I must go faster

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

How do you think I should GO FASTER?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Make the Rattler faster somehow (and here's how!)
33%
Cannibalize the Buddy!
13%
Buy a different scooter!
53%

Total votes: 15

Scalpel

I must go faster

Post by Scalpel »

After struggling to keep up on a recent scooter rally, I have decided that I must go faster. I am currently riding a fairly stock Rattler. The only mods are a Unifilter with bigger jet, and a set of Dr. Pulley sliders. I have brainstormed three possibilities for going faster:
  1. Figure out some heretofore overlooked method of boosting the power and top speed of the Rattler's engine. If you vote for this option, please also post a description of how to make the Rattler engine faster.
  2. I have access to a wrecked Buddy scooter, and have thought about taking the entire back end off of it, equipping it with the 161cc BBK, and attaching the entire engine, transmission and wheel assembly onto the Rattler (with a fabricated mounting bracket, of course). This would effectively make it a 4 stroke, 161cc Rattler.
  3. Just sell the Rattler and get a new scooter, maybe a Blur or Blackjack or something.
I really like the Rattler, but I'm miserable trying to keep up with the faster Buddies and Vespas on some rallies. Help me figure out how I can go faster.
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
Scootinbow

Post by Scootinbow »

One of the best bang for your bucks will be a exhuast it will accel fast and you will can some rpm's up top and a high top speed.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

^if you owner a rattler, you'd know that's not enough. Just one piece of the puzzle. And the pipe available, nobody wants.

Scalpel, I totally get where your coming from. And I am fighting the urge to pick number 3. seems like a couple of guys have had a bit of success trying different things to give the rattler more punch. I read and look into every claim made both here and on genuinerattler. Unfortunately for me I don't have the money right know to just try stuff out. So I sit waiting for the support and aftermarket parts to be developed. No such luck. Not sure where to go from here. Get a second scoot? Sell this one? I'm stumped at the moment.

I do know the buddy motor would be fun. But the rear tire would be smaller. Not sure what you could do for a wheel to match the rattler front.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
laxer

Post by laxer »

You could go with the bigger carb. There's the intake that's only like 20 bucks and a 26mm that under 100 dollars. Or go for the bolt-on 21mm carb from provoscooter for about the same price. I've heard good things about both.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'd actually thought about swapping in a GY6 engine to obtain a higher top speed, but I'm heading in a different direction. I'm considering stripping all plastics off and building a (sort of) Lambretta D-series re-pop. Shouldn't be too hard to do...sure, the cylinder head is laying down instead of standing up, but I think I can pull it off...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

i have a ton of stuff and still want more for mine
i can hit 65
its an addiction i think
see,what we got here is failure to communicate.
some men ya just cant reach...

ratt 110with 123 bbk,v8,24mm stg6 flatslide ,bopper tires,pinasco reedsmalossi variator,hit clutch,rrgs clutch bell, bla bla bla
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

It's funny that the #1 suggestion is to dump the Rattler entirely. :( However, I also saw some interest in just upgrading the Rattler, although without a big bore kit I know that's a tough road...

Currently I can hit 50mph (indicated) with the UNI filter and the up-jetting. What sort of performance increase in top end speed could I expect with the following mods?
  • new variator (Dr. Pulley or Malossi)
  • performance clutch
  • new pipe (V8? Prima? neither?)
  • bracket to push engine back a couple inches to make room for...
  • bigger intake
  • bigger carb
How far could that push my top speed? And yes, I'd be up for doing the whole list if it would get me the top speed I need. If I could hit 60mph and hold that speed on moderate hills or light headwinds, I would be a happy camper.
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Scalpel wrote:
Currently I can hit 50mph (indicated) with the UNI filter and the up-jetting.
Your best performance mod might be returning it to stock. That should give you an easy 5mph increase.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Ray Knobs wrote:
Scalpel wrote:
Currently I can hit 50mph (indicated) with the UNI filter and the up-jetting.
Your best performance mod might be returning it to stock. That should give you an easy 5mph increase.
Are you suggesting that the UNI filter actually cuts top speed? Because I've had the opposite experience; it seemed to really help maintain power at the higher RPMs.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just puzzled because the UNI is one of the top mods most people suggest for stock Rattlers.
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

of all the mods on mine so far the 26 carb was the best imo
for top end speed
second would be the v8 pipe although the pipe sacrafices bottom end it works great with the carb mid to upper rpm

malossi variator no more speed
hit clutch no more speed
had to get the intake to fit the carb

uni filter way better than k/n-i had to jet down 2 sizes with k/n on it

ratt 110with 123 bbk,v8,24mm stg6 flatslide ,bopper tires,pinasco reedsmalossi variator,hit clutch,rrgs clutch bell, bla bla bla
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Scalpel wrote:
Ray Knobs wrote: Are you suggesting that the UNI filter actually cuts top speed? Because I've had the opposite experience; it seemed to really help maintain power at the higher RPMs
I don't know what to tell you. My bone stock rat is faster than your modified one. I am no small guy either.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

dynarex wrote:of all the mods on mine so far the 26 carb was the best imo for top end speed
second would be the v8 pipe although the pipe sacrafices bottom end it works great with the carb mid to upper rpm
How much extra top end do you think the carb and pipe would buy me? Ideally I'd like to hit 60 and be able to hold it on slight hills.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I just hit 58 on the way back from lunch. That's a new personal record.
I was on the expressway with my head tucked.

A prima pipe won't buy you any top end, i can tell you that for sure.

bigger carb + bigger intake + v8 pipe and then regear
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

Scalpel wrote:
dynarex wrote:of all the mods on mine so far the 26 carb was the best imo for top end speed
How much extra top end do you think the carb and pipe would buy me? Ideally I'd like to hit 60 and be able to hold it on slight hills.
i can hold 60-65 up almost any hill-speedo will read 70 but thats at 85-8700 rpm and i like to keep it under 8000,so gears are a definate necessity right now for me
id do the carb and pipe and clutch it as necessary
if you want top sppeed dont put a prima pipe on it

Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Scalpel, are you sure you don't mean you can do an easy 50 actual mph and not indicated? I have a bone stock Rat and it will easily do an indicated 55, actual bout 50, on good days with the right wind 60 isn't that hard either?
My vote is get another scoot and keep the Rat so you have the time and ability to mod it for what you need.
That's what i'm planning on doin, have one for everyday use and one to mod and play with? I'll call it the JasonDavis scooter modding plan cause it seems to be workin for him.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

dynarex wrote: ...i can hold 60-65 up almost any hill...
As in FL hill, or PNW hill? :wink:
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

yeh yeh yeh its a florida hill :) :)
but the bridges have a pretty steep entrance and the headwinds are pretty bad although prob not as bad as a "real"hill