About to Buy Rattler 110

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AlanJames

About to Buy Rattler 110

Post by AlanJames »

About to buy the 2009 Rattler 110. I called around town, here in Atlanta GA, and found one dealer would sell to me out the door at $3,100. This is with the 9-months same as cash option, as well as all the free accessory upgrades in the promotion Genuine is running. Think this is a good deal? or should i go with the 3,300$ with the first service thrown in for free?

I've got a few questions that I'm still confused on. Most importantly is the breaking-in of the new machine. This is my first scooter, first new engine ever- so i get conflicting reports on what to do. Some people tell me to drive it like I stole it from the moment i get on it. Which sounds great, dangerous for me, but do-able as I will set up cones in a large vacant lot and drive the hell around them. Others say to baby it, keep it under certain rpm's for a set amount of miles and theres this whole breaking-in time. This I'm not fond of, will not be as fun.

Which is best to break her in?
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

by far do i know it all and some my and will disagree with this post... that being said:

i own a 09 rattler that has 5500+ miles on its 2nd engine... first was dealer prep with "PRE-MIX" oil only,,, engine lasted about 1000miles...

2nd engine i started out with Klotz KL300 oil,,, and at about 3000 miles switched to Royal Purple 2Cycle TCWIII and will stick with it for at least this bike... best to stick with the same oil... good oil is one of the key to longlife of a 2t with no crank oil...

runin i feel is best done in cool weather so your a step up getting this time of year...

DO NOT run WOT "wide open throttle" untill at around 500miles,,, come close to WOT (about 50mph) but dont do it... and dont run it at a constant speed,,, let it go up RPM's and back off and let RPM's go down dont just hold it constant at any speed... when you notice the engine starting to run smoother and a new 2t engine will run ruff somewhat and need airmixture tuning as runin goes... sometime and in most cases with the Buckten from mine as well as other your going to need to rejet and get some better airflow with the filter... some mod the stock boxs others add aftermarket filters... regardless theres alot MORE to the 11o than comes out the crate its not that much in cost ether...

from time to time use the kickstart to get a feel of how the engines compression and airmixture is... norm should be no more than 3 kicks on a warm engine... hot 1 to 2 kicks,,, cold 3 to 5 kicks...

when you first get it run it till it gets heated up to opration temp. i would say 10 to 15 miles,,, then let it cool down for 15 20 mins... at this time check everything the rattler has alot of viberation,,, check air in the tires,,, it is normal for the 2t to smoke a little when you start it up cold,,, if it does not you might want to check the oil pump to make sure its pumping oil,,, theres been a few reports of the pump failing not that yours is going too... start it up again after cold and run it this time a little longer and a little faster at times... run it for a good 20-30 mins 20-30 miles and let cool down again... in my view cool down is what really seat's the rings in these big weedwacker engines... but after a few hundred miles cool down can be shorten... Remember it is an aircool engine and it is important to allow the entire bike to cool as well,,, but as runin goes the more miles the less cooldown completely is needed.. Again the rattler has alot to open up too as time goes by and airmixture has found its sweet spot with your help or your dealer...

look through the forums here and at www.genuinerattler.com for other information... Welcome !!! dont be afraid to ask,,, and yes after runin is done you can RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLD IT,,, and as if every one is trying to hit you... I ride the hell out of mine and love it...

again this is my view and may be overlooked....
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
AlanJames

Post by AlanJames »

Yeah, i read all about your ordeal with the Rat-a-tat-tat. Its good to see that your still sticking by it, makes me feel better about the purchase.

Its a 17mile trip home from the dealer, so I'll let it cool like you said. And i'll focus on varying the RPM's and staying away from WOT. Cool-down, then up and out again for another 20 miles.

So, after needing a new engine, Genuine still stood by on the warranty? How much has the scheduled maintenance fees been?
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Genuine itself went beyond the norm to make me the customer have a proper working bike... The dealer was the problem and im sure all involed learned something...Once Genuine learned of the pussyfooting of the dealer I had a new engine and my bike within a week...

The roadside service had me my daughter and bike home in no time after the call...

I as well as Genuine had picked a dealer that knew little about scooters... It cost us both but in the end i am at least sold on Genuine as a Company... Would i buy another Genuine product??? In a heartbeat... Does Genuine have something i would buy??? Not at this time... Us "SportScooter Peeps" can only hope and have faith in the future...

If Genuine keeps up the good work its just the begining for them...

As far as scheduled maintenance there is very little to the 2t 110,,, i change my plugs about every 500 miles (there only $1.99) iv changed my gearoil 3 times ( 1/4 cup each time) less than $4.00... the biggest problem is proper airmixture,,, with mine and others here at Modern Buddy... and a good tech should know how to handle this problem...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Don't let MR scare you off (& I know that's not his intention); the bike is reasonably well made. The mod bug will probably bite soon after you get it home, though.

I recommend switching to a good full synth oil by 500 miles, & no later than 1,000 miles. Siphon out the dino oil when you make the switch. I like Bel-Ray Si-7 personally.

Enjoy the bike.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Everyone one here has there own opinions on break in. I'll tell you what i do and you can pick and choose from all these posts what you want to do.

Vary the throttle for the 1st tank of gas, almost to wide open, never hold it in the same spot for to long. 2nd tank of gas, RUN IT. I waited till the 1st tank of dealer oil was gone then filled it with Amsoil Interceptor.

At some point after a couple 100 miles it's going to run like shit and not be able to idle. the carb needs to be re-adjusted, happens to everyone, the air/fuel screw likes to move about that time.

The 1st dealer service is not worth $200, not much to do beside change the transmission fluid (easy) What were they tossing in for free?

If i were you, I would look for a used one and save $1000
AlanJames

Post by AlanJames »

Awesome.

I would buy used if I could find one.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Used Genuine = no warranty, so don't pay extra thinking it will transfer.
That said, I bought used & was glad I did.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I bought mine with a 100 miles on it for a steal. I had no warranty. I have ridden it WOT almost since I first bought it 1.5 years ago.

I have never done any maintenance on it (I would take it in, but no one I can find will work on 2 strokes around here). I am just posting this to those that may wonder what would happen if you did that and the answer is nothing so far. I had to replace my battery, but that is it. Even then I could kick start it and get it running, that was just aggravating.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I ran an entire season on a battery that won't hold a charge