Alright, here's a silly question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

oruacat2

Alright, here's a silly question

Post by oruacat2 »

I bought my Buck10 last fall - because I only rode her for a few weeks around the neighborhood before cold weather set in, I haven't bought a helmet yet.

Any suggestions for a helmet that is functional but doesn't make me look like a geek or a Hell's Angel wannabe? lol What about some goggles, for helmets without a full face shield?

I wear prescription glasses, and I noticed quickly that above 20mph, that wind gets pretty rough on the eyes/face.

Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.

KD
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I feel there are only two choices of helmet that suit the rattler, a full face moto-x or a german style bucket with spike
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

helmets are a touchy subject around here....
but my 2 cents

I only wear a helmet some of the time depending on where I am going & I wear a full face - my though is that if I am going to go through the trouble of wearing one, I want to protect my face (& keep my teeth)
the open face helmets, while looking cooler, seem like they are leaving the most important parts of your head exposed (eyes, jaw, teeth, etc)

When not wearing a helmet (when I am running around town & keeping it under 30mph) I put in the contacts & wear cycle glasses - these have padding that keeps them tight on your face so the wind does not get in your eyes (i also assume they would be good with an open face helmet)
you can find them lots of places - i got mine on amazon cheep

if you search on helmet you will find several discussions on full face v. open

ride safe & have fun
oruacat2

Post by oruacat2 »

Well, I'm gonna give the AFX FX-42A a shot. It's reasonable-looking, inexpensive, and has the face shield. I like the flat-black color, but I'm going with the white since it'll be cooler in the summer, plus more visible to other drivers. If I hate it, I'm only out $60.

I've got a big melonhead, so finding a helmet in XXL was a priority.

Thanks!
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

i have a afx flat black moto-x helmet, works great and a nice fit. The company is awesome, they answer emails and sent me new cheek pieces and a breath deflector just to try out.
Latch

Post by Latch »

oruacat2 wrote:

This is the helmet I wear. I have it in flat black. I think it looks awesome, its very comfortable not tight but cant move around on my head either. I want to get a full face though for winter and also grit still manages to get in your eyes even with the face shield.
MrsLatch

Post by MrsLatch »

that helmet makes you look like a power ranger
Latch

Post by Latch »

more like an air force pilot
oruacat2

Post by oruacat2 »

It reminds me of the old Speed Racer cartoon.