A few questions

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tibbsy

A few questions

Post by Tibbsy »

Hi everyone, I'm new to scooters and I am going to be purchasing a new RH50 next week. I've ordered a nice helmet today and I'm really excited to be riding. The slaughterhouse build looks fantastic - there are some great upgrades there that I think would actually be really beneficial.

I only have a few questions (I've been trying to read as much as I can).

1.) My biggest concern is the environmental aspect of the scooter. It gets great mpg, but the emissions are terrible. Is there any way to make it greener, like an air filter or something?

2.) I see people talking about contra springs, but I can't seem to find a place to buy them? I'm not sure I'll even need to change the stock one, but I live in a very hilly area and the commute to work requires going up a rather long, steep hill in particular. I'm 6'1, 165 lbs if that matters. I was thinking 1500?

3.) Where are the roller or sliding weights located? I see that some people recommend swapping out the stock weights for something like 6 or 6.5g weights, but I don't know where they are supposed to be replaced.

Thanks!
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

As far as it being green. Its a two stroke so the stock factory setting is as green as you're going to get.

Contra springs and weights are both located in your cvt case
The contra spring is what engages your clutch, which then catches your clutch bell and engages your final drive

Your roller weights are in your variator they slide or roll along your variator witch allows it to expand and retract, this is basically your version of different gear ratios.

Its a bad explanation but i hope it helps.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Tibbsy

Post by Tibbsy »

theemptythrone wrote:As far as it being green. Its a two stroke so the stock factory setting is as green as you're going to get.

Contra springs and weights are both located in your cvt case
The contra spring is what engages your clutch, which then catches your clutch bell and engages your final drive

Your roller weights are in your variator they slide or roll along your variator witch allows it to expand and retract, this is basically your version of different gear ratios.

Its a bad explanation but i hope it helps.
Nope, that perfect! Thanks for the info on the rollers - I knew I had missed something somewhere. As for the contra spring, I knew it was in the CVT, but where can you buy different ones online?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

To give you a little more involved explanation about the emissions. The stock exhaust pipe is a catalytic type, there is a smaller pipe that is routed through an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. This is your emission control for the RH50. The pipe itself gets hot enough to burn off any left over gases. Since these are small 2T class engines, and the small stature of the scooter itself really leaves no room for an practical full sized emission system that you have on a car. As empty stated, its as good as it gets.

For a more detailed explanation follow the link I have supplied, scroll down about four post's to get the answer to your CVT question.

And depending on your weight and how steep the hills are in your area a 1500 or even a 2000 spring will give you a good hill climbing ability. Be for warned, the springs will wear in and will diminish a little after break-in so going heavier does have its advantages.

LINK
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

RH50 parts

PARTS
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Tibbsy

Post by Tibbsy »

agrogod wrote:To give you a little more involved explanation about the emissions. The stock exhaust pipe is a catalytic type, there is a smaller pipe that is routed through an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. This is your emission control for the RH50. The pipe itself gets hot enough to burn off any left over gases. Since these are small 2T class engines, and the small stature of the scooter itself really leaves no room for an practical full sized emission system that you have on a car. As empty stated, its as good as it gets.

For a more detailed explanation follow the link I have supplied, scroll down about four post's to get the answer to your CVT question.

And depending on your weight and how steep the hills are in your area a 1500 or even a 2000 spring will give you a good hill climbing ability. Be for warned, the springs will wear in and will diminish a little after break-in so going heavier does have its advantages.

LINK
Fantastic - thank you for the information. I guess I'll just have to switch to other things that are greener and run the scooter anyways ;) I don't really have much of a choice here.

Do people typically swap out the CVT for something like the Slaughterhouse build NCY Super Transmission or leave it stock? The only upgrades I was planning was a different headlamp bulb, a rack and a milk crate (at least at first). Contra Spring, wheels, and maybe the lower seat at a later point. I'd also like to mod to the direct ignition switch at some point.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

i haven't done much to my cvt besides the ncy golden variator and 6.5 sliders.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Tibbsy

Post by Tibbsy »

Sounds good - thanks again. Can't wait to get riding this thing :)