fuel treatment to fix stuck float?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddy

fuel treatment to fix stuck float?

Post by buddy »

Is there a good fuel treatment for a 2 stroke? I cleaned out the carb my new rattler 110, but I didn't think to disassemble the float valve and clean it out. Now, I can tell the float is not refilling fast enough. It feels like it empties the float bowl then bogs down. Wait a few seconds with the throttle up and then throttle down again and it surges with power.

Is there a good fuel additive that you think might clean that float valve out without having to take the carb back out???? Please tell me what I want to hear.
:P

Thanks in advance, Scott
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Seafoam & Techron will both work. It's possible the issue is with the fuel valve or vacuum line, though. Good idea to check them also.
guam_rattler

Post by guam_rattler »

yeah check you lines....on mine am running it direct from the gas tank to the carb, reason is bigger carb and also that piece under the tank clogs really fast....so i just got a gasoline rated hose from there it goes into the fuel filter then carb....hope this help...

vince
buddy

Post by buddy »

Thank you. I'll check the vacuum lines. I bought seafoam last night, so I'll pull that in there too. If it still has problems, I'll put the carb back out and do a more thorough cleaning on it.

Scott

fixed typos on edit
buddy

Post by buddy »

I cleaned out the float valve in the carb and also added sea foam. I only ran it for ten minutes or so, but the problem did not go away.

The next thing I'll do is replace the fuel filter. It looks pretty dirty. Hope that works.
Amahoser

Post by Amahoser »

If your analysis is correct, maybe your float level is off.... but more likely, the low speed mixture is out of adjustment. Seems that the adjustment screw (at least on my rattler)... well... rattles loose. The adjustment screw is the brass flathead screw on the side of the carb. You can barely see it if it is installed and you cannot adjust it without removing the underseat storage container. you can drill a hole in the storage container to make adjustments without tearing your bike apart.

Jose Soriano
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Drill the hole. On my 110 I need to make that adjustment with the extreme temperature changes too. 40's in the spring and fall, 90's in the summer. They both need a different adjustment. Taking the bucket out all the time got to be more than annoying.
EZPZ #65
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

If you simply get a properly sized screwdriver then there's no need to drill a hole or remove the seat. Just sayin'.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I'd need to get a set of smaller hands too :wink:
EZPZ #65
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

nissanman wrote:I'd need to get a set of smaller hands too :wink:
Nah, just a longer, thinner shaft! :shock:
buddy

finally fixed

Post by buddy »

My analysis was not correct, so I thought I'd post an update.

After cleaning the carb a couple of times, I had the same bogging down problem. A neighbor that has experience with 2T bikes thought the symptom was related to a reed valve problem. I removed the reed valve and it looked fine to me, but to be sure I took the reed valve to a scooter mechanic. He said it looked fine.

The only problem was that the gasket for the reed cage had a tear in it. Well I put blue gasket goopy stuff around the problem area as well as all around the gasket to be safe. Put it back together with a new spark plug and it runs great now.

So perhaps it was sucking air at the torn gasket? I do not know, but I'm certainly happy it's running now.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

:clap:
EZPZ #65
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Nice work. Intake and exhaust leaks will cause odd problems. Glad to see you got fixed.