Gear Box Oil Amount

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

veggie_cracker

Gear Box Oil Amount

Post by veggie_cracker »

I've put close to 3000 miles on my Rough House and decided it was long over due for an oil change.

I just drained the gear box on my Rough House 50 and I had about 200 ml of fluid.

That's kinda confusing because the manual tells me to replace it with 110 ml of SAE 140 Gear Box Oil.

Anyone else notice this after their first time replacing the oil?

Thanks everyone.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

I just co with the usual 90 cc
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I find it difficult to believe you got 200 ml. out of the gear box. With that much oil there would have been seepage, very noticeable seepage. Not to mention poor performance from foaming oil and gear drag.
That being said the accepted re-fill amount is 90 ml. This allows for leftover oil that is in the box, that you won't be able to remove, due to the way the box is shaped. Just remember these are small scoots. You work with small increments of anything you add.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
veggie_cracker

Gear Box

Post by veggie_cracker »

agrogod wrote:I find it difficult to believe you got 200 ml. out of the gear box. With that much oil there would have been seepage, very noticeable seepage. Not to mention poor performance from foaming oil and gear drag.
That being said the accepted re-fill amount is 90 ml. This allows for leftover oil that is in the box, that you won't be able to remove, due to the way the box is shaped. Just remember these are small scoots. You work with small increments of anything you add.
Believe it. Doesn't seem right to me either. My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.
B02S4

Re: Gear Box

Post by B02S4 »

veggie_cracker wrote:... My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.
Your first thought appears incorrect.
veggie_cracker

Post by veggie_cracker »

B02S4 wrote:
veggie_cracker wrote:... My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.
Your first thought appears incorrect.
Why does my first thought appear incorrect? Do you have anything to add to the discussion or are you trying to be funny?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Because of import/export laws they are normally shipped dry. Fluids are added at the dealer as part of pre-prep for sale.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

veggie_cracker wrote:...are you trying to be funny?
No.

The most likely scenario is whomever filled the gearbox made a mistake. Manufacturers don't make money by systemically overfilling fluids.