Thoughts before I purchase RH50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

atx78702

Thoughts before I purchase RH50

Post by atx78702 »

Hi, everyone,

I am mulling over whether to buy an almost new RH50 and this board has been really helpful. I just wanted to get some feedback/thoughts.

1) It's a 2013 RH50, with less than 100 miles. The guy is selling it for about $1700. I rode it and it runs great. Is that a good price?

2) I live in Austin, which can be hilly in some areas. I will be using it primarily downtown and on surface roads. I am about 6'3" and weigh in around 190#. Are there any foreseeable issues with it having enough power to get me around without getting run over? It seems like the RH50 is the beast of the 50cc scooters. And when I rode it, it seemed to have to umph going up the one small incline I tested.

Any feedback is appreciated.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

I really like my RH50! I have a 2008 that had 3k miles on it or so on it when I bought it for $1000 which is normal for my area. I am 6'2'' 215 LBS and had a bit of trouble on some hills, but flat surfaces were perfectly fine. I ended up putting the Prima exhaust pipe on it and changed the gearing with different springs and roller weights, but if you are in a mostly flat area and/or the speed limit is around 25-35 MPH you should be fine.

They are definitely fun to ride, get good gas mileage and feel better when you have a taller frame because of the open foot area. Plus if you want to go on some trails, since they have knobby tires you have more traction than a buddy would.
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

$1700 for a RH50 with 100 miles on it is a very good buy. I paid $1700 for my 2012, new, a couple of months ago, (got $300 off list because it was a 2012 leftover in 2013) but also had to pay $300 additional for freight and dealer set-up. And that was a good price. So if the one you are looking at is in like-new condition it is a good value.

My son has a Ruckus and a Metropolitan, my wife has a Vespa LX50. There is no comparison between their scooters and mine on the flat. And I completely blow them away on hills. And, that was stock. I now have the stage 1 kit. My initial off-the-line performance is slower than stock, but then it just takes off.

I live in the pacific northwest; lots of hills. If I were to buy again I'd probably get the RH50, but may look at the Kymco Super 8 also.

The RH50 sits up a bit higher than some scoots. But with my dirt biking background I find it very comfortable and it handles well. I've done an 80 mile ride out in the country; the RH50 and I survived just fine. And I am about the same weight as you. The front fork is easy to bottom out on bumps, so you need to move your weight back on the seat if a bump threatens.

Very fun scooter for not much money, and a little different than most others out there. I have about 500 miles on mine now (since mid-March, in between northwest rainstorms) and I would recommend it.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

The price seems about right. I would definitely de-restict it if the previous owner did not do so already. I think the restricted RH tops out around 35ish? And one of the guys here at the local shop said he de-restricted his last week and he got it up to an indicated 50 mph flat ground. Just something to look into if you're wanting to go a little faster on the cheap.

But overall, great buy.
nickelpete

Post by nickelpete »

I bought a RH50 a few weeks ago. I even talked a buddy into getting one as well. It is a good buy. I GPS verified 48 mph and I weigh 190 lbs. on a flat surface.