I split my...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

agrogod

I split my...

Post by agrogod »

Oil tank! I think I know when it happened. About three weeks ago filled the tank to top it off and went out for an errand run. On Main street there are recessed natural gas line covers. I normally avoid those and manhole covers but this time I missed one and ka-chunk right over the top I ride.
It jolted the whole scoot pretty hard but since I didn't blow a tire or hear any weird noises didn't think any thing of it, just keep a mental note to be more vigilante.
So got home and started to notice a puddling of oil under the bike by the next morning. As the days went by what I thought was just me sloppily filling the oil it continued to drip.
So I then thought since I just did the upper rebuild a few months ago that one of the retainer nuts must have worked loose, but that didn't make sense to me since the engine was running strong. So my next thought was I had twisted the oil feed tube and it got cracked.
So finally after putting it off for way to long I finally tore down the bucket to get at the oil tank.
Took out the tank to look at the feed line and staring me in the face was a 2 inch long crack on the right side.
Well off to the auto store to get something to fix it. Went with a Permatex plastic repair kit. Comes with everything you need to fix damage done to plastic pieces, Epoxy resin, fiberglass patch, alcohol swab, sandpaper and the all important instructions.
Followed to instructions to the letter and now I have a repaired oil tank that doesn't leak.
So if you have an oil leak for some unknown reason check out the tank as it my have damage.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

thats crazy!
thats the last thing i would ever worry about.
sheesh man
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Yeah how 'bout it. Never would have considered that particular piece to get cracked in that manner. The weirdness of the 2009 line continues.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Any idea of the availability/cost of a replacement tank?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Seems finding the tank is difficult at best. Fixing the problem myself was quicker and not to expensive, 6.89 plus tax and 40 minutes of my time.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Good fix; thanks for the info. (Just in case...)
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Re-checked the repair yesterday and its good and solid. Should last a long time. I did look at the receipt again and saw it was 11.89 for the kit. Still not that expensive.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Wow, that bites. Thx for the heads up, Agro. Boston has such crappy streets full of potholes, it might be a future problem for me too.

:shock:
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Like I said the 2009 model year was a flaky one with all sorts of weird problems. Hopefully the latter years don't run into the same type of troubles.