engine question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

engine question

Post by birdmove »

I've owned maybe 5-6 two stroke motorcycles years ago-all were dual sports. In those days "decarbonizing" was kind of like part of the basic maintenance of riding a two stroke. Removing the cylinder head and cylinder and cleaning carbon deposits from these parts and the top of the piston. The job was pretty straight forward. Replacing the piston and/or piston riongs was an easy job.

How difficult would replacing the piston be on the Rattler? I ask because a scooter engine is quite a different setup than a motorcycle engine as far as access etc. I realize that decarbonizing may not be needed any more with better injection oils available, but I'm still betting that piston and ring life won't be as long on a two stroke as one a four.

Thanks, jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I believe on the Rattler it's just a couple bolts and you can swing the entire assembly down. An experienced mechanic can do a top end rebuild in an hour or so, it's not too bad.

My Rat definitely had issues with carbon buildup, so bad at one point that chunks were coming off and impacting my plugs. I know it's cheesy and annoying how much people say it, but I started putting in a little bit of sea foam every once in awhile and it seemed to have a major impact, no more buildup problems (but this wasn't scientific since I was traveling all over and may have just gotten some really bad gas and chainsaw oil at the start of the trip).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

seafoam is liquid gold. In restoring a 68 granturismo that had not been fired in thirty years, before starting anything i basically hit all moving parts and fuel sys components with deep creep (seafoam's aerosol big brother) the bike fired instantly and the teardown was sooooooooo much smoother.
I fix bike bikes for a living and the fact that it is a Cheap solution, especially to the alternatives in most cases, makes me love the shtuff to death. and for any skeptics, when i tear down engines i can tell who uses it and who does not.