Front brakes

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

oceanman5

Front brakes

Post by oceanman5 »

Just reached 2000 miles on my 2013 R50 and received my second service at the dealership at the 1960 mile mark. I noticed that my front brakes felt a bit different but not enough to complain. It's now worst and my brake rotor is not smooth anymore. So, a few questions. Would that have been something they would have checked during my sevice? Do pads wear out that quickly and what should I do next? I'm in Atlanta.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

my pads were Completely gone by 4000 miles id suggest checking them.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

No, thats not typically checked in a basic service. Unless they are squeaking or something super noticeable.
buddyz

Re: Front brakes

Post by buddyz »

Put it on the centerstand and rotate the front wheel. It should spin freely without the pads rubbing. Sometimes the calipers don't float like they should and the brake pads rub instead of retracting. This causes excess heat and the rotor can warp. I'm thinking about upgrading to a nicer two piston caliper by NCY. Or you can just lubricate the caliper.

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-forged- ... 4PhZuawJU8

Probably a nicer rotor too! :-)
oceanman5 wrote:Just reached 2000 miles on my 2013 R50 and received my second service at the dealership at the 1960 mile mark. I noticed that my front brakes felt a bit different but not enough to complain. It's now worst and my brake rotor is not smooth anymore. So, a few questions. Would that have been something they would have checked during my sevice? Do pads wear out that quickly and what should I do next? I'm in Atlanta.
Roughhouse 50: NCY Supertrans, 8 gram Dr. Pulley sliders, Low down shock, eliminated fender and reflectors, Bar end mirror, LED ground effects, Hidden tender port