Lag at 30mph Help! needs fixed asap!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MonsterHouse 50

Lag at 30mph Help! needs fixed asap!

Post by MonsterHouse 50 »

Hey guys I have a 2013 roughhouse 50 that I adore. The issue I have is I just installed a prima exhaust on it and I'm getting some serious lag at 26-34 mph. After I hot 45 I take of to roughly 60mph.
I need some help please!
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Did you up jet/modify your airbox?
You could be running lean/rich
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
MonsterHouse 50

It came with a single 90 jet and I did put it in. I didn't receive anything else and didn't know what to do. What should I do? Thank you!
MonsterHouse 50

theemptythrone wrote:Did you up jet/modify your airbox?
You could be running lean/rich
I have another question when removing the stock exhaust what are you supposed to do with the filter type return tube on the old exhaust. I would like to pick your brains would you be willing to text me? Thanks again!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Check your plug first, but I can bet your running rich. If that's the case, inside the air filter housing is a foam pre-filter, remove it which will allow better air flow through the paper filter.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
MonsterHouse 50

agrogod wrote:Check your plug first, but I can bet your running rich. If that's the case, inside the air filter housing is a foam pre-filter, remove it which will allow better air flow through the paper filter.
Thanks man I will try it out asap thank you so much!
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

What weights are you running?
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
MonsterHouse 50

lovemysan wrote:What weights are you running?

Stock.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Yep that won't work to well. I found that my r50 liked 4.8 gram weights at 250lbs rider weight. With 140lb rider we went up to 5.1 grams. Your trying to minimize the bog caused by the torque driver shifting by moving thrrpms up into the power band. The prima pipe is kinda peaky with a stock cylinder.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

[quote=
I have another question when removing the stock exhaust what are you supposed to do with the filter type return tube on the old exhaust. I would like to pick your brains would you be willing to text me? Thanks again![/quote]

When my OEM exhaust pipe rusted out, I replaced it with a Technigas pipe (which I consider too loud, and did not bolt right on...until I modified it), anyway, there was no fitting on it to reattach that exhaust recirculation hose....so, I just tucked it back up behind the rear tire fender, so it is held out of the way. I think it is simply for emissions, and will not affect performance much.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You can do one of two things. Remove the EGR fitting leaving just the rubber tube off the engine and put a large enough bolt in to seal off the tube.
Or remove all of the EGR including the tubing and find a rubber cap to place over the fitting on the engine.
2nd option being the better of the two.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Just curious Agro, does it help the engine or performance to plug the EGR tube? If so, I will do it. Thanks.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Stinkdyr wrote:Just curious Agro, does it help the engine or performance to plug the EGR tube? If so, I will do it. Thanks.
Neither. All the EGR does is recirculate exhaust to be re-burnt in the muffler. Its supposed to improve fuel economy and clean up the exhaust, but you blow that all away when you add an aftermarket exhaust into the mix. As for a stock pipe it really won't do much in the way of improving performance or improving engine out put. Your choice to leave it on or remove it.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Thx Agro. So, if I leave the EGR stuff on the bike, and I plug the hose that used to be connected to the OEM muffler, then I am just trying to prevent dirt or moisture from being drawn up into the engine?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Exactly, specially water. Very bad for our little engines.
bennfine

Post by bennfine »

agrogod wrote:Exactly, specially water. Very bad for our little engines.
complete noob here. is the black rectangle on the inside of the stock exhaust mount the EGR? trying to put on an aftermarket pipe and wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with that thing...do I drill holes and attach it to my new exhaust frame? thanks
Attachments
current_exhaust.jpg
current_exhaust.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
new_exhaust.jpg
new_exhaust.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
mysteryitem2.jpg
mysteryitem2.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

agrogod wrote:... All the EGR does is recirculate exhaust to be re-burnt in the muffler. Its supposed to improve fuel economy and clean up the exhaust...
Close, but incorrect...the air injector takes in air from the CVT case to inject into the exhaust upstream of the cat, to help the cat burn off the excess fuel. It has nothing to do with economy or power...in this application it is totally for 2T emissions control.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You do know that EGR is short for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Exhaust being the key word :)
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

agrogod wrote:You do know that EGR is short for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Exhaust being the key word :)
Yes, of course!

I also know that this isn't an EGR system...so should you. :wink:
vmaxrattler110

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

Yes, of course! 

I also know that this isn't an EGR system...so should you. 
What is it then and what are we plugging/ protecting?

Thanks.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

vmaxrattler110 wrote:
Yes, of course! 

I also know that this isn't an EGR system...so should you. 
What is it then and what are we plugging/ protecting?

Thanks.
In the true sense of the word it is not a bonafide EGR system like you would find on a car, but it does do a similar job, and for lack of a better term. re-vent exhaust back through the pipe.
When you remove the tubing as it was originally designed you would leave a gaping entry point for outside elements, i.e. water,dirt, to gain access into your engine. Plugging the rubber tube or the engine opening should prevent this from happening.
vmaxrattler110

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

Thanks for the info!
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

agrogod wrote:...
In the true sense of the word it is not a bonafide EGR system like you would find on a car, but it does do a similar job, and for lack of a better term. re-vent exhaust back through the pipe.
When you remove the tubing as it was originally designed you would leave a gaping entry point for outside elements, i.e. water,dirt, to gain access into your engine. Plugging the rubber tube or the engine opening should prevent this from happening.
Umm, no... not at all. There is NO "exhaust gas" being recirculated through the engine on a Rat 110. The secondary air injection plumbing is taking air from the CVT case & selectively sending it to the exhaust to help the catalytic converter work at max efficiency.

If the OEM exhaust is replaced with another non-CAT exhaust that does not have the SAI inlet in it (the narrow diameter metal tubing) then then all of the SAI plumbing can be removed & the black rubber tube air outlet pipe from the CVT case to the SAI equipment can be capped with a 1/2" or so rubber stopper. That's it.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

^ B02S4, after taking a good close inspection of my RH I stand corrected. But as it stands, you stated as well as I, it needs to be capped off.
Mikestib1

Re: Lag at 30mph Help! needs fixed asap!

Post by Mikestib1 »

MonsterHouse 50 wrote:Hey guys I have a 2013 roughhouse 50 that I adore. The issue I have is I just installed a prima exhaust on it and I'm getting some serious lag at 26-34 mph. After I hot 45 I take of to roughly 60mph.
I need some help please!
I'd bet you need a #42 pilot jet and adjust the mixture screw.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
Mikestib1

Racing expansion chamber by Prima

Post by Mikestib1 »

Great at high rpm and lousy everywhere else . It's for racing not very day use, I could be wrong but usually you do this mod with 70 BBK which takes care of the low speed issue due to the larger displacement.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe