upper cylinder rebuild

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

agrogod

upper cylinder rebuild

Post by agrogod »

Well I finally got a good weekend here in PA with no rain and above 40 temps. so I was finally able to do my rebuild. Got all the parts together and started my tear down, it went better than expected with no real problems.

Last year had noticed at the end of 2012 the power was dropping off at various times during riding. Having worked for a landscaping company at one time, and dealing with 2 stroke equipment, when the power dropped off with the equipment we would re-ring the misbehaving offenders and all would be well with the world. So I felt the culprit to my power issue was probably in the cylinder. I purchased the Prima kit because I wanted to go with the cast iron cylinder and it had everything that I was looking for, including an affordable price. Here are some pics of the rebuild.
Attachments
Almost done
Almost done
100_0069.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Getting things in place
Getting things in place
100_0071.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Tear down
Tear down
100_0072.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
After paint
After paint
100_0067.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Before paint
Before paint
100_0064.jpg (81.53 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
The kit out of the box
The kit out of the box
100_0063.jpg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

More
Attachments
The old cylinder
The old cylinder
100_0068.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
In place and putting it back together
In place and putting it back together
100_0074.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

How many miles did you get before the rebuild? Have you started it up yet? Make sure you break it in to seat the rings properly. No synthetic oil during break in.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I had 1600 miles on it, and as stated it was giving not so great performance. After I got the old piston out and took a good look at it found that it had warped (pics will be coming).
Also was disappointed with the old cylinder and piston overall, they felt thin and flimsy compared to the replacement. And just to clarify, the replacement was not a high compression cylinder.

And yes it has been started and ridden, nice smooth sound like when it was new, with good acceleration. Only thing left to do is the rollers, just had enough rolling around on the concrete for 1 day. I'm still feeling it as I type this out, makes me wish I was a younger man. :(
Last edited by agrogod on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

1,600? That doesn't seem right.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

yeah something is wrong with 1600 miles.
thats what you would expect from a cheap no name chinese scooter.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Here's the pics to prove it. You can see the carbon scoring down the sides where gasses were getting past the rings. And the definite warping around the top of the piston. No worries though. As I explained to my work friends, a $124 fix for the scoot as compared to $2000 for their car/truck for the same type of repair. Even if I had to replace the whole engine it would still have been relatively inexpensive. And now more knowledge and a repair with satisfactory results makes it a job well done. 8)
Attachments
Picture 7.jpg
Picture 7.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Picture 6.jpg
Picture 6.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Picture 5.jpg
Picture 5.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 4.jpg (11.84 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

This isn't a BBK?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Ooops. Meant to say that it wasn't a high compression cylinder. Thanks B02S4 for pointing that out. Edited post.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

One other thing that still bothers me about the rebuild. When I removed the old cylinder I was fully expecting to have to scrape off old gaskets or sealing material. There was absolutely none to be found. And there was leaking around where the cylinder mated up with the engine. Seems to me somebody was asleep on the job when they were supposed to be assembling.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

It's not out of the ordinary. Tight tolerances and properly torqued head bolts will eliminate the need for gaskets and sealants. High temps will cook most sealants anyway. Home mechanics love RTV, but it's not needed everywhere. I'm more impressed that nothing was used at the factory.
rentonhighlander

Post by rentonhighlander »

Something is not right. These bikes are designed to run much longer then 1600 between rebuilds. It's not like these are racing engines. My buddy (same engine) has over 3300 miles and that is not unique. There are people in the general forum who have well over 10k without any rebuilds.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

^ Agreed. My top end and crank were replaced at 7,500 and I've got a good 4-5k on this set up and still running strong... I guess your rig wasn't under warranty anymore?