mysterious cannister

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kneil67@yahoo.com

mysterious cannister

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

im the third owner im assuming that the cut hose from carb attatches to canister advantages disadvantages any help with why and how plus the spark plug is a bear to get out looks like ya have to remove the floor board
Attachments
2010_0902miscforreview0003.JPG
2010_0902miscforreview0003.JPG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Much easier with the floorboard off. Which means the surrounding panels come off first, then the floorboard. Probably less work to unbolt the motor at the end of the day.
The canister is a vapor canister, for the emissions recovery system. Usually the culprit of "leaking gas" after someone overfills their tank.
EZPZ #65
kneil67@yahoo.com

nissanman wrote:Much easier with the floorboard off. Which means the surrounding panels come off first, then the floorboard. Probably less work to unbolt the motor at the end of the day.
The canister is a vapor canister, for the emissions recovery system. Usually the culprit of "leaking gas" after someone overfills their tank.
so the hose attatches to this? or is the hose another mystery? thanks for the tips on the floorboard

thanks for all the help everybody
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

There is a little sticker under the seat that shows the emission system diagram in case yo want to connect it up, mines not
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

The spark plug is really easy to swap out from underneath without removing anything once you get the hang of it - I've been pulling mine out almost every day lately (aside from right now, being stuck waiting on parts).

The tool will slide in easy, you just have to get the angle right to lock it onto the plug (slide it over sideways then match it up to the bolt) - the angle is not perfectly horizontal or what you (or I, at least) think makes sense, it's a bit off. Once you loosen the plug a couple half turns with the tool you should be able to do it the rest of the way with just your fingers. Helps to hold the dangling cable off to the side with your other hand.

It's also significantly easier to remove the plug when it's cool, I've found.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
kneil67@yahoo.com

trackpete wrote:The spark plug is really easy to swap out from underneath without removing anything once you get the hang of it - I've been pulling mine out almost every day lately (aside from right now, being stuck waiting on parts).

The tool will slide in easy, you just have to get the angle right to lock it onto the plug (slide it over sideways then match it up to the bolt) - the angle is not perfectly horizontal or what you (or I, at least) think makes sense, it's a bit off. Once you loosen the plug a couple half turns with the tool you should be able to do it the rest of the way with just your fingers. Helps to hold the dangling cable off to the side with your other hand.

It's also significantly easier to remove the plug when it's cool, I've found.
i ended up taking the floorboard off got it done plug was pretty scaly
kneil67@yahoo.com

still trying to duplicate trackpete's meathod what type of wrench you using the stock tool kit or somthing else?
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

use the stock tool-its short enough
also put bike on kickstandnot the centerstand and access spark plug from the right side
you have to kinda slide the wrench over the plug at an angle to get it on-but once you get it its easy
see,what we got here is failure to communicate.
some men ya just cant reach...

ratt 110with 123 bbk,v8,24mm stg6 flatslide ,bopper tires,pinasco reedsmalossi variator,hit clutch,rrgs clutch bell, bla bla bla
kneil67@yahoo.com

dynarex wrote:use the stock tool-its short enough
also put bike on kickstandnot the centerstand and access spark plug from the right side
you have to kinda slide the wrench over the plug at an angle to get it on-but once you get it its easy
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Yep, that's the technique I use except I do put it on the centerstand. The trick is sliding the tool over the plug at an angle then straightening out, then turning it just a bit at a time until it's loose enough to finger loosen it the rest of the way.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

trackpete wrote:Yep, that's the technique I use except I do put it on the centerstand. The trick is sliding the tool over the plug at an angle then straightening out, then turning it just a bit at a time until it's loose enough to finger loosen it the rest of the way.
I kinda do the same thing. But mine didn't come with a tool. I reach up with the socket and get it on the plug, then reach up with my ratchet and get it into place. Loosen just enough to remove the ratchet and finish by hand. Its a small ratchet but its total laziness that has me busting knuckles over just removing any additional parts.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR