Anyone with experience in parallel connecting batteries?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SuperCyclone.81

Anyone with experience in parallel connecting batteries?

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Looking to parallel 2 batteries on my rat in order to run a HID kit. Just wanted to see if anyone else has done anything like this? Headlights just desperately need some improving!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Start with a PIAA HS1. $40 and done. And much better than stock. If you're still wanting more... then open up the HID can of worms. The stock stator can't charge the battery and feed an HID ballast, it won't be able to feed two batteries either. I had my stator re-wound trying to get enough power to do it, it did not work :cry:
EZPZ #65
SuperCyclone.81

Ya I think that's the bulb that is in there at the moment. Not 100% because I bought it used but the bulb is a very very light tint of blue but shines white. There was a guy on another thread that has HIDs and doesn't run his during the day and he said he can run them a couple of hours at night and then charge the battery at the end of the week and it's good to go. Although this sounds a little rough on the battery, I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that commitment and have to charge the bat that often.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I sure as heck wasn't! If the PIAA is in there already, make sure it's aimed properly. Scooter are known for poor headlight aim. And yes, the HID rocked! But no, charging the battery after less than an hour of riding did not. That's why I removed it :(

If the voltage output could be stabilized more, LED headlights might show more promise :idea: and those will be out real soon...
EZPZ #65
SuperCyclone.81

Have you heard anymore news on the LED headlights?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Not yet... but the Audi is using them and so is the Leaf.
EZPZ #65
SuperCyclone.81

Ya I think the 2013 BMW 650i also has them. I just didn't know if you knew of any for our scoots
SuperCyclone.81

Hey Nissanman, I was just rereading this thread, do you still have that HID kit? And also would the above wear and tear on a battery dramatically decrease it's lifespan?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I returned the kit when I realized that it was too much work... Xtralights took it back, so I was happy about that! I tried everything reasonable to get it to work out. Re-wound stator, led bulbs everywhere but there just isn't enough juice for the ballast. The light is only 35W, but the ballast drew enough for 60W to give a constant feed. So it only needed 3A for the bulb, but drew 5A.
EZPZ #65
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:Hey Nissanman, I was just rereading this thread, do you still have that HID kit? And also would the above wear and tear on a battery dramatically decrease it's lifespan?
A starting battery shouldn't be used as a deep cycle battery. You would kill it within a year.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

And if you were to get a deep cycle that would fit the scoot you would also need to install an Automatic Battery Isolater to distribute the charge.

Isolator info
(pretty good read with diagrams)
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing