Painting Frustration

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ender07

Painting Frustration

Post by ender07 »

So I have a light blue RH50 and wanted to paint it for quite awhile. I finally got around to getting everything all setup in my garage and sprayed it green with some Rustoleum Painter's Touche 2X spray for plastics and went to town a couple days ago.

I read up online alot about not spraying too much and to wait 15-20 minutes between the light coats then let it dry and harden for 48 hours then lightly scuff it with 1000 grit sandpaper to remove the dust/imperfections and finally add either another coat or two then gloss.

Well I went through everything and got around to the glossing step and that's where it all failed! I waited about 20 minutes between the last coat of paint and the first coat of gloss and got through painting all of my body panels before I realized that the light coat of gloss I just applied started to wrinkle and crack before my eyes.

ARGH!!! :cry: :evil:

I was really frustrated since this was a work in progress for about the past 5 days with all the prep work and painting and now I will have to wait until it dries 24 hours and then sand it back down and add more base coat again. I think this time through I am going to skip the gloss entirely because I was fine up until that point.

And I know it was probably the paint that hadn't dried enough under it, but damn it I am pissed everything was looking so good only to have this happen! Anyways, that's just my rant about painting with spray cans...I hope that round 2 is easier than this first time through.

Beyond that I am getting ready to add the Prima Pipe and rejet, then get the new clutch contra spring and rollers in there soon after. At least I have that to look forward too! :)
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

That's a bummer. You could be right though that you didn't wait long enough for the previous coat to dry. Strange that it wrinkled so much. Were you using lacquer? Or maybe the clear coat and the underlying layers weren't the same type of paint chemistry? Some paints don't get along with others.

I painted a few cars years ago and learned a lot along the way. And learning can be a pain.

Post pics when you get it done.

I should have my RH50 back from the dealer friday, with the stage 1 kit installed. Should be fun this weekend to see what difference it makes.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Got everything painted, I left out the footrests but those are the same color:

laxer

Post by laxer »

I used the Rustoleum matte finish on mine and it worked out nicely. I waited more than 20 mins between coats, though. Perfection takes patience and time (that said, I like the green you've got going there, it's a cool original look).
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Here some pics of everything put together and the stage 1 kit fully installed!

Image Image

Image Image

theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

wow, man that looks fantastic!
laxer

Post by laxer »

Don't make it angry, you won't like it when it's angry.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

I never named this scooter...I'm thinking that now since its my favorite color and I got it all tricked out I should officially name it something that would fit both the color and the fact that I'm a huge geek (I have a tattoo of a USB symbol so yeah...) if you guys can think up anything fun post it here cuz I need some more ideas!
mverps

Post by mverps »

:D looks really nice
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Thanks for the compliments! Here is my list of possible names so far:

The Incredible Hulk
The Green Machine
Kermit
Shrek
Slimer
Any of the teenage mutant ninja turtles names
El Guac
Yoda
Frogger
Luigi

Got any others?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Looks very cool. And another name:
"Go Green"
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!