structure, like the Piaggio BV500.) The Blur is also leaner/narrower, so in California where it is legal to lane split, I have more confidence with the Blur than I had with the GT. I've taken the Vespa on the highway a few times (once on an 80-mile run through Marin), and I don't think it ever went much past 70mph (indicated on the speedo), although this depended on the winds - against a strong head wind it would dip below 65mph at WOT.

Having said that, I think the modern Vespas are well-built and have a comfortable, friendly feel to them, and they are fun to ride, probably at least in part due to the small 12" wheels that gives you more of a gliding feel in your ride. Despite the niceness of smaller wheels under some circumstances, if maybe they'd move the 250cc model up to 13" or even 14" wheels I might go back to a Vespa one day, because 12" can feel a bit small and uncertain on uneven or slippery surfaces. You do pay a premium on a Vespa (compare e.g. 250cc GTS vs. 500cc BV500 with a small price difference between them), but it's not just a brand name factor, I think they are very nicely made (although not perfect, as no scooter is - e.g., why don't they come with side stands? They are convenient for mounting and dismounting, especially with a passenger), and as they do have the brand name factor, they do better at resale than really any other scooter currently on the market. That's a very good thing, especially if you like to switch rides every year or two for variety, which I do.

I eventually sold the Vespa so I could get the BV500, with the idea that I could feel more stable at highway speeds and I am not WOT when going at highway speeds (nothing to make you feel limited than when you first try to catch up to the car before you and twist the wrist, to find... hey, no more throttle left). Buying the BV500 did accomplish that goal, but after the initial power rush I found that it was less fun than the Vespa at most speeds I was usually in, which are street speeds, not highway speeds. Which then made me start thinking of buying a smaller scooter for city activities. Which leads me to the Blur...

Well, what can I say? I finally realized I don't really go on highways all that much to need a bigger scooter. So I sold the BV500, and on occasional trips across the bridge (45mph limit), I do just fine on the Blur, even with cross winds (I have a windscreen and I tuck my body in - also I usually don't have my big Givi back case then, because that can affect that scooter at street speeds, the way the case catches the wind). At this point I've owned the Blur as long or longer than my other scooters, and I'm perfectly happy with it, other than a) lack of glove compartment; b) some lack of oomph (seems like that's the biggest gripe among Blur owners, besides rider ergonomics which depends on the rider); and c) unexceptional resale value (or so I imagine, since I haven't tried and don't see ads for Blurs here in the Bay Area, where scooters seem to get advertised at higher-than-KBB prices on craigslist, whatever the actual success rates for sales may be).

Having said that, if I had kept the Vespa all this time, would I still make the choice to switch to the Blur? Considering the expenses involved in switching, I'd say no, unless change for the sake of change itself was all I was looking for. They are similar enough in cc's and handling, storage, etc., that I don't think there's a big switch. Having the BV500 between the Vespa and GT has made each scooter switch significantly different for me. By comparison a Vespa-to-Blur switch would be too subtle to go through the trouble and expense of taxes, registration, abandoning any upgrades made to the old scooter, etc. Of course, we know at least one rider who has found the difference significant :) so the old adage of YMMV applies as usual.

So I am satisfied with the Blur. But a scooter-holic's never done... Now I'm thinking back to bigger scoots, like a Yamaha T-Max, or an Aprilia Mana (ok, technically an automatic motorcycle, but same idea) - but jeez, at those prices maybe I might as well just buy a car... But regardless, I plan to hold on the Blur, at least give it a season or two to compete against the new ride (I guess one thing about having low resale value is you're not that worried about having to sell right away to get that higher resale value - it's gonna be low regardless of when you sell). One thing I like about scooters is the idea of economy - gas, parts, size, price, etc. - even the part about not having to buy (or wear) a backpack for shopping, because of the built-in storage space :)
NathanielSalzman

The Blur is a superb scooter. It's seating position and my butt simply did not get along. I'll always miss the brakes and the sport-bike handling. But all-in-all, the GT is more of a true scooter, and the riding position is super comfortable. I do think there's a proper sport motorcycle in my future though. Something like the Honda 919 or the Triumph Street Triple. But the Vespa will remain my city street machine.