Roughhouse won't start. Need it for work!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dannyrich

Roughhouse won't start. Need it for work!

Post by dannyrich »

For a week I didn't touch my 2012 Roughhouse because I needed a new tire and I was waiting for it in the mail. The tire finally arrives. Before I put the tire on I give the scooter a cleaning. Wiping off all the gunk on the underneath parts. I put the tire on and really excited to get out and ride again but the scooter won't start.

I figure its due for a new spark plug. Along with the spark plug I purchase Iso-heet because the week I didn't ride was extremely humid. Put the spark plug on, put half a bottle of iso-heet in and nothing.

There is something strange with the spark plug. When I screw it in all the way it's at an angle. There is not even spacing around the hole the plug is sticking out of. The cover that fits in the hole is not flush because the angle of the plug is forcing it to one side.

Another thing to maybe consider is I drive my scooter A LOT. I use it to deliver food. I purchased her in April 2012 with 3 miles she's now over 8000. I wonder if the constant driving everyday then not touching her for a week could cause problems I'm not aware of
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Are you talking about gas heet? The water expelling stuff? You don't need half a bottle that's too much. I'd drain the fuel and refill with fresh use a clean can. One week of storage is bad. When storing for less than a few months fill the tank up completely instead. Or fill with ethanol free fuel.

Take a picture of the plug. We need to see it.

Make sure you didn't disconnect something, the Cdi is down there under the floor.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

From your description the plug is probably cross threaded

This is just an example of cross threading. Take out the plug and if there is any damage to the threads toss it and get a new one.
As lovemysan stated get the old fuel out of the tank and refill with fresh. Way too much Heet, you only needed to add 1/2 to 1 oz. to the tank. Remember these are small engines and everything you do must be done in small dose's.

Hopefully you haven't cross threaded the plug port just the plug. When you do get around to reinstalling the plug, make sure you start it by hand and slowly turn it in until seated. Once seated use the spark plug tool to give 1/4 turn to cinch it down.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
DemRemz

Post by DemRemz »

Yea, I actually have one in the shop right now working on it. It does sound like you cross threaded it. When you start it by hand...lightly sit it on there and go counter clock wise until you fill it drop a little. For sure drain your tank and put fresh gas in it. Then after you get fresh gas and trying to start it....stick your finger in the airbox hole that is right next to where it connects to the carb. Choke it off to give it a good start....2strokes love to be choked off. Good luck!
dannyrich

Post by dannyrich »

So I took the casings off my bike to get a better look where the spark plug screws in and it's definitely stripped in there.

The spark plug I took out which the shop put in was in straight but incredibly tight. I think I had to give it three rotations before I could start doing it with my hand.

I'm thinking when I brought it to the dealership in the April they somehow stripped it and by screwing it really tight it went from the angle hand screwing it in gives you to the straight position it should be.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

dannyrich wrote:So I took the casings off my bike to get a better look where the spark plug screws in and it's definitely stripped in there.

The spark plug I took out which the shop put in was in straight but incredibly tight. I think I had to give it three rotations before I could start doing it with my hand.

I'm thinking when I brought it to the dealership in the April they somehow stripped it and by screwing it really tight it went from the angle hand screwing it in gives you to the straight position it should be.
You can have it heli coiled. Or get a new head. Should be able to fix it under a $100. How good is your shop you might call them up and talk to them, see what they'll do for you. Save that spark plug.
dannyrich

Post by dannyrich »

Got everything fixed. Able to take it out for the first time in 3 weeks and went into Boston to see a concert.

Came out after the concert and someone tried to jack my scooter. Couldn't put the key in the ignition. It's all messed up. Started looking for a new key switch but there's a lot on the web and not sure which is the correct one. Can anyone point me in the right direction