Rattler 110 Stalling?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmryall

Rattler 110 Stalling?

Post by kmryall »

Hi All.
I have had my Rattler 110 for a few weeks now. I purchased it from my local scooter store, as a "new old stock" bike. It is a 2009, but had virtually no miles on it when I purchased it. All has been going well, except this week it seems to be idleing low, and stalling when I am at stop lights unless I continuously give it gas. It currently has 3/4 tank of new gas, and everything else seems to be working well. I am a new scooter owner, and don't really know anything about the mechanics, or how my scoot works. Any thoughts on anything I can try before taking back to the shop and missing out on this gorgeous weather we are having here in the midwest? Thanks in advance. K
:wink:
laxer

Post by laxer »

There is an idle adjustment screw under the pet carrier (that big trunk under the seat), it could just need a little adjustment. If you have time, you could just run it down to your local shop and have them show you.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

There is also the possibility of the dreaded "vapor-lock" issue. You my have one of the older style gas caps that came non-vented.

This is easy to check. Next time you are at a safe place to stop with the engine warmed up, and your problem happens, just take the gas cap off,count to 10, and put it back on. If the problem goes away its a vapor lock issue.

If this is the case then you can have the cap drilled (this will vent it). Your local shop can do this if you don't have the ability.
I am a new scooter owner, and don't really know anything about the mechanics...
And seeing how you have chosen the best scooter forum on the net your knowledge and skills are about to expand. :D
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Well, the air/fuel issue has been mentioned... the dreaded "vapor-lock" has been mentioned... the only thing left would be your idle adjustment. There is a black thumbwheel on the carb, it will increase or decrease your engine's idle speed. But my gut says the air/fuel is #1 suspect, and since you have 3/4 of a tank the vapor lock issues doesn't seem applicable. Feel free to ask anything you want here, most helpful board I've ever been on is MB! :D
EZPZ #65
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

It is the air / fuel mixture screw, they typically start to loosen and come out when the machine breaks in. Mine did the exact same thing.

Turning up the idle only masks the problem.

If you do a search on here you will find where to locate and adjust it. It does involve taking the pet carrier out (easy). It;s a tiny little screw on the carb.

I put a dab of paint on the threads to stop it from coming loose.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I beleive the 09 will need the special "D" shaped screwdriver to adjust the ratio...
EZPZ #65
kmryall

Stalling Rattler....problem fixed (hopefully)

Post by kmryall »

First of all, a HUGE thank you to everybody who posted. This is a fantastic forum, and I am so thankful to everyone who took the time to put in their input. After a bit of tinkering, it appears to be the idle adjustment. I took it up to my local shop to have them take a quiick ride on her to make sure everything seemed ok, and they agreed. She is running miuch better, and did not stall at any point yesterday. Thanks again!

I did not receive an owner's manual with my bike...anybody know where I can get one? Somebody had posted a link on here...but it was old, and no longer worked. Thanks.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

It still might be the air/fuel ratio. If the bike is pulling too much at a stop (i.e. clutch enagaging at a stop) the ratio needs to be adjusted. Increasing the idle speed is just covering up the real issue, hopefully it is only the idle speed. However... experience tells most of us here it is not just idle speed :roll:
EZPZ #65
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

What Nissanman said ^
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing