Considering buying brand new Rattler 110 from dealer..

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hugo

Considering buying brand new Rattler 110 from dealer..

Post by Hugo »

They offered me a $1900 OTD price on a leftover 2009. KBB lists the 2009 to retail at $1665.
Being discontinued by PGO and Genuine, I'm nervous about purchasing a bike that might drive me nuts to find any parts for the 2t motor.
This would be my 2nd Rattler, I had one in 2008, but sold it due to storage issues--my rock-solid reliable turtle Ruckus had seniority and is still with me.
Any thoughts on future part issues? I don't want to wait 4 months for a vital engine part, gasket or a simple filter.
"The All Is One..."
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

I know you can still get parts for it on various websites
I'd go for it
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

If you love it, go for it! 8)
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Far from the 1st scooter I have ever owned--likely far from the last. I just don't want to invest anything over a mortgage payment into something that will cost me crazy hours to simply find something such as a crank bearing for this niche/discontinued motor.
Still very tempted, but cautious.
"The All Is One..."
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Hugo wrote: such as a crank bearing for this niche/discontinued motor.
Still very tempted, but cautious.
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/rattler110crankcase

found it
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I see that many smaller parts are available on the link, but things such as right and left crank case are omitted. Makes me think that I'd have to contact somebody in Taiwan for a used case, should it split, hypothetically speaking.

I'm just concerned that not everything for the Rattler 110 will be available, and I'm pretty sure that it will dry up before time of need.

I'm not sure how popular this 110cc 2t motor is, or how long it has been out.

Something like a 49cc horizontal Minerelli would have part replacement probably long after I'm dead (ex: Malossi/Polini), for it has been an established motor.
"The All Is One..."
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

"not everything" is available for pretty much any vehicle ever made; unless it is something like an old VW or MGB.

You won't have to worry about replacing the left crankcase until you have 20,000 miles or more on it, and probably not even then.

I think that if the price is right and you want it, buy it. (If it were near where I live I'd love to have it.) Parts support is good, and much better than for many other scooters.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

i agree with oldguy, if you want it, and you think you will enjoy it, and its in your price range , go for it.
i got to ride a rattler earlier this year at my local scooter shop and it was blast.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You can also go this route, buy parts and stockpile them. Especially the small stuff.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Definitely go for it. Like stated above, you can get parts in multiple places. Even in the worst case, you could always swap the 110 for the regular 49 RH motor.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:Definitely go for it. Like stated above, you can get parts in multiple places. Even in the worst case, you could always swap the 110 for the regular 49 RH motor.
Good point. I'll kick it around.

I used to own a 2006 Piaggio typhoon 50 which I modified 70cc (boy I miss that bike). When that stopped being imported into the USA, I had no worries, because Piaggio (the GM of Europe) used that motor on many other models around the world--not to mention what Malossi and Polini has to offer.

The Rattler 110 concerned me, due to the fact that PGO is the only limited source for major replacement parts. Should the rear wheel warp from these Boston potholes, scooter lounge doesn't have the actual part # listed.

I'm currently bouncing between the Rattler or finding a used 49cc 2t to modify. My old Typhoon used to pin the speedo (60+) with the Malossi mods installed.
"The All Is One..."
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

If this is a "new" rattler from a Genuine dealer, then you should be getting a 2 year warranty with it. If you are the first owner this is all a non-issue. I bought my 2009 leftover in 2011 and got a full warranty.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Not so much concerned about warranty, for I do all of my work on my own--been doing it for years. Sure, I could bring a problem 56 miles back to the dealer, but that doesn't guarantee that I won't be waiting 60 days for repair on a back-ordered item.
"The All Is One..."
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Even if the engine went south, just swap something else in there. Very simple bike.

Always wanted it over the Rattler 50 I used to have. Very unique bikes in the scooter world.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

That sounds pretty impressive, and if the stock wheels are half as hard to find as aftermarket replacements, you'll be up a creek. The buck 10's have a 12in in the front and a 10 in the back and I've looked around and contacted Genuine more than a couple times about finding a 12in rear with no luck...