Would you still buy a Blur?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bluelghtning

Would you still buy a Blur?

Post by bluelghtning »

Okay, my gal has her scooter picked out (buddy 125 that we are picking up Wed), but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm getting.

One that I have been interested in is the Blur. I know they stopped importing them in 2007, but I found a nice used one or two that I've thought about. I'm not sure on the year, but I'm guessing both are 2007 models. Both have low miles (less then 1500 miles (or BDU's).

From reading the board, it looks like these were at a premium when the discontinuation was announced and then during the summer, you could get dealers to really deal on them if they could find some in the mid 2k's.

So knowing that they are discontinued, what would you pay for a nice used one? (realistic). What would you consider a smoking deal on one?. I've learned in the search for the Buddy that Genuine doesn't honor the warranty to the next owner, so I'm taking that into consideration also.

Parts? I would imagine they probably share some engine parts with other scoots, but how is it getting parts? Can you still get the digital dash that it seems so many have put on? I think they still make the Gmax over seas, so I'm guessing getting parts through your dealer should not be too bad of an issue?

Fitting on a Blur? I'm 6'4" 220lbs. Most of my height is in my torso as I only have a 34" inseam. I've yet to see a Blur in person, but the fact it's more sporty and the handling and brakes are raved about, that definitely interests me coming from a sport bike back ground. It also appears to be a taller scoot. Anyone my size/weight have any issues?

Anything else you can think of that I might check out? My gal will be on a buddy 125 and at 115lbs, I have no doubt I'm still probably going to be a tad slower then her, but thats not a big deal. I could go a bit larger, but I'm not wanting to loose the flickiness and fun of a small scoot in town.

Some other scoots I've been checking out are the Sym HD125 (maybe 200), Scarabeo, Fly 150, People 150/200. etc. Some of these carry a much higher price tag (even used). I'm not wanting to get too big as I want it to remain in fun in town and shine. This will not be used for highways. We may later get a larger scoot in the 250/300 range in the future, but want to start on the small ones right now and enjoy that.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Pricing on these is a very tricky subject to nail down. I got mine for about $2k in August, it's an 06 and it had 1200 miles on the clock. I'd buy it again. And again. The Buddy is a fantastic scooter, but the Blur's just made better. It doesn't have the acceleration as the Buddy with the stock set-up, but tweaks can really help that out. You've got 3" and 10-15 (good day/bad day) pounds on me. I fit fine on the Blur and I've got about 33" inseam. You'd maybe want to repad the seat, if anything.

Getting parts I can say first hand, is a waiting game. Yes they can be had, no, you can't get them right away. I was involved in a hit and run in Mid Oct and my Blur's been in the shop since.... supposedly it's due back today (Forks took forever to get in). I took a hit on the insurance quote to keep them from totaling it, if that tells you anything.

For a pristine Blur, I'd pay $2500-3000. That's me, though. It ultimately comes down to your preferences.

Short answer: Yes, I'd buy mine again (I actually did, come to think of it).

Oh, and PS: the Frame it much stronger than on a Buddy, just an FYI.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If the Blurs you're looking at are an orange/charcoal color combo, then they're 06's. The 07's have no orange panels or trim.

In so far as price, I paid $2900 back in April for a new '06, but I don't really follow the scooter market closely enough to tell you what the current going prices are. Personally, I'd go for about $2500 for either model year (used, depending upon mileage and condition, of course). I'd consider anything less than $2400 to be a really good deal.

If you don't have a dealer to turn to, then I wouldn't worry about the warranty transferability issue since you're going to be doing all of the wrenching yourself anyway.

As parts go, they can be a real PITA to obtain unless you've got a good, reliable dealer. Mine went belly-up, so I've been having to work directly with Genuine/Scooterworks, and they've been extremely accommodating.
Also, I wouldn't put too much hope in finding "generic" parts. For example, the belt is a proprietary oddball size, and the stock air filter would appear to be a "this-model-only" unit.

I'm 6'0/190 lbs. with a 28" inseam and I find the Blur's fit to be acceptable, but not fantastically so. You really should try one on just to be sure.

All that being said, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Plenty of power for my needs (typically between 45 and 55mph for a 20 mile round trip commute), handles beautifully, brakes extremely well, and also does well on gas (I average about 72mpg).
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Thanks for the help guys.

I believe these both have the orange panels, so I guess that means they are '06's and also the very weird ODO that counts in BDU's! hehe.

So, if I can get either one of these for $2k or less, you would say that would be a great deal. From what I've been told neither is wrecked, and both low mileage.

As far as warranty, I'm not too worried. The misses and I both do our own work anyways, so thats not a big deal and they seem to be dependable.

Our closest shop doesn't carry Genuine, but their sister shop does and they have agreed to help us out ordering parts and stuff, so that sounds good too.

I figure I can't touch anything close this type of scooter in that price range, and certainly not a Sym HD.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

for less than $2k, I'd buy in a heartbeat. Why are you still reading?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I really do think that you should try it on before buying. 'Lostmycage' is a bigger guy than I, and he's comfortable; I'm smaller and only "just comfortable". It's all a matter of personal preferences.

However, if it's a good fit, you like it, and you can get it for a flat 2K or less, then I'd say to go for it. One added benefit to the Blur is that you've got this thread on MB to turn to, on the outside chance that something goes amiss. I can hook you up with the GMAX service manual and parts list (really helpful if your knowledge of Chinese/English idioms is up to snuff).

BTW: Another hard-to-find item for the Blur is the front tire, although Genuine states that you can use the same size as that on the rear.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just to throw in another pricing data point, I paid $1700 for my '06 Blur in Nov. '07. It had a lot of miles on it (approx. 8K), but was very well maintained (looked like new) and came with a brand new rear tire (zero miles), windshield and Givi top case/rack. It's been running fine with just one hick-up with the battery dying due to the underseat light relay draining the battery down. Yes, I would buy one again - mainly because there's nothing else like it available in the US other than the new '09 Kymco Super 8, 150cc. The US is currently a desert wasteland when it comes to modern, sports-type scooters - about 20 years behind the rest of the world. :roll:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Well, I went and checked out one of the Blurs tonight and got a chance to ride it. It was pretty fun. The brakes definitely rocked. The tires were low though, so the handling was kind of fubared.

I fit on it pretty well, although not much room to move your feet around with that center part and not much room front/rear, but it was alright. The styling looked pretty good in person too. This one had some very minor scratches where it fell over in a driveway, but otherwise looked great with low miles.

I took it for about a 5 min ride and all seemed well. I got to about 60mph indicated going one direction and then 55mph coming back which was pretty much the top end, but I didn't have quite enough room to see if I could pull a few mph. It was pretty peppy in the mid range area. 20-40mph. I guess thats about normal for my weight and all.

I'm going to check out another one tomorrow, although its supposed to be raining. We'll see how things work out.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I find that you can get a little change of pace by moving your feet back to that small platforms where the passenger pegs are rooted, and sort of hooking your heels there. Not quite a sports bike position, but it allows you to shift the muscle strain a bit.

In terms of bodywork, black's an easy match as is the orange on the headset. Best of all, Autozone carries a drop-dead exact match for the charcoal.

-charlie
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

charlie55 wrote:I find that you can get a little change of pace by moving your feet back to that small platforms where the passenger pegs are rooted, and sort of hooking your heels there. Not quite a sports bike position, but it allows you to shift the muscle strain a bit.

In terms of bodywork, black's an easy match as is the orange on the headset. Best of all, Autozone carries a drop-dead exact match for the charcoal.

-charlie
I agree, I tend to find it more comfortable to put my feet back right where the passenger foot rests flip out. Drops my knees down and to me makes the bike more responsive and I feel more connected to the bike.

Thanks for the tip on the paint Charlie, mine has a small scuff in the paint that was there when I bought it, dealer supposedly ordered a new panel, but we all know how that goes... I'll check it out and just touch it up and forget about it. :)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Here's the color info:
.....Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts both sell "Dupli-Color" brand paint. DSGM318 "Charcoal Metallic" is almost the exact color of the grey in the 06's.....
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

If you still have that Ninja for sale I'd be willing to work out a trade plus some cash for my '07 (gray) Blur. It's got 2,500 miles. I also PM'd you with a Ninja question.
bluelghtning wrote:Well, I went and checked out one of the Blurs tonight and got a chance to ride it. It was pretty fun. The brakes definitely rocked. The tires were low though, so the handling was kind of fubared.

I fit on it pretty well, although not much room to move your feet around with that center part and not much room front/rear, but it was alright. The styling looked pretty good in person too. This one had some very minor scratches where it fell over in a driveway, but otherwise looked great with low miles.

I took it for about a 5 min ride and all seemed well. I got to about 60mph indicated going one direction and then 55mph coming back which was pretty much the top end, but I didn't have quite enough room to see if I could pull a few mph. It was pretty peppy in the mid range area. 20-40mph. I guess thats about normal for my weight and all.

I'm going to check out another one tomorrow, although its supposed to be raining. We'll see how things work out.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

KCScooterDude wrote:If you still have that Ninja for sale I'd be willing to work out a trade plus some cash for my '07 (gray) Blur. It's got 2,500 miles. I also PM'd you with a Ninja question.
I responded to your PM. I've already sold my 08 ninja.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I went and checked out the guy that had both Blurs tonight. Both bikes look good, plus he had 2 racks and 2 cases, plus a windshield on order (since this summer LOL). I really only needed one of them, but he was very anxious to sell both, so he made me a deal I couldn't resist.

So, instead of getting just 1 blur, I'll soon own two! :D

I put a deposit to hold them, but he needs to actually get the MSO's swapped over to actual titles. Hopefully he'll have that done tomorrow as he's going to where they print the titles right up on the spot. I should have them later in the week!

I can't wait!
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

BTW, I was reading about the digital dashes. Is there a store stocking those now? Can you still get them form overseas? If there is a thread, just direct me to that.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Excellent choice in brides and rides. Congratulations!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Welcome to the Blur club. Good plan buying a backup! I really wish I'd had that option when I got mine. I'll send you a PM about the digital dash.

Are they both pretty much stock? I'm just curious, not that I'd try to talk you out of a bit or piece to help finish rebuilding mine.... hehe.

You made a very solid choice, twice.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Thanks, I'll look for that PM

As far as I could see, both are stock. One has 800 Blur miles, and the other about 1300.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep both. I'll let the misses ride it too, but I have a feeling her buddy will keep her happy. I am thinking a larger scoot in the 250 range would be nice, so maybe one of the blurs will later be sold for that, but in the mean time, I'll enjoy both of them! hehe.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

Enjoy your Blurs. Excellent rides.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Congrats. You'll love the Blur(s).

I would be interested to see your riding impressions, especially in comparison to the Ninjas. Obviously not as speedy, but a heck of a lot of fun on the twisties.

Enjoy!!!
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Well, I picked up both Blur's this evening. A husband and wife bought both of these 2006 Blurs as left over brand new units in June of this year. I live on the south side of Atl and the Blurs were way on the north side in Woodstock, about 80 miles one way. I managed to sneak out of work early and beat rush hour traffic heading north which really helped. I have a big 3/4 ton long bed Diesel Truck that I knew could hold both scoots, but in hindsight tieing both down in the bed sucked. I should have just grabbed my small trailer, but I can't even see it behind my truck and it makes negotiating traffic a bit tougher so I chose to leave it at home.

I got to the guys house right about 3:30pm. We did the paper work and I began loading up the scoots.

I decided to load one backwards since that would keep the handle bars from hitting, but it was a royal PITA getting that backwards scooter to snug down since I couldn't really hold it tight against the back of the truck. I realized after I left his place I wasn't happy with it, so I stopped and fixed it a bit better and after that I was much happier.

Both scoots in the truck!

This is where I re-adjusted straps and got them both secure much better

Going down the highway

Safe and Sound in my garage with the rest of the fleet.

The one with the top box was the wife's scoot and only has about 700 miles. She stopped riding it when it got colder, so I think the battery is toast. I was able to kick start it just fine though. She also let it fall off the side stand one time, so it has some very minor scratches, but nothing bad.

The other one was the husbands. It has about 1400 miles and runs awesome. Its never been down and looks immaculate. I went and played on that one tonight and loved every minute of it.

I'm very happy with my decision of getting a blur. Coming from a sportbike background, these things handle like a dream and the bakes are like every review I've ever read and that is they are simply amazing. They are better then many sport bikes I've ridden which is pretty cool considering these are just scooters. The power is very nice and I think honestly it's quicker off the line then my misses buddy 125. It will be interesting how we do with each of us on our own scoots. I think the 13" tires are a nice compromise between stability and flickability. I can't wait to go push this scoot a bit harder in some twisities.

I had to go fill it up and then went and rode through town and met Sarah for Dinner. The speedo is definitely optimistic. I passed a speed sign that read 33mph when I was showing 40mph. I saw just shy of 70mph on the main road which means I should be able to hold an actual 55-58mph on flat ground with faster sprints down hill. I can't wait to put some miles on it.

I'm definitely sitting as far back in the seat as I can get and if I don't scoot forward when I stop, I'm actually not quite flat foot which feels weird since I'm so tall, but thats just because the seat is so wide back there.

I have another rack and top case that can go on the one that doesn't have one and there is a windshield on back order that has been transfered to me, so I'll be waiting for that to come in.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Welcome to Blurdom! :D

I've never been on a real sport bike. BUt my brother has a 1000cc Aprilia of some sort. While he was here visiting, he needed a way to get around so I let him ride the Blur. He acknowledge it was nowhere near as fast as his bike. But as far as handling and braking, his comment was HOLY SHIT! haha, he liked it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Congrats on the Blurs and the Buddy. I think you'll find that the Blur is an all around great scooter. I just got mine back together this afternoon and went riding around for a little less than 75 miles. Man what a difference between the Blur and the Buddy.

I see you got the 06 model. I'm personally not a fan of the orange, so I've de-oranged mine, but the wheels are still orange. I was going to change them, but honestly, that little bit is OK.

Let us know when you get your windshield in. It can be a little counter intuitive to install. My first ride with one had it whipping about like it was going to take off, then a little tweak or two and it was just right. The second windshield that I put on tonight I got right on the first try.

I think you probably got a great deal and I know you've got a great scooter. As far as the Blur vs. the Buddy 125, it'll beat it off the line no problem. The 150 Buddy is quicker though, but in my experience, the Blur has a higher top end. Plus a little tweaking can change everything.

Enjoy and welcome aboard!
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I've seen some pics of the 06 Blurs where you guys have painted or changed the colors and made them not so orange. I am thinking of de-stickering one at least to see how I like it. I don't think the Orange is too bad though since it is bright and I kind of like that.

We'll see how it grows on me.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It looks a lot better de-stickered, just be sure to have some Goof-Off handy. I lucked out on the panel swaps. There was another fellow in town who bought an 07, but really wanted the orange, so he bought and paid the labor for the shop to swap them all out. My dealer told me about this guy and gave him my number. I ended up helping him install the Stebel Nautilus horn (this should be your first upgrade!) and did a little computer work for him and we just traded. I'm not sure if I'd have been willing to buy all the parts just for aesthetics. I compensated for the lowered visibility by adding a Shad top case with reflective tape on the back and I wear reflective gear.

If orange is for you, then you're in luck! Others have had luck in painting with the Krylon fusion (I've painted my buddy with this with great results). It is almost universally agreed upon that the 06 Blurs look a lot better without the Orange vinyl stickers though, hehe.

Enjoy!
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Wow, that worked out for you for the panel swap.

On the horn, what horn does the 08 Buddy 125 have? I noticed the Blur horn is no where near as loud. I had to already test it tonight when some dude in a parking lot on his cell looked right at me and pulled out. I was disappointed in the horn.

I'm definitely adding a cig plug or two. Did I read that the 08's came with one? Is it in the dash or under the seat? I'd like to find a way to do a clean install around the dash like the buddy has. That would be perfect.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Oh yeah, I think Sarah and I are both going to look into adding LED's on the roar to make ourselves more visible. I need to look more into that.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The 07's (there sadly was never an 08 ) have the plug under the seat and it's directly connected to the battery with an in line 1 amp fuse... it makes the seat pan ever tougher to get out. The Buddy 125 has the Stebel Magnum horn (136 db vs the Nautilus' 139db). I started out on the Buddy 150, which has the Nautilus. The Blur horn was laughable at best in comparison. Day two with the Blur saw the meep-meep horn go into the parts closet. Nathaniel Salzman has an excellent write up on the Nautilus install, which is a perfect fit in the Blur (be sure to use the relay!) I've installed two of them now and it's about an hour and a half at lazy afternoon pace.

A word of caution about adding too many electrical add-ons: the Blur's charging circuit is not known to be the best. A few have added the Silverstar headlight and found that their stator wasn't able to keep up with just the occasional riding. Babblefish disconnected the pet carrier light and added a bigger battery and has reported no problems after those mods. Others have found the Blur's battery dead after installing a higher wattage lamp or leaving the keys in the ignition. My electrical system is stock so far, with the exception of a brake light modulator and a direct battery hook-up for the Slime air pump (both of which I highly recommend).

If you have any questions, you know where to ask! Hehe.

(edited to make "08)" "08")
Last edited by Lostmycage on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Two good looking scoots. I'd actually like orange better, but I have an '07. Speedos seem more realistic on the '07 from other threads.

You'll love the windshield. It will give you more top end. Of course, you can ride these like a sportsbike. When they race them in Taiwan the guys sit all the way back with their feet on the passenger pegs so they can lay down. I've got pictures I downloaded from a Hong Kong magazine.

Here's my fully-dressed Blur.

Again, congrats.
Attachments
blurdressed.jpg
blurdressed.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Here's some Blur racing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHVWp6FeFc
Attachments
gmax2.jpg
gmax2.jpg (129.33 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
gmax150_image_racing11.jpg
gmax150_image_racing11.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Lostmycage wrote:The 07's (there sadly was never an 08 ) have the plug under the seat and it's directly connected to the battery with an in line 1 amp fuse... it makes the seat pan ever tougher to get out. The Buddy 125 has the Stebel Magnum horn (136 db vs the Nautilus' 139db). I started out on the Buddy 150, which has the Nautilus. The Blur horn was laughable at best in comparison. Day two with the Blur saw the meep-meep horn go into the parts closet. Nathaniel Salzman has an excellent write up on the Nautilus install, which is a perfect fit in the Blur (be sure to use the relay!) I've installed two of them now and it's about an hour and a half at lazy afternoon pace.

A word of caution about adding too many electrical add-ons: the Blur's charging circuit is not known to be the best. A few have added the Silverstar headlight and found that their stator wasn't able to keep up with just the occasional riding. Babblefish disconnected the pet carrier light and added a bigger battery and has reported no problems after those mods. Others have found the Blur's battery dead after installing a higher wattage lamp or leaving the keys in the ignition. My electrical system is stock so far, with the exception of a brake light modulator and a direct battery hook-up for the Slime air pump (both of which I highly recommend).

If you have any questions, you know where to ask! Hehe.

(edited to make "08)" "08")
Yeah, I meant 07. Just had 08 on my mind I guess thinking about Sarah's buddy. Hmm, well I think either one of the horns from the buddy will be a vast improvement. I'll definitely be looking into that.

I knew going into this the scooter's extra electrical stuff was questionable at best. That kind of stinks because the XT225 that I have has an awesome stator output and can run my electric vest just fine and even a set of electric grips. I doubt I could even squeeze a set of electric grips on the scoot. Well at least when the warmer temps get here, that won't matter and I'm not letting it bother me know. I still rode mine in this morning and loved every minute of it!

I had read about several people having dead batteries because of the carrier light. I have noticed though the pet carrier light appears to shut off by itself after about a minute, even if the seat is still up? I may still pull mine, we'll see. My scoots will be sitting on a battery tender anyways, so I'm not too worried about it.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

KCScooterDude wrote:Two good looking scoots. I'd actually like orange better, but I have an '07. Speedos seem more realistic on the '07 from other threads.

You'll love the windshield. It will give you more top end. Of course, you can ride these like a sportsbike. When they race them in Taiwan the guys sit all the way back with their feet on the passenger pegs so they can lay down. I've got pictures I downloaded from a Hong Kong magazine.

Again, congrats.
I like the 07 look too, but the orange doesn't really bother me. Its different and I like that. I have read where the 06's have terrible odo's and that the speedos seem pretty far off. I'll run a GPS on mine and compare. I'm sure mine will be like most every other 06 I've read about.

I can't wait to get the windshield. I need to goto to that scooter store where it is and talk to them. Its been on order since this summer. :( Is there anywhere that has the blur windshield in stock? They said I could just have a store credit if I don't want to wait on the windshield. I might just use that money to buy Sarah a windshield for her Buddy if I can find somewhere else that has the Blur windshield in stock.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I rode the scoot into work today and what a blast. I can't rave enough about how good this one handles and the brakes are just phenomenal. I find myself waiting to the last possible moment to just hammer on the brakes and make a turn. It almost has me trying to back it into the turns! hehe. It's amazing how much fun you can have on a small bike you aren't too worried about bucking you off.

The Blur is surprisingly peppy off the line, alot more then I thought it would be. Sarah's Buddy 125 is supposed to be one of the fastest scoots out there in its class since its so light, but I think the Blur has it beat on acceleration. If cars are just taking off their normal speed, I have no trouble zipping in front of them. The 10-40mph is very impressive. After that my acceleration starts dropping off.

I even found myself getting a little cocky on a 4 lane part of the road where I had to zip around a few cars in the left lane, knowing I had to get back to the right to make a right turn up a head. If they would have jumped on it, there was nothing I could have done, but I made it in plenty of time.

Woohoo, I just want to go play on it. Oh yeah, my scoot has a tach on it. Not sure what good that is with a CVT tranny, but it's fun to look at. It hangs around 8k RPM's on full throttle.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, now you're officially a Blurrist. I still have my pet carrier light hooked up and have had no issues with it draining the battery, but again, everything's pretty much stock in the electrics system. The tach seems pointless until you start tweaking it. Getting the right idle by ear isn't too hard to do if you know how it should sound, but it's nice to have visible confirmation. It also lets you know if you've got the right weights in and if you're in it's power band or not. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it seems like it is. Speedos are all over the place on accuracy. I think I got lucky with mine. It's 5mph optimistic at 65mph (via GPS), less at lower speeds. I never really pay attention to it, though. Just keep up or ahead of traffic :).

I had to leave mine at home today (so sad too, the weather is perfectly mild) because the old inspection sticker is on the old forks. I'll be leaving work early to get it inspected again. Tomorrow's not looking too bad weather-wise... as if that really mattered!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

If you can't get anywhere with the windshield call Scooterworks in Chicago. It's a small operation. I imagine if they can't find one for you they can give you enough clues to where you can buy one in Tiawan and have it shipped. They're great to deal with. If you are in Chicago, go by the store. It's really tiny, but it feels like visiting the Holy Land.

By the way, I was in there a few weeks ago when I was in Chicago and they had one performance pipe for the Blur left. It had a slight dent, and they were willing to deal. I passed this on to my wife, who chose to bless me with un-scooterish Christmas gifts. Ask around. It's probably still available.

It's great to have another dedicated Blurist. Your enthusasiam is appreciated by all of us. Throw a top case on it and I can't think of a better commuter - as long as you don't need to do a lot of freeway time on the way to work.
bluelghtning wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:Two good looking scoots. I'd actually like orange better, but I have an '07. Speedos seem more realistic on the '07 from other threads.

Again, congrats.
I like the 07 look too, but the orange doesn't really bother me. Its different and I like that. I have read where the 06's have terrible odo's and that the speedos seem pretty far off. I'll run a GPS on mine and compare. I'm sure mine will be like most every other 06 I've read about.

I can't wait to get the windshield. I need to goto to that scooter store where it is and talk to them. Its been on order since this summer. :( Is there anywhere that has the blur windshield in stock? They said I could just have a store credit if I don't want to wait on the windshield. I might just use that money to buy Sarah a windshield for her Buddy if I can find somewhere else that has the Blur windshield in stock.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Cool, I'll keep that in mind if I don't get anywhere with my local shop with the windshield.

I haven't even looked at pipes or anything like that. What does a pipe normally go for? Is it really a performance increase, or just more sound and more fuel? :) Is there a weight savings, as that could add up?

What about variator weights and stuff? Since I come from motorcycles with chains and sprockets, I haven't dealt with this much before. I'm assuming a lighter weight allows it to spin up faster, hence more take off power, maybe at the expense of top end speed? Larger weight increases your top end speed, but slower accel?

I'm really trying to keep the scoot more economical for the best fuel mileage. My commute is only 4 miles, so no interstate or anything like that. The main hwy through town is 4 lanes with a 55mph speed limit, but lots of lights that keep the speed down. I have a lot of back roads I can take too with lower speeds, so that isn't much of an issue.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

According to Scooterworks' website, they've got the windshields in stock:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 44C291.cfm
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

There are a lot of threads in here about mods and the Buddy stuff should apply to the Blur. Genrally, I think weights (Dr. Pully seems to be popular) seem to make the scoot quicker. Pipes, from what I'm told, have more affect on two-strokes, so any pipe is going to make a bigger difference in sound and looks than anything else. As for getting more top end, the windshield is going to be your best bet.

I'll try to find the tread from a supplier who has mods available for the Blur that has been Blur tested.
bluelghtning wrote:Cool, I'll keep that in mind if I don't get anywhere with my local shop with the windshield.

I haven't even looked at pipes or anything like that. What does a pipe normally go for? Is it really a performance increase, or just more sound and more fuel? :) Is there a weight savings, as that could add up?

What about variator weights and stuff? Since I come from motorcycles with chains and sprockets, I haven't dealt with this much before. I'm assuming a lighter weight allows it to spin up faster, hence more take off power, maybe at the expense of top end speed? Larger weight increases your top end speed, but slower accel?

I'm really trying to keep the scoot more economical for the best fuel mileage. My commute is only 4 miles, so no interstate or anything like that. The main hwy through town is 4 lanes with a 55mph speed limit, but lots of lights that keep the speed down. I have a lot of back roads I can take too with lower speeds, so that isn't much of an issue.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

bluelghtning wrote: It's amazing how much fun you can have on a small bike you aren't too worried about bucking you off.
Yeah, my impression exactly. When I first got the scooter from my dealer, it was the first scoot I got new and I asked how to ride it during the break-in period. He told me (this is a quote): "Beat the s**t out of it." Since then I've been trying to obey these words of wisdom.