Some Roughhouse questions for current owners

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rory

Some Roughhouse questions for current owners

Post by rory »

Hey all. New to the board. I've previously owned a yamaha vino (2005), and am thinking of picking up a roughhouse. My old yamaha was a solid champ for years, until I derestricted it, then I noticed problems. Now my local dealership says he derestricts the roughhouse all the time when selling them. Have any of you noticed any problems or maintenance issues after derestricting yours? Should I wait to do so until it's broken in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Mine came de-restricted from the dealer. The Roughhouse restrictions are meant to help the scooter meet US regulations, but they were not what the designers intended when the designed this scooter. The design was meant to not have restrictions and the scooter works very well without them.

Also, the Roughhouse restrictions are very easy to remove and are fairly innocent. The restrictions are: a washer in the CVT transmission to keep it from shifting up to higher speed, and a washer in the exhaust to make the exhaust work inefficiently.

I believe this scooter is much better off with these removed, and you should not be worried about it.

By the way, I have a bit over 500 miles on mine (bought it in March). And I am happy with it. It is much faster than a Ruckus or Metropolitan (which annoys my son; he has one of each of those).
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
nickelpete

Post by nickelpete »

I have 220 miles on my derestricted RH50. Just changed my gear oil last weekend.

Mine came derestricted from the dealer as well. They did charge me $70 for doing it, but it was well worth it. It really does fly up hills...
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Like others, mine came derestricted from the dealer (per my request).
Just over 500 miles later, no problems/complaints. It will bury the 50mph speedo, which probably means an actual 45+. Once the engine is totally broken in I'd expect to get another 2-3 mph.
The only downside is what's typical of a 2T, does not like cold weather without re-jetting.
Anything under 45 degrees or so it will sputter & you will have to blip the throttle to keep it from stalling out. No biggie unless you regularly ride in cold weather.
Overall, the RH is the best bang for your buck in that category.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Got my rh derestricted from the dealer in april
1500 miles strong and not a problem.
Get it you won't regret it.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

'09 RH checking in here. Don't worry about the de-restriction's. As others have said its just to keep the US Auto makers happy, remove 'em and forgot about 'em. Mine came de-restricted and if you have a little mechanical skill you can remove the restrictions yourself.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing