just bought a Brand new 2012 Roughhouse 50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kkirby18

just bought a Brand new 2012 Roughhouse 50

Post by kkirby18 »

so i purchased the roughhouse a month ago and i have gone about 200 miles on it and its time for my first service.. but my question to you folks is does derestricting void the warranty on this scooter? also how would you go about derestricting it?

thanks!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

There is a restriction in the exhaust, and a spacer in the variator. Ask your shop how much extra to de-restrict during your 1st service (if you haven't taken a scooter apart recently). Not difficult, but super easy for a shop.
EZPZ #65
kkirby18

Post by kkirby18 »

cool do you know if derestricting will give me more power for going uphill?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Removing the restriction should help with power, the spacer will give you a higher top speed.

Then once you are more familir with your riding style, you can consider playing with the rollers to suit your weight and style too.

1 step at a time :D
EZPZ #65
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Welcome to the forums fellow Roughhouse rider. You sure picked one of the hardest rides to mod, but what's the fun in going the easy route.

Try not to be tempted to do anything more than just the derestricting. You don't want to lose out on the two year warranty, it will be hard not to want to tinker, but the wait will help you do a bunch of reading/researching that will hopefully pay off in the long run.

And as nissanman stated, let your shop derestrict with the first service, you will notice a marked improvement once its done. And as for the hills, it depends on the slope/grade of the incline.

Happy scootering and many miles to you :helmet: .
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
kkirby18

Post by kkirby18 »

i just found this video from genuine about halfway through it shows you how to derestrict does anyone know where i can get the new spacer for the exhaust it says to put a new one in after you take the other out

http://vimeo.com/2575002
kkirby18

Post by kkirby18 »

also when adding the oil is it possible to overfill the tank or can i fill it to the top?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

kkirby18 wrote:also when adding the oil is it possible to overfill the tank or can i fill it to the top?
the 2t oil? yep to the top. but a full tank will last around ten fillups. and i leave a little bottle under the seat for the 11th, to get me home. :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

+1 on the small extra bottle. Will keep that in mind next time I'm out shopping.

And yes it is very easy to overfill :oops: the oil reservoir (just wanted to see how full I could get it). Very messy to clean up, so try avoiding spilling any.

The "spacer" you are referring to is the gasket that goes in between the exhaust head and the muffler pipe. Sometimes they get damaged when removing the pipe and need to be replaced. Since your scoot is new this shouldn't pose a problem.

Just remember if you are going to do this yourself (as I suspect you are), do not over tighten the Acorn nuts that hold the muffler on. Sure fire way to snap off a stud, their replaceable but that's a PITA.
Use a little blue Loctite and hand tighten.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
kkirby18

Post by kkirby18 »

anyone know where i can order a standard exaust gasket?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Try this, it's for a BlackCat but that's an R50 spawn. And at .92¢ if it doesn't quite fit you can always use it as a general template to make your own.

scooterloungeonline
kkirby18

Post by kkirby18 »

thanks i already got it purchased :) anyways do you know if the buddy 50 and roughhouse 50 parts are interchangeable i find tons of stuff for the buddy but the roughhouse is lacking in the parts catagory...brake pads etc...
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Some things for the Buddy are interchangeable with the R50. Scooterworks has a good filter to get you parts for just your model, some of those listed will show if they are compatible with other models.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Congrats! the Roughhouse is a blast!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
DigDug

Post by DigDug »

My wife and I just purchased our first scooters as well, a pair of RoughHouse R50's. One red, one black. Having a super time!
Yorkiemom

derestrict

Post by Yorkiemom »

As far as my dealer is concerned, I don't know that a Buddy or Roughhouse leave his shop without first derestricting. You will see a tremendous boost in both power and speed without the restrictions. Top speed lists around 30 with the restrictions and I get to around 45mph without it. LOVE my Buddy 50! Congratulations...I pondered the Roughhouse when I purchased but decided on a more retro look...and the fact that I love orange didn't hurt. Have fun, ride safe!!!