The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dannyrich

Spark plug location roughhouse

Post by dannyrich »

the subject says it all...where is the spark plug located on the roughhouse r50
robby

Post by robby »

For lack of a better picture, it's facing the rear on the underside/back of the scooter, horizontally centered and it looks like this:

The plug is on the end of that long black wire and it pulls out. I can snap a better photo if you need.
Boston

Post by Boston »

Is it easy to change? Can someone simply unplug it, put in a new one, and plug it back in by hand, or are special tools needed and/or is it something better for a shop to do?

Also, what is the best spark plug to order? I have heard IGK but not sure, and is it 'plug and play' or gapping needed?

It might be a sticky, but if anyone has insight or instructions on the swap that would be great.

I just bought my roughhouse and it is great; but it has just over 2000 miles and I do not know if the spark plug has ever been changed so I thought I would 'piggy back' on the OP's question. Thanks!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Plugs are dead easy to change. If you have the spark tool that came with the RH50 its a 2 minute job, if not just a bit longer. This is the replacement spark plug and this is a cross reference for spark plugs.

And its NGK not IGK. Plugs come pre-gaped, but if unsure use a gap tool to be safe, gap of spark plug:0.6~0.7mm.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
dannyrich

Post by dannyrich »

robby wrote:For lack of a better picture, it's facing the rear on the underside/back of the scooter, horizontally centered and it looks like this:

The plug is on the end of that long black wire and it pulls out. I can snap a better photo if you need.
Got a better picture? I can't really tell where that is on the bike? It looks like a part in the back left. Do I have to take anything about to reach the spark plug and replace it?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Stop by any local scooter or bike shop. They should have the plug in stock.

Under the front of the engine look "under" the foot board of the bike, down thru the access panel. follow the wire
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

dannyrich wrote:...Got a better picture? ...
That's a pretty good pic. I suggest you let a shop handle it.
Last edited by B02S4 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennfine

Post by bennfine »

Did you ever find the location? I'm looking too. I think its under the oil reservoir and only accessible from being on the ground and looking under the roughhouse. I don't know if one has to pull the connector off or what though.

dannyrich wrote:
robby wrote:For lack of a better picture, it's facing the rear on the underside/back of the scooter, horizontally centered and it looks like this:

Got a better picture? I can't really tell where that is on the bike? It looks like a part in the back left. Do I have to take anything about to reach the spark plug and replace it?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

BO2S4 +1 :shock:

It's all part of learning. You could see if any local scooter clubs have a "maintenence" day or something and have a more experienced mechanic show you around your scooter. Remember, none of us were born knowing this stuff :D
EZPZ #65
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Don't try and change the plug when the engine is hot. #1 it's hot #2 you run the risk of striping the threads... which is bad.

You need the special tool that came with the scoot to change it. It will take a minute to figure out how to get the special tool in the sparkplug hole. The area is tight.

When you install the plug get it on as far as you can by hand. Don't use the tool until it's finger tight or you run the risk of stripping the threads in the head... which is bad.

Often times you can just clean the plug and put it back in, but for a buck or two you may as well replace it. The manual says, "Clean it once per 2,000 miles or change a new one."... so yeah. Change a new one. :roll:
dannyrich

Post by dannyrich »

[quote="bennfine"]Did you ever find the location? I'm looking too. I think its under the oil reservoir and only accessible from being on the ground and looking under the roughhouse. I don't know if one has to pull the connector off or what though.

Sorry for the late response buy yea i found it. Thanks