Going to look at a Blur this weekend

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HauntedMyst

Going to look at a Blur this weekend

Post by HauntedMyst »

Hi all, new to the board. I am gonna go look at a used Blur this weekend. Anything I should look out for that wouldn't be obvious? Do these scooters hold up well? I have a Honda right now but am looking to add another bike to the stable.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Hi, welcome to the board!

I can't think of anything Blur-specific you'd want to check, just keep in mind that if it's an 06 (orange/grey), the mileage is probably between 1.5 and 2x the odometer reading, which isn't accurate in km OR miles.

usually accessories aren't big selling points but since the chrome rack and windscreen are hard to come by, if it has those, that adds some value. If it has the upgraded speedometer (w/digital tach and speedometer), that's a plus, too.

Aside from that, just the usual scooter stuff, make sure all the lights work properly, that it starts easily, runs smoothly, brakes work well, etc. If it's been sitting a long time without being ridden, be sure the carb isn't clogged up, the tires are inflated properly and in good shape, etc. before riding. The exhaust might have started to rust, but there shouldn't really be any other rust on it for a bike that new, especially if it was garaged. Look for any signs of crash damage, make sure the front wheel is aligned properly and there's no damage to the fork. Make sure the paperwork is good and you're getting a clear title and a bill of sale so you can title it at the DMV.

Don't buy "Oh, the battery is just dead," or "Oh, the gas is old," or "That bulb just needs to be replaced." If someone can't bother to get the bike in proper running order before trying to sell it, they probably didn't take very good care of it all along. (If the battery is dead, you should still be able to kickstart the bike.)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

illnoise wrote:Hi, welcome to the board!

I can't think of anything Blur-specific you'd want to check, just keep in mind that if it's an 06 (orange/grey), the mileage is probably between 1.5 and 2x the odometer reading, which isn't accurate in km OR miles.

I think you mean the other way to get closer to the actual mileage. The odometer reading is going to be high since the BDU counts so fast. So technically multiply it by .5 to .6 to get a more actual mileage reading. If its truly KM, it would be about odo x .62, but most people have found their odometers off more then that. .6 is probably a safe bet.

BTW, good luck. I just bought two 06 Blurs here in the Atl area and I'm loving them! They are a blast.

Mine had 1300 and 700 BDU's respectively on them. One is at 1400 and the other is getting closer to 1000 already!
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

BTW, if you do get it.

Its probably in your best interest to go ahead and do an oil change and gear oil change right away just so you know they are done and at the right levels. It's easy, cheap and a good piece of mind. The gear oil holds 90cc's and many people over fill this which causes seepage onto your rear tire. The oil is just less then a quart.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

bluelghtning wrote:I think you mean the other way to get closer to the actual mileage. The odometer reading is going to be high since the BDU counts so fast.
Duh, right. Math is hard. : )

Bb.
HauntedMyst

Post by HauntedMyst »

Thanks guys. He says this one has 4K miles and has been stored outside. He isn't asking much for it and I'm hoping to make it a winter project but with a scoot stored outdoors in CHicago, I don't expect it to be in very good shape.
charlie55

Just be careful

Post by charlie55 »

If this is the scooter:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/980300727.html

then proceed with caution.

First off, the seller doesn't appear to be too bright. Not a sin in itself, but could be indicative of someone either too lazy or dim-witted to properly maintain a vehicle of any sort.

Secondly, in the add he states that this scooter "can take a beating". Big red flag on this statement.

Be careful.
HauntedMyst

Post by HauntedMyst »

Hi Charlie,

Thats the one. And I agree on the red flag - I have to ask him what kind of a beating its already taken. I've called him and left a couple of messages but haven't heard back yet - maybe its sold.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Ads like that freak me WAY out. somewhere in America, there's an ad that vague, with that many spelling errors, selling my stolen Blur, I'm sure.

Hate to blindly accuse the dude of theft or deceit, but you don't generally buy a $3500 scooter then sell it for $1000.

On the other hand, considering the spelling, and that he's got a Florida phone number and he lives at Clark and Devon, maybe he's just a down-on-his-luck Indian dude who realized scooters aren't as practical here as they are in India. : )

Bb.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Illnoise! you should hope in your car and go take a look! Seriously!

I'd love to see justice done. At least smack him with a dictionary!

Just take a car or something, he might get freaked out if you show up on another blur, hehe.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Have you actually been able to get in touch with anyone at that number? Reason I ask is that the area code's one off from 773, which, I believe, is for Cook County.

Given his mastery of spelling and grammar, it seems reasonable to assume that he probably got his own phone number wrong as well.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Guys:

Played my hunch on the 773 area code.

First of all, the name in the ad is Gary. So, I googled "457 2091" Illinois. Came up with this link:

http://www.jewishclassifieds.com/JC/Ads ... ?AdID=2309

Shows a guy named Gary Michaels, a link to the biz he runs, and the phone number (773) 457 2091. Also has his email address.

Might want to run with this and see what shakes loose. May be legit after all and just guilty of screwing up his phone number.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Charlie55 P.I. - nice work :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Ok, yeah. With all that... throw a large print book at him! Hardcover!

No sense in abusing the internet! It's just wasteful.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
HauntedMyst

Post by HauntedMyst »

Thanks Charlie! I didn't hear back from him. I called him but only got voicemail. He had the same ad previously, with the correct 773 area code. It snowed all day and the roads are covered so hopefully, he'll be around during the week when the streets are plowed.
JOHN E

Post by JOHN E »

HI. I found this site after researching the blur that I bought in this topic. Just to let every one know the bike was covered with snow and its cold here(22F) . The bike did not want to start. I took a chance and took his word that it would run . All electrical items horn, turn, lights work great. this guy has no tools but cliamed that scooter works did the brakes .Because it would not start I offered him 900 and he took it. Another victim of the economy. (His condo for sale and other problems.) He seemed to be honest so I went for it. After gas(yes the gauge works)and 15 minutes on the charger , I did a hot lap on my icy street. problems are a broken seat latch and one rear foot peg. and its a 2007 with 6500 on clock. body looks great after a year in the city. will post pics tonight !!!!!!
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Congrats man!

I guess since its 2007, that means its all charcoal color. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

You can't go wrong for that price. Hopefully it will give you lots of fun!
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

JOHN E

Post by JOHN E »

heres the pictures------------ sorry for the quality I broke the lcd on the camera. I broomed of most of the snow. you can see some of the snow melt. I plan on going over the whole bike before spring. One thing I did not get was a owners manual. is there a source for these? I plan on giving scooter works in chicago a call
Attachments
blur2.JPG
blur2.JPG (142.62 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
blur1.JPG
blur1.JPG (134.21 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

That's a 07 blur, it has a physical badge instead of vinyl logos 06 models used.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Congrats on the purchase. Unless it's just an aberration in the first picture, that back rotor looks to be as rusty as hell, but you've probably already seen that.

Might have a pdf of a G-MAX 150 owner's manual on my PC at work. I'll check tomorrow. I do have pdfs of the G-Max 150 service manual and parts diagrams if you need them.
hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

Enjoy your blur my firend
JOHN E

Post by JOHN E »

thanks for the kind words. There is surface rust on the resr rotor.It was packed with snow and is still melting. It will be cleaned with brake clean tonight.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Congrats! Looks like a sweet deal. You gotta expect a bit of the rust with it sitting outside, but I don't think that is bad and the rotor isn't anything to clean up!
BlueLghtning
My Pictures