Looking for advice on Black Cat purchase

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pghbc

Looking for advice on Black Cat purchase

Post by pghbc »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a 2006 50cc BC with 990 miles on it for about $400. The only issue with it I am aware of is a broken electric start button so it must be kick-started.
Naturally, I searched the internet high-and-low for all the info I can find which brought me to this forum (which I have also searched and read every post about BC I could find). Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of reviews and info to be found...especially 7 years after its production.

So, here are my questions and thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read them!
-How are BC's running today? Any issues (besides the paint job and decals) or problems that have sprung up over the years that I should be aware of?
-Is the above a fair price?
-Repair/maintenance issues? Will it cost a fortune if something needs to be fixed (not talking cosmetically)?

The scooter will mostly be used for running short errands around a large city (no highways/interstates/etc). I owned a scooter years ago (yamaha) and miss the convenience and fun factor.

Again, thank you in advance!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Less than 1,000 and only $400 start looking for frame damage.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
pghbc

Post by pghbc »

agrogod wrote:Less than 1,000 and only $400 start looking for frame damage.
Thank you! That's very helpful.
I've attached some pics too

pghbc

Post by pghbc »

Images didn't work.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

that's ridiculously cheap. But, depending, maybe the person just wanted to be rid of it.

I would ask for proof of ownership (it prolly has no title being 50cc) and if it was laid down. go with your gut. At that price, if it's in good shape and not stolen, go for it!
pghbc

Post by pghbc »

skully93 wrote:that's ridiculously cheap. But, depending, maybe the person just wanted to be rid of it.

I would ask for proof of ownership (it prolly has no title being 50cc) and if it was laid down. go with your gut. At that price, if it's in good shape and not stolen, go for it!
Awesome thanks! Yes, the seller is a friend of a friend that is moving and just wants to get rid of it.
She does have a title however the plates are expired.

I will definitely look for structural damage and will ask if it was laid down.

Thanks again!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Just keep in mind that a lot of things can be fixed if there is something wrong. But if it turns out all is well you will have the buy of the century. Not only will you own a limited edition, but it will be fun to ride. 8)
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Looks to be in great shape other than the brake levers. If it runs good, take it!