shock clearance issue

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theemptythrone

shock clearance issue

Post by theemptythrone »

Just ordered a new shock. The spring is slightly too big in diameter, so it rubs on the back of my air box. Just barely touches it, but I don't want it to cause a problem. It's a good shock, so I want to try to make it work. So I have an idea:
If I put the heat gun to the back plastic on my airbox, and put a slight dent into it, do you think it would affect the performance of the airbox?
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I would think as long as it does not interfere with the air filter you should be ok.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I agree with agrogod. If you have to displace it up to 1/4" I wouldn't worry about it. More than that? The I'd want to understand more about what I am affecting.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Or another thought....you could use this as an excuse/opportunity to get a foam pod air filter!
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

ender i have thought about them, but ive heard that its hard to get the right amount of air with those, they either suck too much in or vise versa

i also ride it all forms of weather and be it rain or dust, and i dont wanna junk up my stuff ya know?
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

theemptythrone wrote:ender i have thought about them, but ive heard that its hard to get the right amount of air with those, they either suck too much in or vise versa

i also ride it all forms of weather and be it rain or dust, and i dont wanna junk up my stuff ya know?
Have you read my post? topic27153.html
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing