Carrying Cargo on Rattler 110- Ideas Please?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmryall

Carrying Cargo on Rattler 110- Ideas Please?

Post by kmryall »

I am a Wine Salesperson living in a big city. When I bought my Rattler, I instantly fell in love with its personality, but failed to consider that during the warm months, I wanted to scoot about the metro area carrying 6-12 bottles of wine with me (a requisite of my job). I am now struggling to accomplish this on my Rattler. Really large topcases are just too large, but the small ones cannot support the type of weight that 6 or more bottles of wine require, and they aren't long enough to lay down a bottle of wine (12.5inches) or stand it up either. I am happy to hear all ideas and input. I am a bit nervous at this point that I might be forced back into my car.... :cry:
Thanks as always....K
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

There's a couple things you can do to resolve the problem. Start with a top case where you can fit at least four bottles. That's not going to be very big. You should be able to find universal saddle bags which each hold two or three bottles. From there that will get you holding at least eight, maybe ten. Now, there should be quite a bit of room left on the floorboard to hold at least four more, but it may take a bit of work to find the right bag. Because of your requirements, I would go with soft sided bags rather than hard case. So the rear top case... I would get a roll pack. Worst case if you can't find a good mount, then definitely pick up one of those bungee nets.

The only thing I would really worry about is breakage of the wine bottles. So some form of padded sleeving for each bottle would be ideal. Not to mention, what will the cops say when they see a scooter shooting down main reeking of hooch after a simple pothole scramble. :shock:
kmryall

Rattler Cargo Issues

Post by kmryall »

Thank so much for these ideas. It is proving a little difficult to find saddlebags that are tall enough (12.5 inches) and that will still fit. I am also a bit worried that with that weight on each side they will totally bang each time I hit a bump. The floor bag idea is a good one though....and I am going to see what I can rig with the existing hook already there, as well as utilizing one of those nets to hold the whole thing in place. The roll bags are good, but I don't like that you can't lock them, and I am in and out of accounts all day long. This might require a bit of "Macgyver-ing".....
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I have one of these

It is easily strong enough to hold the weight of a case of wine.
You might need to find a plastic milk crate or other box to strap onto it
kmryall

Rattler Cargo Carrying

Post by kmryall »

Yes...I have one of these.....still looking for a topcase or some sort of metal box that could be attached to this rack.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Military surplus ammo box... :idea:
EZPZ #65
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

kmryall

Rattler Cargo

Post by kmryall »

Ok...
You folks are really darn creative. I love it.
The milk crate is a last resort....especially since that back rack on the Rattler is so darn tiny.I have a milk crate, but the overhang is pretty large, and I do worry about the weight. I like the rolling bag idea (i have quite a few soft sided bags similar to this)....but again...how does one "strap that down" keeping in mind that 6 btls of wine weigh almost 10 pounds?

I am leaning towards a set of saddlebags that could each carry 3, and then just using my existing wine bag on the floor. It is not perfect...but it might work if I can just find some saddlebags that fit.....