Sell my RoughHouse?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iScootAroundTown

Sell my RoughHouse?

Post by iScootAroundTown »

So, I'm looking at getting a Stella in the very near future. I currently ride an R50, but my question is, should I keep it or sell it? I could be totally wrong, but I've heard talk that 2T engines are soon to be obsolete in the states. Please correct me if I'm off base with that...like I said, I could be totally wrong. If 2Ts are going the way of the Dodo in the US, I'd think that I'd keep my R50, as it would soon become something of a collector's item. Anyway... Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I believe 50cc is the largest 2T vehicle sold new in the states anymore. And I would not be at all surprised to see them gone in the next few years. That is the direction things have been going. But I don't have any definite information.

A few manufacturers are working on new 2T technology that could make much larger bikes legal. But it will be very complex and expensive. Not the simple 2T we now have.

I have an RH50 also, and partly because it is a 2T. If you like it, can afford to keep it and a new friend, and will use it occasionally... I say keep it.

But don't keep it if it won't get used. None of our scooters like that very much!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
iScootAroundTown

Post by iScootAroundTown »

Thanks!
saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

"Obsolete" is probably the wrong term for it. They're not really sold new, but they'll never be "obsolete" any more than they were in 1970.

The 2T motors aren't becoming any more obsolete, they're just being phased out. You can't sell them in California at all. That's like, 1/5 the entire U.S. market, so no one is importing them anywhere anymore. They have always been less emission friendly and less economical. I wouldn't bet on collector's item status, but they will become harder to find if you ever wanted it back.

Instead of selling your R50 for...what, a few hundred to $1,000? and then putting that money into a $4,000 new stella, why not keep the R50 and buy a used Stella 2T for about $2,000. You end up with two classic two stroke scooters all while shelling out less than you would have even if you'd sold the R50!