Top Speeds

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SuperCyclone.81

Top Speeds

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

My Rats only getting up to about 51 indicated. No clue if thats normal or even in the ball park. It has minor performance upgrades, sliders, exhaust, spark plug and ignition cable, kevlar belt, clutch and contra springs. Any ideas? How fast are you guess getting and what performance upgrades to you have? Thanks
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I get about 55-58 indicated on my Rattler 110. That comes out to about 50-53mph real world. Spent ALOT to get it back to stock after some idiot shop in California who shall remain nameless bubba'ed it trying to hot rod it. Aside from the performance clutch the bike is bone stock with a 155lb rider. Average commute is 70 miles/day round trip.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
SuperCyclone.81

Nice, how many miles does your have? The lighter sliders and the exhaust are taking of of the top end I'm assuming but I wouldn't have guessed it would take that much off. I live on campus here at the UofA so I'm mostly riding on campus <35mph, but I do enjoy just going on random rides where the higher top end would be nice.
cykoticnick

Post by cykoticnick »

With a Uni filter and 115 main jet with some homemade shims on the needle and everything else stock I was showing 61 indicated. I'm about 185+gear and a few tools under the seat. Any time I have decent straights I leave it wide open and see what happens. I have a feeling its your variator weights, maybe go a little heavier.FYI I'm around sea level to 500 ft.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I needed to get a little more top end, so I swapped in some heavier roller-weights. It really bogged down my bottom end, but I can cruise between 58-61 indicated.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

We get in the low to mid 50's here on our Rattler. Hope this helps.

Cheers
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
SuperCyclone.81

Thats awesome guys, what weight rollers/sliders are you guys running to get these speeds? I might just pick up a heavier set to see if I can get a couple mph more.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Out of curiosity, what other combustion mods have you done? Slightly heavier weights may be able to get you a better top end, but without the extra horse power it's going to be hard to accomplish. Ultimately, the final drive gears would need to be custom cut to achieve that extra top end.
SuperCyclone.81

Re: Top Speeds

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:My Rats only getting up to about 51 indicated. No clue if thats normal or even in the ball park. It has minor performance upgrades, sliders, exhaust, spark plug and ignition cable, kevlar belt, clutch and contra springs. Any ideas? How fast are you guess getting and what performance upgrades to you have? Thanks
Thats just about all of them there. And I wouldnt even begin to know where to start on custom cut gears...
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

all stock 110, 3000 miles, 220#'s, 55-58 indicated, still on original weights / belt
SuperCyclone.81

Awesome, do you have any idea what the orginal weights weigh?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Should be 11gr if Iremember correctly.
SuperCyclone.81

Really? Wow, well that should make a noticeable speed difference then haha. Thanks
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

OEM Rat rollers are 8.5g

The fastest my Rat ever went was 70MPH indicated, on a slight downgrade, with a tailwind...and that is not normal.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Thanks for the clarification. It must be the Buddy 125 I was thinking of.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I'm the original owner of an 09 all stock Rattler. Hit 62 on the speedo last night. It does 50-55 pretty easy. I'm somewhere over 180lbs.
SuperCyclone.81

Ya it sounds like I need to pick up a cheap roller set. Any ideas where I can get one? Thanks
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Get a set of Prima weights for tuning at Scooterworks. Once you have found the right tune, change out the rollers for sliders of the same weight. Put the stock ones back in while you wait for the others to arrive.
SuperCyclone.81

I like the tuning rollers to sliders idea. The only problem is I dont have the original weights. I bought the bike tuned and used so thats out but I dont have a problem riding with the ones that Ive got. Im just going to have a little bit further daily compute now that Ive moved off campus so I dont know if Im going to need to go a little bit faster...
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

That makes sense... get it tuned in for the top end you are wanting. If you have done a lot of performance work on it, you can go with the heavier weights easily. With a better pipe, upgraded carb, and a few other tidbits... you can easily go up 1 or 2 grams.
SuperCyclone.81

I can only wish I've done all of those mods haha. I'm trying to convince myself to upgrade to a bigger carb, but having to manually mix the gas all the time would get pretty old I think... I would absolutely love the performance gains though, I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds haha. Also, with the heavier weights, am I going to lose my wheelie power? Because that could possibly be a deal breaker...
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Heavier weights means the engine will not spin up as fast through the gearing of the CVT. If you were to go with a larger carb (24-27mm) you would still have that with the heavier weights. Granted, there are still things you can do to your clutch to keep it though. Just keep in mind, doing that can cause serious wear on the belt.
SuperCyclone.81

Ya Ive got clutch springs and a torque spring in it now. Ill probably be upgrading the clutch before I do anything else if I start messing with the variator weights.