Low rear brake pressure

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scooterdude

Low rear brake pressure

Post by Scooterdude »

During the last few weeks, I have noticed that I have to "pump" the left brake lever because of low brake pressre for the rear brake. Not always, but especially after a higher speed run, i.e. 55 plus, lasting five or ten minutes. After I squeeqe the lever two or three times. the pressure returnes to normal. It actis like low brake fluid but I have never had a brake fluid leak. Anyone else having such a problem?
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

It sounds like an air bubble has gotten into your rear brake line. You need to bleed it.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Have you checked your brake fluid? You don't have to have a leak. It will go down as the pads wear.
ScootVet

Post by ScootVet »

I experience the same thing after running fast for a while. Last summer, I wondered if it was being caused by heat, but it has happened in some pretty cool weather as well. 3 pumps and the pressure returns. Normal braking in stop and go traffic...it only seems to occur just after riding fast for an extended period. I just figured it was a Blur idiosyncracy???
davelhunter

I have the exact same problem!

Post by davelhunter »

After changing my rear tire, I have been experiencing the exact same problem. If I am in stop & go traffic it is fine. When I am doinf extended high speed driving, I have to pump the rear break lever in order to build up pressure in the line. Does anyone know a solution to this?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You might have introduced air into the line while the calliper was dangling when you changed the tire if you didn't secure it to the frame somehow.

Pop the handlebar cover off and check the reservoir to make sure it's in spec. If it is, bleed the breaks, if it's not top off then bleed the brakes.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

What do I need to do to bleed the brakes?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Use :arrow: <a href="http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... m">This</a> as a reference. With the rear brake it's really handy to have one of those vacuum bleeder kits. I tried it the old fashioned way on my old cars and believe me, assistant or not, it sucked!
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

You are correct... mine was doing the same thing. Bled them (old fashioned way!), and it fixed the problem right up.

Ted
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

What all is involved in "popping the handlebar cover off?" Do I have to disconnect anything like the speedometer? My back brake just started acting goofy like the OP's.

Cheers.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You'll have to take the headset cover off and disconnect the gauge cluster and speedo to get to the reservoir covers.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Check my article on installing a digital cluster in the Technical Library. There are instructions on how to remove the top cover.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

Thanks for the help!

This is for you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo