How to derestrict your scooter

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RichieB

How to derestrict your scooter

Post by RichieB »

I have just come across this video by Genuine, walking you through derestricting your scooter. I removed the exhaust restriction last summer, and got about 10 more mph. I can't wait to get my hands on an impact wrench and take the restricter off the variator!! http://vimeo.com/2575002
Last edited by RichieB on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nabby

Thanks!

Post by Nabby »

Great video link. Thanks for sharing!

Nabby
SgtMcG

Re: How to derestrict your scooter

Post by SgtMcG »

RichieB wrote:I removed the exhaust restriction last summer, and got about 10 more mph.
I can't see the video where I'm at (damn gov't networks...).

Sorry if these are dumb questions: How did you remove the exhaust restriction... swap the stock exhaust for a custom one? Or is there a way to derestrict it but keep the stock exhaust.

Oh, also, what's your top speed now? Thanks!
RichieB

Post by RichieB »

You remove the exhaust, from where it meets the scooter(underneath). Just drop it down far enough to remove the restrictor.

It's like a metal gasket, that funnels the air flow. There should also be a metal gasket too. It will be easy to see the diffence in the two. Leave the gasket and take out the restrictor. Then re-attatch the exhaust.

In the video it says to add a gasket, but I was fine with the one left. Just check to see if you are losing any air pressure from there once you're done.

My blackcat went 30mph with this restrictor in, and 40 with it out. I'm not a little guy(6'2" and 260lbs).

Good luck!! Let me know how it works for you.
SgtMcG

Post by SgtMcG »

Thanks for the info...

Is it the same procedure w/ the Rattler buck-ten? That's what I'm getting when I get home from Afghanistan.
RichieB

Post by RichieB »

I'm not sure. This was to deresrict any of the genuine 50cc models.

But it wouldn't hurt to look. If there is a restrictor there, take it out. It will definatley make a diffence.
laxer

Post by laxer »

The Rattler's not restricted, but you might think of modding it out! :D
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

new to the board. Great find just what I was looking for on the 50.
scarabeo

Post by scarabeo »

I just de-ristricted my daughters Buddy 50 which I bought from Jonlink from this forum...
One note that I will pass on is in the video the restricter washer looked metallic like those gold colored nuts and bolts you see sometimes...the washer in my Buddy was some kind of plastic piece. Anyways...just like the video, it was pretty simple...just make sure you have the lugged washer which lets you use the kick starter, engaged with the splines before you hand tighten the variator nut...I didn't have it engaged the first time and it started slipping when I started the scooter...I took it apart again and saw the lugged washer was not seated onto the splines....made sure this time, tightened it all up and moved on to the pipe restricter cone. That went like a breeze...except I couldn't get a socket over one of the nuts because the bent pipe was in the way slightly...a 10mm open end fixed that.
Next was the test ride....wow, what a difference! Went blasting up a hill up to 35 and it gets there quickly! On the flat 45 was reached very easily...even with my 275 pound butt on it! I'll wager it'll do 55+ on a long downhill now...we'lll see...thanks for the video!
jono88

Post by jono88 »

So I just watched the video on derestricting my roughhouse. Couple questions:

1. Where can I buy an exhaust gasket after removing the restricted one? Size?

2. Will any rejetting have to be done?

3. When removing the variator can I use an manual socket wrench or do I need an the electric one as shown in the video?

I'm not much of a mechanic, but it looks pretty easy on the video and my dealer won't do it for me as it voids the warranty. Also if anything were to happen could I just re-restrict it before I take it into the dealer?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

jono88 wrote:So I just watched the video on derestricting my roughhouse. Couple questions:

1. Where can I buy an exhaust gasket after removing the restricted one? Size?

2. Will any rejetting have to be done?

3. When removing the variator can I use an manual socket wrench or do I need an the electric one as shown in the video?

I'm not much of a mechanic, but it looks pretty easy on the video and my dealer won't do it for me as it voids the warranty. Also if anything were to happen could I just re-restrict it before I take it into the dealer?
Derestricting your scooter will not void your warranty. It's restricted because in some states you are allowed you to ride a restricted 50cc scooter without a motorcycle licence. If you get it derestricted, you are required to have whatever your state requires for a motorcycle (licence, registration, insurance). The dealer should have asked you if you wanted derestricted when you bought it.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

When doing the derestricting to my 2013 RH50, I did not find a gasket. The restricting washer was a very thin conicular piece, but no other gasket was found. Any ideas on that?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

You need to have #5. You remove #27.

spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

That's what I was saying... #5 was not there. I pulled it apart twice and still nothing.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Then get one. You need to have the gasket there. It's a dollar part.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Found the gasket, it was located wedged in the exhaust pipe... but it's not tall enough, so I gotta replace it anyway. Still leaks.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

So this crimp type gasket will definitely need to be replaced when doing a derestriction on the exhaust. The gasket has been crushed down further than the normal clearance by approximately 1mm. So without replacing the gasket, expect leaks to develop sooner or later.
jwelcker

Post by jwelcker »

spr0k3t wrote:So this crimp type gasket will definitely need to be replaced when doing a derestriction on the exhaust. The gasket has been crushed down further than the normal clearance by approximately 1mm. So without replacing the gasket, expect leaks to develop sooner or later.
What size/type of gasket did you replace it with?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

The exact same gasket as the stock gasket. It is a crush/crimp gasket so you should replace it with the same.
jwelcker

Post by jwelcker »

Ah, I see. It's just that the space taken by the restrictor plate crushes the existing one and makes the stock gasket less useful?

thanks for your reply
icarus

Exhaust De-Restricted

Post by icarus »

I just removed the exhaust restriction from RH50 and I've got a few comments and one question.

First, WOW what a difference. The acceleration is much better, I finally feel like I can get out of someones way now. I believe it makes the scooter much safer.

Second, I'm hoping the wet fart sounding leak does go away. I've replaced the old gasket with a new one.

Question, I about ready to tackle the variator, but I don't have an impact wrench. For those of you who have done it with out one, how did you do it? Please be specific, I'd really like to get that ring out, but I don't want to chip the fins on the variator or strip the nut.

Thanks
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

What I have used in the past is a strap wrench and a breaker bar. It took two of us to do it and it was still a pain. Another way to do it is to use a dead bolt in place of the spark plug (harder to find). You have to be careful with the dead bolt though, it can mar the cylinder head. Your best bet is to just fork over the money for a cheap impact wrench... you will be happy you did.

As for the exhaust, check to make sure it is seated correctly. You want to make sure the exhaust is hanging with the side bolts before tightening down the header.
Steve842

Post by Steve842 »

Hi guys, new roughhouse owner here. I checked my scooter this afternoon to see if already derestricted (and it was) but there is no gasket in there. I went everywhere locally today to try and find one but no luck. Anyone know, will the ones on eBay work?

Such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-50cc-Scoote ... d1&vxp=mtr
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Steve, this thread is pretty old and the last post was from 2012. I'd suggest starting a new thread and letting this one die a nice peaceful death. :)

Also to answer your question Scooterworks.com should have them...here is a list of the parts from Genuine, the exhaust gasket is on page 23 near the bottom.

http://www.blackbeardpowersports.com/Ge ... k_Peak.pdf
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight