Pod Filter & Rejetting Question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ender07

Pod Filter & Rejetting Question

Post by ender07 »

So I decided my current plan of attack for modding my Roughhouse was to get some new roller weights, replace the clutch springs with performance high tension ones, add a 1000 RPM contra spring, bolt on the Prima performance pipe, and lastly rejet the carb. I also wanted to get a pod filter so it gets some more air, but I wasn't sure exactly what model would work on a stock 50 buddy intake.

I found the pod filter Here and I was hoping that would be correct since I saw it mentioned in a previous thread.

I live in Madison, WI which is roughly ~850ft above sea level and I am running the stock main jet right now. I have scooterworks sending me 85, 90, & 95 jets right now, but I really don't know which one to use. I am down to 218LBS (just lost 22LBS and still going w00t! ) so it will be carrying a "heavier load" than someone around 170LBS.

I imagine its going to take some trial and error to test out the spark plugs to achieve the proper mocha color, but I was hoping someone might have some insight as to what jet might be the best to install with the pipe & the pod filter upgrade. Also, is the pod worth it or should I just modify the airbox? (A how-to somewhere would be nice for that!)

Thanks guys! :D
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Having gone through the research phase myself I feel your 'pain'. The RH is one of the hardest scoots to mod IMO. That being said you may want to start in this direction 6 or 6.5 rollers, 1500 contra, 1000 clutch springs and a 95 jet<--- this is just a starting point for the jet. The pod filter looks to be a 35-38mm not the 44mm your site shows, although when your talking mm's it may not make that much of a difference with stretchy rubber. Or this for the airbox mod http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/pg ... irbox.html .

Have you considered the possibility of just replacing the engine with a 125 or 150, that's where the real research comes in.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Honestly, I don't see a reason to mod the RH beyond de-restricting.
After a long winter of just starting her up in the garage once a week for a 15 minute warmup, today was the first day I took the RH out for a spin (48 degrees, woopee). Had no trouble burying the 50mph speedo, which I'm guessing is an actual 45mph. And this is with only 420 miles on the odometer. Once the 2T gets completely broken in this summer, I can see an honest 50mph out of these little guys. Not sure I'd want to go any faster than that on this scoot.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Its not so much FASTER for me, I just enjoy the low end power and quickness from the performance parts.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Yeah, my main goal is not more top end but more bottom-mid power since there are quite a few hills I have to drive up. Being a tall guy over 200 LBS it takes its toll on the engine when it tries to pull me up a hill. I can hit 55 indicated without an issue on a flat strech but I was seriously losing speed up hills and would piss off the cagers behind me to no end.

I had enough of people being pissed off and blowing around me to go faster (only to hit the same light as me at the next intersection). So far the clutch springs and roller weights mods have improved performance a bit but not enough to help shlep my torso up the hill with a good amount of speed.

All in all I'm hoping that since I got this RH pretty budget anyways I can sink $200 (with over $100 in gift cards) into the scoot and get some of the performance I need out of it.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

**UPDATE**

I just wanted to let those who were following this know what I ended up going with...

I put the 95 jet in the carb but it sheared off when tightening...I have another on order from scooterworks so I slapped in the 90 for the time being. I went ahead with the install of the 5 gram rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, and the Prima pipe. Talk about an AMAZING difference between stock vs performance! Since I am taller (6'2") and am about 215, I tend to be a heavier weight than alot of other scooter riders who ride 50's so I was always losing speed uphill and my acceleration kinda sucked.

Now with everything installed its like a new scooter! I can accelerate like a bat outta hell from a dead stop and can accelerate uphill (OMFG!) and I hit roughly 65 indicated at WOT when on a flat stretch! I only rode it a short while today because I didn't want to be too hard on it with only a 90 jet in the carb. I am going to wait for it to get a bit warmer out before I ride again because for some stupid reason it started snowing again today in WI (in feakin' April) But I digress, I will get that 95 jet in once it comes in the mail sometime in the next few days and once that's installed I will do a plug chop and see where its at.

Thanks for the input and help with this and all my other posts. You guys are awesome!
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Please do keep us posted on your progress. Even though I'm not looking for a top end of over 50, I wouldn't be adverse to getting there faster :twisted:

And yeah, this weather is crazy. Warm, cold, rain, snow. Sometimes all in the same day.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln